20 replies to this topic

#1 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,309 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted June 21, 2009 - 07:59 AM

LOS ANGELES—Even though Shaquille O’Neal’s name should only be mentioned in the same sentence as the words “overrated” and “overweight,” it got plenty of play during the NBA Finals with both of his old teams (back when he was good) squaring off and Kobe Bryant winning his first title without the “Big Lazy.”  

Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but, that was quite possibly one of the worst NBA Finals I have ever witnessed. Certainly, it can be agreed that these playoffs got worse as each round went on. The first round was pretty exciting. The second round – not so much. And by the conference finals and finals it was downright tough to watch.  

For the Lakers, their road to the finals was very similar to the rest of the NBA. Against the Utah Jazz in the first round, the Lakers were focused and ready and were not going to let the Jazz beat them. In the second round a disinterested Kobe and Co. let the Rockets take them to a game seven before waking up and advancing to the conference finals against the Nuggets.  

This is where the Lakers had met their match was what I heard. The only things the Nuggets lead the league in are tattoos and mentally weak employees (this includes coaches) and yet they are somehow going to upset the Lakers? After looking good early in the series the Nuggets imploded, the Lakers exploded and won it in six games.  

On the other side of the continent the Orlando Magic somehow upset the darling of the NBA Playoffs – LeBron James – to advance to their first NBA Finals since “you know who” was losing to Hakeem Olajuwon in '95. So the Finals were set, the Los Angeles Lakers would be taking on the team coached by the Van Gundy with a mustache and a bunch of guys tall for their position but actually play much shorter (which is probably the worst type of team to root for). Oh yeah, and they shoot a ton of threes.  

Van Gundy made the first mistake of the finals before it even got going. He decided to go against what everyone who has ever watched sports knows: You don’t mess with a winning lineup. Van Gundy decides to mess instead and brings back all-star point guard Jameer Nelson who hasn’t played since, like, February. Obviously, temperamental point guard Rafer Alston doesn’t respond to looking over his shoulder and Anthony Johnson doesn’t respond at all as his playing time is immediately cut to make room for Nelson. By the way, if Alston (aka Skip to my Lou) is such a tough street-baller from New York how can he be such a drama queen/diva in the NBA? If I was a New York City street-baller I would get a hold of him before he continues to embarrass New York City playground hoops.  

Anyway, as the series went on it became obvious that this nice little Orlando team was in way over their head. Their go-to guy is probably Hedo Turkoglu, but going to him means watching him dribble the leather off the ball and accidentally/on purpose running out the shot clock so he has to shoot.  

Rashard Lewis is a deadly outside shooter (when he’s on but who isn’t?) but with a seven foot wingspan could be much more valuable near the hoop. And Dwight Howard, with all I’ve heard about him I was actually excited to see if the Lakers Twin Towers of Bynum and Gasol could contain him. That was before I realized that nobody did a better job of containing Howard than Howard himself. With his lack of post moves and terrible habit of bending over at the waist every time he gets the ball down low, Howard could have been guarded just as effectively by Jordan Farmar and Shannon Brown.  

So Kobe won his first title without Shaq but does it really count since the competition got worse as the playoffs went on? Shouldn’t the Lakers have played the Celtics, or at least the Cavaliers?  

Obviously the Lakers are the best team in the NBA for the 2009 season but shouldn’t they have to validate next season against a championship-caliber team? The Magic won one game in the Finals and had to shoot an NBA Finals record 63 percent to do it. Next year give me Lebron or the Celtics or whoever just as long as they are worthy.  

http://www.canyon-ne...ticlimactic.php

#2 RayRay

RayRay

Sixth Man

• 3,508 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Hobe

Posted June 21, 2009 - 08:47 AM

garbage read.
He literally wrote "Howard could have been guarded just as effectively by Jordan Farmar and Shannon Brown. " lol
I love when journalists who have never played the game attempt to analyze it this much.
This dudes a retard hands down.
only Kobe can stop Kobe.

#3 xplayforrealx

xplayforrealx

Rookie

• 350 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant and Sasha Vujacic

Posted June 21, 2009 - 09:45 AM

^Agreed. He's just bitter the Lakers finally won a title in over 6 years.
Mike Breen: Walton can tip it. Bryant with the save.
Hubie Brown: Oh you gotta get a shot here
Mike Breen: Final Seconds.. Bryant for the win, BANG!

Your signature violates forum guidelines.

#4 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Rookie

• 238 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem

Posted June 21, 2009 - 10:36 AM

I'm sure it was even more anticlimactic for the Celtics and Cavs to be overtaken by what, judging by this article, barely qualifies as a team.

Edited by fanboyslim, June 21, 2009 - 10:37 AM.

#5 G-Small

G-Small

Lakers World Order

• 441 posts
  • Name:G-Small
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Nickey Maxwell VanExel III

Posted June 21, 2009 - 10:58 AM

A LOT of hurt feelings with this Ship.

#6 destiny-dynasty

destiny-dynasty

Rookie

• 368 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 21, 2009 - 11:32 AM

At least we agree on one thing. We look forward to next season when the Lakers face whoever makes it to the finals, be it the Cavs, Celts (I hope for payback's sake and cuz they talk too much) or "whoever...are worthy"

#7 Nobody

Nobody

Sixth Man

• 3,396 posts

Posted June 21, 2009 - 12:25 PM

Just trying to squeeze out the last juice in the kobe can't win without shaq angle. He'll have to face it sooner or later.

#8 revgen

revgen

Rookie

• 969 posts

Posted June 21, 2009 - 12:33 PM

Worst Finals ever?

Did he watch Cleveland vs San Antonio?

#9 A_V_R

A_V_R

A firm disbeliever in your punch clock promise

• 394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted June 21, 2009 - 01:12 PM

Easily worst finals ever

for anyone who Hates Kobe's Lakers.

#10 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted June 21, 2009 - 02:28 PM

Seriously, who gives a damn. We're champions now.
Basketball Reasons...

#11 kray28

kray28

Rookie

• 1,161 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 21, 2009 - 04:13 PM

Brought to by some nobody who writes for the Canyon News. LOL.

He actually asks if the championship counts since the Lakers didn't have to play the Celtics (beat by Orlando) or the Crabs (beat by Orlando).
Posted Image

#12 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,347 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted June 21, 2009 - 04:29 PM

Anyway, as the series went on it became obvious that this nice little Orlando team was in way over their head. Their go-to guy is probably Hedo Turkoglu, but going to him means watching him dribble the leather off the ball and accidentally/on purpose running out the shot clock so he has to shoot.

It would have been interesting what he would be saying if Courtney Lee hit that layup at the buzzer, or Dwight Howard hit one of those two free throws with 11.1 seconds left. The ball just bounced in the Lakers court. Orlando was a "worthy" team.

The Magic won one game in the Finals and had to shoot an NBA Finals record 63 percent to do it. Next year give me Lebron or the Celtics or whoever just as long as they are worthy

The Cleveland Cavaliers won two game in the Eastern Conference Finals, and it took a game winner from Lebron to win it in Game 2. But wait, Cleveland is Worthy. This guy was sad that Cleveland finally lost a game at home.

That's why Cleveland lost by an average of 8.3 on the road in the conference finals right?

Cleveland would have had a "cupcake walk" to the Finals if it wasn't for the pesky Magic.

#13 kray28

kray28

Rookie

• 1,161 posts

Posted June 21, 2009 - 06:51 PM

If it had been the Crabs in the Finals (same Crabs that went down 3-1 to the "lowly" Magic)...it would have been a sweep.

Lakers beat the Crabs by a combined 27 pts in their two regular season meetings, and one of those was without Bynum on the road in Cleveland.

It would have been ugly...and no amount of ref help could have saved them from getting exposed. They should consider themselves fortunate that the Magic put them out of their misery and saved them the monumental embarrassment they would have suffered against the Lakers.
Posted Image

#14 Rubynator

Rubynator

Best closer in the game

• 2,607 posts
  • Fan Since:5
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic,West,Bynum

Posted June 22, 2009 - 01:46 AM

^ Agreed people are way overrating the Cavs just because of their season. Magic had the toughest opponents in the playoffs and they responded greatly 3 series w/o HCA against the defending champs, number 1 seeded team in the NBA, a scary Philly team and the eventual champs. You can't discredit them for accomplishing what they did in the playoffs. I would have rather watch LA face the Cavs then the Magic in a 7 games series.
QUOTE "I was just letting the shots fly. You know, I don't leave any bullets in the chamber." - Kobe Bryant

Posted Image

what Chick Hearn was to the "ear" of the fans, I want to be to the "eye" of the fans

-LD2K aka Chris

#15 Yaboy

Yaboy

Sixth Man

• 3,600 posts

Posted June 22, 2009 - 05:09 AM

Easily worst finals ever

for anyone who Hates Kobe's Lakers.

I agree there's so much Laker haters.

de__anthony_thomas_by_eksde-d5e4v29.png

"Love me or hate me it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, hate my swagger, hate my fade-away, my hunger, hate that i'm a veteran, A champion, hate that. Hate it with all your heart, and hate that i'm loved for the exact same reasons." - Kobe

#16 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,347 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted June 22, 2009 - 05:22 AM

If it had been the Crabs in the Finals (same Crabs that went down 3-1 to the "lowly" Magic)...it would have been a sweep.

Lakers beat the Crabs by a combined 27 pts in their two regular season meetings, and one of those was without Bynum on the road in Cleveland.

It would have been ugly...and no amount of ref help could have saved them from getting exposed. They should consider themselves fortunate that the Magic put them out of their misery and saved them the monumental embarrassment they would have suffered against the Lakers.

I would have loved to see that actually, I would have nothing to complain about the Lakers with flawless victories in the finals.

#17 KobeDynasty

KobeDynasty

-

• 3,880 posts

Posted June 22, 2009 - 07:57 AM

^ Agreed people are way overrating the Cavs just because of their season. Magic had the toughest opponents in the playoffs and they responded greatly 3 series w/o HCA against the defending champs, number 1 seeded team in the NBA, a scary Philly team and the eventual champs. You can't discredit them for accomplishing what they did in the playoffs. I would have rather watch LA face the Cavs then the Magic in a 7 games series.

the magics had an easy road to the finals.

the sixers have an injured elton brand. the celtics have an injured garnett while the cavs have only lebronZ james running the show while compared to the healthy and talented team like the lakers the cavs or the magics doesn't even stand a chance.

Edited by Vitek, June 22, 2009 - 07:59 AM.

333.jpg

#18 Superstar Basketball

Superstar Basketball

Rookie

• 315 posts
  • Name:Commish
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted June 22, 2009 - 08:20 AM

I would have loved to see that actually, I would have nothing to complain about the Lakers with flawless victories in the finals.

I still want Lakers vs. Celtics Re-match!
www.superstarbasketball.org
"Basketball isn't just a game, it's a lifestyle"
SEASON 14
BACK TO BASICS

#19 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,226 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted June 22, 2009 - 11:32 AM

Its funny some media just cannot bring themselves to admit that the Lakers are the best team in the NBA again - and that the team is bigger than any one player.

It just kills some writers - and i love it!

#20 hi_ma

hi_ma

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted June 22, 2009 - 11:59 AM

IMO it was more relief than joy
Kobe's official reign of terror is about to get its jump off on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users