• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 01, 2009 - 12:48 PM

not sure if Shaq's fragile ego would take a backseat to the King. Shaq needed someone who can hit free throws in the clutch to close games out, not sure if Lebron is the guy.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#62 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,134 posts

Posted June 01, 2009 - 12:54 PM

lebron has the best spacing other than dwight howard in the NBA

the big men who would fit with lebron the best are pau gasol, chris bosh, amare stoudemire, kevin garnett, zydrunas illgauskas guys who can space the floor and allow lebron to hit the paint

lebron needs to be built around like a big man because his game thrives on drive and kick, slide and kick, pick and pop

anything like shaq would simply take the ball out of lebrons hands
Posted Image

#63 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,876 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted June 01, 2009 - 02:14 PM

Kobe's the best, not because he won and LBJ didn't. He's simply the most fundamentally sound player in basketball with the most desire to be the greatest. He is a rare combination of fundamentals, basketball IQ, talent AND passion/desire.

No matter how much they hype LBJ up, he won't ever surpass Kobe. Kobe will always be better than LBJ (at their best). That is opinion of the majority of B-Ball heads, if you are a student of the game, not stats or athletic highlights.

There has never been a player as fundamentally sound (at the guard position) who was as talented on both ends of the floor and had the killer instinct that Kobe has. Jordan had the killer instinct and overwhelming athletic ability but he was never as fundamentally sound as Kobe.

Like it or not, Kobe is in his own class...never to expand...at least, not in this lifetime.

Statistically speaking, LBJ will pass Kobe. The only differentiating factor between both players will be rings.
The major IF between both players is whether or not LBJ stays healthy so that he can continue to play the type of basketball that he plays. If LBJ suffers a major leg injury and he is not able to alter his scoring game, then I do not see him passing Kobe in that area. He will still have his passing talents that he can use to be an asset to a team.

Edited by steven v, June 01, 2009 - 02:20 PM.

The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#64 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted June 01, 2009 - 02:21 PM

^Good post. Welcome to the site steven.
Basketball Reasons...

#65 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,876 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted June 01, 2009 - 02:24 PM

the big men who would fit with lebron the best are pau gasol, chris bosh, amare stoudemire, kevin garnett, zydrunas illgauskas guys who can space the floor and allow lebron to hit the paint

lebron needs to be built around like a big man because his game thrives on drive and kick, slide and kick, pick and pop

I agree with the last point. I hear from Cavs fans (http://realcavsfans.com/forums.php) that they feel the need for a major low post scorer. I don't think they realize how this would affect LBJs production. The guy relies on wide open drive to the basket for his overall production numbers. Clogging teammates in the middle wouldn't help that.
The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#66 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 01, 2009 - 03:06 PM

Statistically speaking, LBJ will pass Kobe. The only differentiating factor between both players will be rings.
The major IF between both players is whether or not LBJ stays healthy so that he can continue to play the type of basketball that he plays. If LBJ suffers a major leg injury and he is not able to alter his scoring game, then I do not see him passing Kobe in that area. He will still have his passing talents that he can use to be an asset to a team.

He will never, EVER statistically be the best player ever...I just don't see it happening. But we weren't talking about will be. Or stats.

Either way, Kobe is better RIGHT NOW.

As for the real discussion, it was about "who is the best (basketball) player in the league", which Eric Snow claimed was Kobe.

As for best basketball player, it's Kobe. Got a good argument for LBJ that doesn't include preference or predictions?

Go for it.

Does not compute. Spacing requires more than one player. Never heard of a player comparison with the criteria of "spacing".

#67 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted June 01, 2009 - 03:25 PM

He will never, EVER statistically be the best player ever...I just don't see it happening. But we weren't talking about will be. Or stats.

Either way, Kobe is better RIGHT NOW.

As for best basketball player, it's Kobe. Got a good argument for LBJ that doesn't include preference or predictions?

IN stats at this time of his career Lebron is further along at this age than kobe. Will he keep it up and play as long i don't know. Will A-rod beat Bonds on the HR list?

If we are talking about right now the stats are clearly in Lebron favor. Is that the deciding factor? Not necessarily. The last two years he has demonstrated especially the last year of both his importance and a player that is very difficult player to stop. Even without a number 2 on this team and with everyone gunning for him. Whatever Eric Snow said there are still many who recognize Lebron on the other side including the overwhelming majority who voted for MVP.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

#68 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts

Posted June 01, 2009 - 03:31 PM

IN stats at this time of his career Lebron is further along at this age than kobe. Will he keep it up and play as long i don't know. Will A-rod beat Bonds on the HR list?

If we are talking about right now the stats are clearly in Lebron favor. Is that the deciding factor? Not necessarily. The last two years he has demonstrated especially the last year of both his importance and a player that is very difficult player to stop. Even without a number 2 on this team and with everyone gunning for him. Whatever Eric Snow said there are still many who recognize Lebron on the other side including the overwhelming majority who voted for MVP.

Want to compare Kobe and LBJ statistically? You need to go back to "Kobe-GreenLight" era, right after he got his "own team". That's what Kobe can do if he's the undeniable focus of the offense...back when Kobe didn't have a number 2 on his team.

Now? Pau, Fisher, Bynum, LO...he's sharing the statistical load..

It's fine if you prefer LBJ...perfectly fine. Now if you have an argument based on basketball skills, please present it.

#69 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 01, 2009 - 03:31 PM

Does not compute. Spacing requires more than one player. Never heard of a player comparison with the criteria of "spacing".

Spacing on the floor is key for Lebron's game. he can't drive to paint if its packed unless he's gonna run someone over and how many hits can his body sustain?

he needs an "in-between" game.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#70 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts

Posted June 02, 2009 - 12:29 AM

Spacing is a product of good offensive execution. That's not an individual talent. That's not something an individual player can orchestrate without the help of his teammates. Hardly qualifies for criteria in a discussion of best INDIVIDUAL player.

#71 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted June 02, 2009 - 09:34 AM

Want to compare Kobe and LBJ statistically? You need to go back to "Kobe-GreenLight" era, right after he got his "own team". That's what Kobe can do if he's the undeniable focus of the offense...back when Kobe didn't have a number 2 on his team.

Now? Pau, Fisher, Bynum, LO...he's sharing the statistical load..

It's fine if you prefer LBJ...perfectly fine. Now if you have an argument based on basketball skills, please present it.

You mentioned stats... "He will never, EVER statistically be the best player ever" so I just said he is further along than kobe at this age. Like i said I don't know if he will have better stats because there are too many unknowns and too much time before both their careers are over.

I have always said Kobe has better skills than Lebron see post #52. Skills set doesn't always mean the better player. Kobe has better skills than Michael Jordan but I don't think he is better than Jordan.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

PHIL JACKSON

#72 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 02, 2009 - 10:15 AM

Don't forget Kobe got those rings at 21-23. Remember in Indy when Kobe took over after Shaq fouled out and won us the game? Yeah, at that age, LeBron was still afraid to take big shots and was always passing off to other teammates. Hell he only started to take the big shots the past couple years. Don't forget that. No question Shaq was a beast, but Kobe was our closer and ignoring that is dumb. LeBron has never been anywhere close to the closer Kobe is and was.

#73 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted June 02, 2009 - 12:59 PM

Don't forget Kobe got those rings at 21-23. Remember in Indy when Kobe took over after Shaq fouled out and won us the game? Yeah, at that age, LeBron was still afraid to take big shots and was always passing off to other teammates. Hell he only started to take the big shots the past couple years. Don't forget that. No question Shaq was a beast, but Kobe was our closer and ignoring that is dumb. LeBron has never been anywhere close to the closer Kobe is and was.

Yes I do remember. Kobe is the guy I want the ball with in the last 5 minutes. So I am not ignoring that truth and if you ignored the whole thread and didn't look at my posts then that is dumb.

PHIL JACKSON

#74 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 02, 2009 - 02:59 PM

Just b/c I posted after you doesn't mean I was directing my post (solely) at you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users