9 replies to this topic

#1 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted August 25, 2008 - 08:03 PM

Looks like after the success of TDK, and the lack of success for Superman Returns, WB is now starting from scratch with Superman...

Just a few days after this article was posted, Warner Bros. Pictures Group President Jeff Robinov has told The Wall Street Journal that the studio is going to be reintroducing Superman. We assume this will be similar to how Louis Leterrier's The Incredible Hulk was a reboot of Ang Lee's Hulk. Here is what the article says:

Warner Bros. also put on hold plans for another movie starring multiple superheroes -- known as "Batman vs. Superman" -- after the $215 million "Superman Returns," which had disappointing box-office returns, didn't please executives. "'Superman' didn't quite work as a film in the way that we wanted it to," says Mr. Robinov. "It didn't position the character the way he needed to be positioned." "Had 'Superman' worked in 2006, we would have had a movie for Christmas of this year or 2009," he adds. "But now the plan is just to reintroduce Superman without regard to a Batman and Superman movie at all."

The article also talks about Warner Bros. adapting other DC properties over the new few years. "By 2011, Mr. Robinov plans for DC Comics to supply the material for up to two of the six to eight tent-pole films he hopes Warner Bros. will have in the pipeline by then," it says. Those projects will likely be about single characters at first, and will be darker much like The Dark Knight:

With "Batman vs. Superman" and "Justice League" stalled, Warner Bros. has quietly adopted Marvel's model of releasing a single film for each character, and then using those movies and their sequels to build up to a multicharacter film. "Along those lines, we have been developing every DC character that we own," Mr. Robinov says.

Like the recent Batman sequel -- which has become the highest-grossing film of the year thus far -- Mr. Robinov wants his next pack of superhero movies to be bathed in the same brooding tone as "The Dark Knight." Creatively, he sees exploring the evil side to characters as the key to unlocking some of Warner Bros.' DC properties. "We're going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it," he says. That goes for the company's Superman franchise as well.

The studio is set to announce its plans for future DC movies in the next month. For now, though, it is focused on releasing four comic-book films in the next three years, including a third Batman film, a new film reintroducing Superman, and two movies focusing on other DC Comics characters. Movies featuring Green Lantern, Flash, Green Arrow, and Wonder Woman are all in active development.

What do you all think of a "darker" story to the Superman mythos? Personally, I really don't like the idea.

#2 Maddocks

Maddocks

Hunt You Down Without Mercy

• 5,329 posts

Posted August 25, 2008 - 08:05 PM

superman cant be "dark" hes the HOPE of DC, hes the light thats bright and all, batman is the dark one, the bad person deep down.

I see faith in your eyes
never you hear the discouraging lies
broken is the promise, betrayal
the healing hand held back by deepened nail
follow the god that failed

#3 DeeZee

DeeZee

Sixth Man

• 4,166 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe. Shaq. Magic. Kareem.

Posted August 25, 2008 - 09:03 PM

i read this on ign.com yesterday

#4 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted August 25, 2008 - 10:41 PM

this is stupid, i cant believe theyre gonna try and get more money out of superman like they did the HULK and it wont have sucess like TDK
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#5 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted August 25, 2008 - 11:25 PM

superman cant be "dark" hes the HOPE of DC, hes the light thats bright and all, batman is the dark one, the bad person deep down.

My sentiments exactly. Superman is a boy scout/farmboy. Instead of addressing one of the real problems (like how about a super-villain that will have Superman use his full arsenal of powers, and maybe a fight scene or two would also be great), they try to fix a non-existent one.

What will they think of next? A dark Flash movie?

#6 Dodgers2213

Dodgers2213

Rookie

• 411 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem

Posted August 26, 2008 - 03:13 PM

I KNOW HOW TO MAKE A MOVIE GREAT AND DEEP...MAKE THEM DARK!!!!111ONE!!!
-9/11 Truth is far more stupid than Creation Science; The people in it are far more stupid than the people you meet in Creation Science. Their arguments are far more mixed up and confused and convoluted. You are likely to be left wondering why anyone with half a brain could possibly believe this.
-Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution"

#7 Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles

Bile

• 280 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Byron Scott

Posted September 05, 2008 - 08:29 AM

I like the idea of a reboot, but not a dark reboot. Superman Returns (which I didn't think was as bad as most people did) was OK, but like the Warner Bros. dude Jeff Robinov said, the movie didn't leave much in terms of where to take the franchise.

The one thing I PRAY they DO NOT do is get rid of the Superman March by John Williams. That song is one of the greatest in movie history. It gets you so pumped up. But get new EVERYONE and start at the beginning. But Superman was written as a Christ like figure. To make him dark like Bats would be stupid and completely out of character with the comics.

#8 lakerswiz

lakerswiz

Off The Bench

• 2,578 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 05, 2008 - 01:37 PM

As long as Kate Bosworth is in it I could really care less.

<3

#9 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,294 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 06, 2008 - 08:48 PM

I dig Superman, but Once Christopher Reeve died, he took Superman with him.. RIP
Posted Image

#10 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,684 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 07, 2008 - 11:16 PM

I was hoping that Superman's son could do something, It seems it won't happen...
They should have gone with the second movie and make the changes, Superman returns didn't work because it was a cheesy love story more than Superman. They should have continued and make it better, not try to redo it completley, I don't think it's going to work.

Edited by netlord, September 07, 2008 - 11:19 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users