• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 31, 2009 - 08:46 PM

It was right on, last year as it predicted Celtics in 6.

This year..

http://www.whatifspo...e=2009NBAFINALS

Kobe Bryant gets his fourth overall and his first "Shaqless" ring as the Lakers take out the Eastern Conference champion Orlando Magic en route to the franchise's 15th NBA title. We simulated the 2009 NBA Finals between LA and Orlando 10,000 times in order to determine the likelihood of either team winning it all. After losing to the Boston Celtics in six games last season (as we predicted), the Lakers return to the Finals and this time come out on top winning the series 61.7% of the time. The most common occurrence is a six game series, where Los Angeles wins it all in its return home after three games in Orlando.

Front-court depth and perimeter defense are the keys to the Lakers' victory. During the regular season, Los Angeles was third in the league in opponent three-point percentage (34.5%) and in offensive rebounding percentage (29.4%). With Andrew Bynum healthy and increased defensive intensity from Kobe Bryant, Trevor Ariza, Derek Fisher and others, the Lakers have been even tougher on opponents in the playoffs, allowing teams to hit just 31.3% of their threes and just 42.9% of their shots overall. Dwight Howard is clearly the best rebounder in the series, but the Lakers have great rebounders at every position but point guard, while the Magic tend to forsake offensive rebounding opportunities for open perimeter shots. Maximizing offensive touches with second chance points and limiting turnovers as well as utilizing the team's length to impact the Magic's outside shooting will earn the Lakers the victory.

As is evident below, we had to make some assumptions regarding playoff rosters. Despite recent rumors, we do not expect Orlando's Jameer Nelson to come back for the Finals and otherwise believe that the rosters, depth charts and playing time for both teams will be similar to the conference finals. That being said, Nelson would not change the outcome much. His presence in a platoon with Rafer Alston could improve the Magic's chances of winning the series from 38.3% to 41.1% where the most likely outcome is still a six game series won by LA.

Edited by MDI, May 31, 2009 - 08:47 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,469 posts

Posted May 31, 2009 - 08:48 PM

thursday is so damn far away..im dying without ball right now..imma have to go play some at the indoor gym tomm lol

bw1wOGf.png

#3 LakerFanInOmaha!

LakerFanInOmaha!

Rookie

• 1,160 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted May 31, 2009 - 08:49 PM

o.k. I'm down with that
2009 NBA Champions!!!

#4 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted May 31, 2009 - 09:27 PM

Great read, abit of a reference, but the actual game outcome will only be the testaments. Barring LA meltdown yet again, I'd say we definitely have this.

#5 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted May 31, 2009 - 09:32 PM

as long as we win i'm cool

i want to see what a forum is like after a championship

i wasn't a forum goer in the 3-peat years
Posted Image

#6 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,512 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted May 31, 2009 - 10:07 PM

same here...i was just starting college

Posted Image

#7 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,354 posts

Posted May 31, 2009 - 10:09 PM

I started being a forum goer the year we lost to Detroit. I want to see TLN go absolutely nuts!!!

#8 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted May 31, 2009 - 10:11 PM

yeah it would be an awesome atmosphere
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users