Photo

World Champions banner at the top is stupid...

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#41 Machinehead

Machinehead

BringBackSasha

• 6,671 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:Radmanovic's long hair days.
  • Fav. Laker:Sasha Vujacic

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:34 PM

Stefi and I were talking about this after Sasha tweeted "World Champions" and she basically said the same thing DB said.
Posted Image

#42 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:35 PM

The very best in the world play in the NBA, it's fair to call the champions in a league with the best players in the world, World Champions.

Its very simple to most of us.

It's dumb, that's all I'm saying.

The NBA is the best league in the world, the Lakers are the best team in the world, but untill it is proved no one can call themsleves World Champions.

Stefi and I were talking about this after Sasha tweeted "World Champions" and she basically said the same thing DB said.

Which is exactly my point, to people who are educated on WORLD Basketball, this "WOrld Champions" title is quite stupid.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#43 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

As I said, the USA doesn't always win in the International tournamensts. Going by the last Olympics, Argentina has the best home grown talent in the world. Although the stars of that team DO play in the NBA, the players that make it click play in Europe and Argentina.

Spain won the last FIBA World Championship as well.

I'm not saying the NBA isn't the best league in the world, because that would be quite dumb. But untill the Lakers beat the best foreign side, no one has the right to call them world champions.

Yeah, the USA doesn't always win international competitions, but that's when they don't use the very best
players available.

#44 LakerFanInOmaha!

LakerFanInOmaha!

Rookie

• 1,160 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

:wall:
2009 NBA Champions!!!

#45 Kam

Kam

Basketball Immortality

• 2,455 posts
  • Name:Kam Pashai
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:37 PM

I disagree. :coffee:

#46 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:37 PM

Yeah, the USA doesn't always win international competitions, but that's when they don't use the very best
players available.

If the USA is so good I thought you'd still be able to win with the likes of Dwyane Wade :rolleyes:

#47 kingjeezy♕

kingjeezy♕

Creator of All Interesting Threads™

• 3,051 posts
  • Name:RJNavarrete
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:38 PM

I disagree. :coffee:

I think we might have to lay a rap down in this biatch, Kam... :hmm:

#48 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:39 PM

If the USA is so good I thought you'd still be able to win with the likes of Dwyane Wade :rolleyes:

Now you're using flawed reasoning. :rolleyes:

#49 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:43 PM

You're arguing semantics. If you want to go even more literal, they aren't the world champs until they beat every single team that exists in the world. You can't take everything completely literally.

In the world of sports, when the you go against the best competition in the league that is widely considered the best, then you are considered "World Champions".

#50 Machinehead

Machinehead

BringBackSasha

• 6,671 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:Radmanovic's long hair days.
  • Fav. Laker:Sasha Vujacic

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:43 PM

My side of the argument with Stefi was that you have all these players from around the world coming to play in the NBA, so when they say "World Champions", it makes sense.
Posted Image

#51 vong

vong

Sixth Man

• 3,169 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Goku

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:45 PM

My side of the argument with Stefi was that you have all these players from around the world coming to play in the NBA, so when they say "World Champions", it makes sense.

that makes sense to me aha

L7zqGhJ.png

alumni

#52 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Seriously though?

#53 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

You're arguing semantics. If you want to go even more literal, they aren't the world champs until they beat every single team that exists in the world. You can't take everything completely literally.

In the world of sports, when the you go against the best competition in the league that is widely considered the best, then you are considered "World Champions".

Untill you beat the Champions of a continent, you cannot be considered world champions.

Go back and find ONE post where I have said the NBA isn't the best league in the world?

All I'm saying is that untill the Lakers beat the Champions of other continents such a claim cannot be made.

#54 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,824 posts

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:46 PM

that 2004 Olympic team was hastly thrown together that featured players that just came into the league (bron, melo, Okafor, Wade etc) going against teams that practically always play together (most european teams)

tim duncan and allen iverson were the only proven players on that team at the time

Edited by pkflyers, June 18, 2009 - 05:46 PM.

13z8pc6.jpg

#55 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:47 PM

that makes sense to me aha

By this logic, what do you have to say to any decent player who leaves the NBA for a Euro team?

that 2004 Olympic team was hastly thrown together that featured players that just came into the league (bron, melo, Okafor, Wade etc) going against teams that practically always play together (most european teams)

tim duncan and allen iverson were the only proven players on that team at the time

2006 FIBA World Championships...

#56 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:48 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#57 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:49 PM

Untill you beat the Champions of a continent, you cannot be considered world champions.

To be the champs, you have to beat the champs.

So I'm curious...who are the world champions?

United States, proven by our victory over Spain in the finals just one year ago.

So, the United States would be the world champions, and the Lakers would be the champions of the United States (and Canada).

Therefore, the Lakers are the World Champions.

#58 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:50 PM

Question to any of you, have you seen at least 15 FULL European games this season?

If not, you shouldn't be posting in this thread because you will be ignorant on the subject.

To be the champs, you have to beat the champs.

So I'm curious...who are the world champions?

United States, proven by our victory over Spain in the finals just one year ago.

So, the United States would be the world champions, and the Lakers would be the champions of the United States (and Canada).

Therefore, the Lakers are the World Champions.

I can accept this logic.

However, the USA lost in the 2006 World Championship and the 2004 Olympics.

So for these years then, the NBA was not the best league in the world? Regardless of whether Kobe Bryant was playing or not.

#59 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:51 PM

Give me a break. Most of the best players from other continents already play in the NBA. If they don't, they probably weren't good enough to make an NBA team. And it isn't the undisputed world champions, so you can whine, complain, and dispute it all you want, but until some foreign team out there actually has the balls to challenge the Lakers, the best team in the best league will be considered the world champions whether you like it or not.

#60 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted June 18, 2009 - 05:52 PM

Give me a break. Most of the best players from other continents already play in the NBA. If they don't, they probably weren't good enough to make an NBA team. And it isn't the undisputed world champions, so you can whine, complain, and dispute it all you want, but until some foreign team out there actually has the balls to challenge the Lakers, the best team in the best league will be considered the world champions whether you like it or not.

I think you might want to do some research on what Isiah Thomas said about the Euro leagues...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users