• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#81 ogarte24

ogarte24

Rookie

• 113 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 04, 2008 - 09:24 AM

Where is Paul during the playoffs the past two seasons prior to his team's championship breakthrough?

He's at his home right? That's right before Allen and Garnett came in.

He reclined comfortably in his couch while Kobe appeared on those occasions.

Meanwhile, Kobe even before the arrival of Gasol fueled his team as it intermittently flirted with the best record in the West. Meaning to say, the Lakers were awfully good given its preceding structure sans Pau, a significant advancement in which you cannot neglect Bryant's commendable contribution to.

#82 gcclaker

gcclaker

I Bleed Purple And Gold!

• 750 posts
  • Fan Since:The Glory Days of Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Michael Cooper DPOY 1987

Posted August 04, 2008 - 09:29 AM

Pierce's comments will not only be heeded by Bryant but other players in The League as well. I'm sure Cleveland has a player who will have something to say about it on the floor.
Five guys on the court working together can achieve more than five talented individuals who come and go as individuals.
-Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

#83 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 04, 2008 - 09:38 AM

I hope we play the Celtics on XMas day b/c I guarantee the media will bring up these comments and Kobe will lay the smacketh down.

#84 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted August 07, 2008 - 11:10 AM

I read this off SI:

Pierce over Kobe?

You're not going to find too many bigger fans of Paul Pierce's game, but even I was a bit taken aback by his recent comments that he is the best player in the word, a notch above Kobe.

While Pierce is a fantastic offensive player -- he has LeBron James' physicality and Bryant's shooting touch -- he is nowhere near the defensive player Kobe is. Pierce has proved he can play defense in spurts (witness his stellar job against Bryant in the Finals), but he has not shown he can do it consistently over the course of an 82-game season.

Kobe is a lockdown defender. In 12 seasons, he has been named to the NBA's All-Defensive team eight times (including six first-team selections). Pierce has never been chosen in his 10 seasons. That fact alone gives Bryant a decisive edge in my book.

Source: http://sportsillustr...sa.notes/1.html

Further justifies the ***head's dumbassness.

#85 Mega Man

Mega Man

Mega Buster

• 415 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 09, 2008 - 01:57 AM

its not just defense that separates pierce from kobe....

and the physical power of lebron and the shooting touch of kobe?? PLEASE

Posted Image

#86 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted August 09, 2008 - 02:49 PM

Pierce is an excellent player and a borderline HOFer, while Kobe is the second greatest SG ever and a sure fire top 15 player ever.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#87 KGB

KGB

To be the greatest

• 202 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted August 10, 2008 - 10:16 PM

WTF did pee pee do to get in the hall?

#88 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted August 10, 2008 - 10:20 PM

That last championship probably did.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#89 KGB

KGB

To be the greatest

• 202 posts

Posted August 10, 2008 - 11:00 PM

That last championship probably did.

Pshh like he would have had that with out a COPMLETELY different (and well put together) team than last year. He shouldn't have even got MVP.

#90 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts

Posted August 10, 2008 - 11:11 PM

Pshh like he would have had that with out a COPMLETELY different (and well put together) team than last year. He shouldn't have even got MVP.

Yeh he wouldn't have gotten this far if it weren't for this team. Still, he won the championship and got Finals MVP so that's probably why he'll make it into the Hall of Fame. Also, his All-Star selections and his few All-NBA Honors helps his chances too.

Edited by 泉 こなた, August 10, 2008 - 11:11 PM.

Posted Image
Team Farmar

#91 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted August 10, 2008 - 11:16 PM

Win a champioinship and be finales MVP, be a perennial All-star, be perennial top 5 SG in the league for the last 8 years. The championship sealed it. Considering they'll probably get back to the finales, even if they don't win, that will seal the deal.

Don't need your hate for the Celts to cloud your judgment.

#92 LOdieschick07

LOdieschick07

Queen Laker Girl

• 4,102 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Lamar Odom

Posted August 10, 2008 - 11:23 PM

wowwww if i ever see this crap face pierce i swear i will do my VERYYY best to make sure hes dead :rock: wowww.. i dont think ive ever hated some one so much in my life!!!
Posted Image

#93 Equilibrium

Equilibrium

Rookie

• 1,215 posts

Posted August 10, 2008 - 11:51 PM

Paul Pierce is not a HOFer if his career ended today.

#94 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted August 11, 2008 - 12:31 AM

That's your opinion, but according to statistical formulas and most voters, he is.

#95 KGB

KGB

To be the greatest

• 202 posts

Posted August 11, 2008 - 01:07 AM

Win a champioinship and be finales MVP, be a perennial All-star, be perennial top 5 SG in the league for the last 8 years. The championship sealed it. Considering they'll probably get back to the finales, even if they don't win, that will seal the deal.

Don't need your hate for the Celts to cloud your judgment.

Trust me it's not. I am judging this on talent and ability. There are many players to me who are still playing (or who haven't been inducted yet) who deserve it over that drama queen. He's just been a good player his whole career getting minutes on a crap team. This was pretty much his only relevant season AT ALL. That's just not enough to me. How can this championship even make any difference when 1. He can only do it with a STACKED team and 2. IMO he wasn't even the finals MVP or EVEN THE BEST PLAYER ON HIS TEAM! (let alone the WORLD LMFAOOOO!!!). T mac, AI, Rasheed Wallace, Steve nash and lots of other players deserve it over him.

#96 KGB

KGB

To be the greatest

• 202 posts

Posted August 11, 2008 - 01:08 AM

wowwww if i ever see this crap face pierce i swear i will do my VERYYY best to make sure hes dead :machine: wowww.. i dont think ive ever hated some one so much in my life!!!

THATTA GURL!!! :machine: :machine:

#97 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts

Posted August 11, 2008 - 01:12 AM

Trust me it's not. I am judging this on talent and ability. There are many players to me who are still playing (or who haven't been inducted yet) who deserve it over that drama queen. He's just been a good player his whole career getting minutes on a crap team. This was pretty much his only relevant season AT ALL. That's just not enough to me. How can this championship even make any difference when 1. He can only do it with a STACKED team and 2. IMO he wasn't even the finals MVP or EVEN THE BEST PLAYER ON HIS TEAM! (let alone the WORLD LMFAOOOO!!!). T mac, AI, Rasheed Wallace, Steve nash and lots of other players deserve it over him.

Actually, I thought all those guys would make the Hall of Fame too. :machine:

Posted Image
Team Farmar

#98 ogarte24

ogarte24

Rookie

• 113 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 11, 2008 - 03:20 AM

What if we trade Pierce's and Kobe's places and Paul gets to a team with Kwame Brown as the center plus a host of undeveloped misfits, can he help his team reach the playoffs?

#99 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 11, 2008 - 09:51 AM

What if we trade Pierce's and Kobe's places and Paul gets to a team with Kwame Brown as the center plus a host of undeveloped misfits, can he help his team reach the playoffs?

How about putting Paul Pierce on a team with Al Jefferson, Wally Szcerbiak, Delonte West and Kendrick Perkins and lets see how good he does?

oh wait that happened, they had a 24-58 record along with a 18 game losing streak.

#100 gcclaker

gcclaker

I Bleed Purple And Gold!

• 750 posts
  • Fan Since:The Glory Days of Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Michael Cooper DPOY 1987

Posted August 12, 2008 - 09:01 AM

From Charley Rosen's article....answering a question about Pierce's claim:

How do you feel about Paul Pierce saying that he's the best player in the world? His winning the championship WITH Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen doesn't make him this. I don't think he has any right to say something that stupid. What do you think? — ilovepaulpiece, Boston

I agree that, while he's truly an outstanding player, PP is nowhere near being the best in the league. Perhaps what has pushed him into believing this is the success the Celtics had in stifling Kobe during the championship series. However, had the Lakers' defense totally focused on stopping Pierce the way Boston zeroed in on Bryant, PP would never have won the MVP award. With Lamar Odom so shaky and Pau Gasol so soft, the Lakers really had no way of making the Celtics pay for loading up their defense on Kobe — while the Celtics had primo alternative options in KG and Allen.

I'd put Pierce's self-promoting blather in the same category as Stephon Marbury's calling himself the NBA's best point guard. Starbury had no excuse, but winning a ring and the Finals MVP trophy have obviously made Pierce delusional.

Key word...delusional! Rosen has always been brutally honest and in this instance I totally love it!
Five guys on the court working together can achieve more than five talented individuals who come and go as individuals.
-Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users