We just need to accept some things...

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted May 25, 2009 - 11:37 PM

I think it will be easier for us, and the Lakers if we just accepted a few things.

1). We are just going to have to accept that some players are going to let us down. Fisher just isn't good anymore. He's had a decent career, but now he is old and worn out. You can't blame a guy for being old, if anything blame the Lakers for not recognizing this problem and aquiring a PG. Vujacic sucks, we all know this by now, Odom is inconsistent but we've known this for a while. The Lakers just have to work around their problems and try and hide them like all teams do...even if that means "Kobe ball".

2). We need to stop trying to blow teams out. We need to accept we aren't the 72 win Bulls. Scrap through games. I don't believe in the term "winning ugly". Winning in itself is beautiful, so whether you win ugly or not doesn't matter. We just need to scrap through games, grinding out each play for what it's worth. Flashy basketball doesn't win American Championships.

3). This one is to the fans...no the refs aren't plotting against us. I've actually seen Laker fans say this and it's incredibly stupid. If anything the refs would be MORE biased towards us we are a MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger market.

Basically, all I'm saying is that we need to try and hide any weaknesses we have, play simple, hard fought basketball, and stop complaining about the [expletive]ing refs.

I haven't watched many games this playoffs, as I'm taking exams and the time difference would kill me...but from what I've seen we just need to accept the above.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#2 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted May 25, 2009 - 11:40 PM

I've learned to accept that the Nuggets are simply outplaying us, and we could easily be down 3-1 or even
swept if it wasn't for a couple plays.

#3 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted May 25, 2009 - 11:43 PM

I've learned to accept that the Nuggets are simply outplaying us, and we could easily be down 3-1 or even
swept if it wasn't for a couple plays.

Maybe this is something that should be added to the list, although it part goes in with my "win ugly" point.

The Nuggets are playing better now, we just need to try and "win ugly" if anything. Although, I don't think we are even able to win ugly as winning ugly is usually based off physical defense and simple offense.

Lakers physical? :hysterical:

#4 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted May 25, 2009 - 11:46 PM

You could've turned this into an article DB.
Basketball Reasons...

#5 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted May 25, 2009 - 11:48 PM

You could've turned this into an article DB.

I was thinking of it, but didn't know if I had enough to post to actually turn it into an article.

Good to have you back btw ;)

#6 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted May 25, 2009 - 11:54 PM

I was thinking of it, but didn't know if I had enough to post to actually turn it into an article.

Good to have you back btw ;)

Yeah, the articles forum's been looking pretty dead for awhile so I just decided to help out a lil bit.

And agreed with everything you said. I think a lot of fans on this site use the refs as a scapegoat to most of the Lakers' real problems. If you tell them the obvious issues, such as effort, they get offended.

As bad as the refs can be sometimes, they're never bad enough to cause us to lose. If you fail as a team to rebound, play defense, and support your best player with scoring you don't have anyone to blame but yourselves for a loss.

People complain about officiating more than they do the team's effort, which even after a near monumental loss to a Yao Ming and Tracy McGradyless Rocket team in seven games, still has key stretches where they don't give it their all or play smart. That's the reason this series is tied.
Basketball Reasons...

#7 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted May 25, 2009 - 11:57 PM

3). This one is to the fans...no the refs aren't plotting against us. I've actually seen Laker fans say this and it's incredibly stupid. If anything the refs would be MORE biased towards us we are a MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger market.

I don't agree that the NBA is against us COMPLETELY either or anything, HOWEVER, if YOU, DB are TRULY watching all of the games, and you can honestly tell me the officiating job on all games on all teams has been good or great, you gotta GTFOutta here. nba's got a HUGE problem with its officiating period. that being said, also, it wouldn't be ENTIRELY impossible, for the league to want to see MORE games from us kinda like you somewhat hinted, for money purposes/business. everyone knows we draw the most attention, ratings, and money. extending the series works wonders for the league.. that being said, we are more to blame than anyone, i realize that and can admit that.

Edited by Chicano, May 25, 2009 - 11:58 PM.

#8 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted May 25, 2009 - 11:58 PM

Yeah, the articles forum's been looking pretty dead for awhile so I just decided to help out a lil bit.

And agreed with everything you said. I think a lot of fans on this site use the refs as a scapegoat to most of the Lakers' real problems. If you tell them the obvious issues, such as effort, they get offended.

As bad as the refs can be sometimes, they're never bad enough to cause us to lose. If you fail as a team to rebound, play defense, and support your best player with scoring you don't have anyone to blame but yourselves for a loss.

People complain about officiating more than they do the team's effort, which even after a near monumental loss to a Yao Ming and Tracy McGradyless Rocket team in seven games, still has key stretches where they don't give it their all or play smart. That's the reason this series is tied.

Yeah I'm coming up with a few ideas to promote the section abit, like it was when it first started.

If a team is known to be a physical team, the refs let more stuff pass from them because it is how they are expected to play. If a team is known to be a soft team, then the second they play physical the refs know it is out of their character and think it's an act of aggression. Even if the refs are being bad, the Lakers are at their own fault.

I see people here complain about the amount of FT's we get...It's quite simple, play physical offense, drive to the hoop and you'll get more fouls than if you pass it around like softies.

#9 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted May 26, 2009 - 12:00 AM

I see people here complain about the amount of FT's we get...It's quite simple, play physical offense, drive to the hoop and you'll get more fouls than if you pass it around like softies.

To some degree yes, but it's not as simple as it means. It's STILL not a guarantee they'll get the whistle the same way the opposition will everytime, but again, that just goes back again to the league's horrible inconsistency. It's just tough to watch, but anyway, I just think regardless, the players, our player specifically, IF they're not getting the calls attacking the basket still on any given night, they should KEEP at it and NOT get discouraged and NOT lose focus or be discouraged mentally EITHER.

By the way DB, just curious, what's your take on Phil's post-game press conference? Do you completely disagree with everything he said or does he make some valid points? Also just wanna' make sure, you saw the WHOLE game right? Like all 48 minutes, just wanting to clarify, tis all.

Edited by Chicano, May 26, 2009 - 12:02 AM.

#10 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 26, 2009 - 12:07 AM

How about the fact that we never did fix anything from last season's troubles? I was screaming this all season long in every loss we had, but was told that it was "just one loss, no big deal" and that I wasn't a true fan because of my lack of support, or something.

#11 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted May 26, 2009 - 12:13 AM

Chicano, are you trying to say the refs are just bad, or they are biased against the Lakers?

If you are saying they are just bad, then that's fine, I completely 100% agree with you.

But them being biased against the Lakers makes no sense. Everyone knows the Lakers, in the WHOLE WORLD! Basketball is the 2nd biggest sport in the world after all (soccer being first). To extend the series? I think they'd at least allow us to have a two game lead (3-1) before they did that.

I watched the game yes, although I got fed up at the end, who really watches every second of the 48 minutes though? :D

How about the fact that we never did fix anything from last season's troubles? I was screaming this all season long in every loss we had, but was told that it was "just one loss, no big deal" and that I wasn't a true fan because of my lack of support, or something.

100% agree.

The problems the Lakers had were quite obvious after the first half of the season.

#12 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted May 26, 2009 - 12:18 AM

If you are saying they are just bad, then that's fine, I completely 100% agree with you.

This. Except not bad, you're being too kind DB, WAY too kind, HORRIBLE.

#13 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted May 26, 2009 - 12:28 AM

This. Except not bad, you're being too kind DB, WAY too kind, HORRIBLE.

But they are bad for both teams, which if anything makes it a fair game :D.

#14 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted May 26, 2009 - 12:35 AM

^ Oh goodness, you just don't understand, tis why soccer is your main sport like you say I guess. If I could watch a handful of games with you and review them together, I think you'd understand what I mean much better.. but oh.. :mellow: no point

Edited by Chicano, May 26, 2009 - 12:35 AM.

#15 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted May 26, 2009 - 12:53 AM

^ Oh goodness, you just don't understand, tis why soccer is your main sport like you say I guess. If I could watch a handful of games with you and review them together, I think you'd understand what I mean much better.. but oh.. :mellow: no point

Your point is not clear, no need to result to minor shots at my basketball knowledge.

#16 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted May 26, 2009 - 01:21 AM

Good points. Phil has to recognize all this first and foremost though.

Also, yes, the refs have just been HORRIBLE overall, in both series right now.

I watched the game yes, although I got fed up at the end, who really watches every second of the 48 minutes though? :D

Hi

#17 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,666 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted May 26, 2009 - 01:22 AM

At this stage we don't have a bench.
Posted Image

#18 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted May 26, 2009 - 01:42 AM

I think our bench outscored theirs twice of the 4 games.

#19 hi_ma

hi_ma

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted May 26, 2009 - 08:03 AM

LO has been horrible. In a series where he should be great.
Kobe's official reign of terror is about to get its jump off on.

#20 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,083 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 26, 2009 - 08:04 AM

We've never had a bench

Pau Gasol is GONE

1 user(s) are reading this topic