23 replies to this topic

#1 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,315 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted May 21, 2009 - 04:02 AM

We can say "Lakers in six or less" was a typographical error, and our NBA writer actually said:

"So what if the local Legends in Their Own Mind played a great game, on their home floor, against what remained of the Rockets?

"These Nuggets are the real deal. Their top end can't match that of the Lakers, but the Lakers haven't been at their top end, with both Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol playing well, since ... since ...

"Actually, the Lakers have never been at their top end.

"The closest they ever came was Andrew's breakout stretch in January, in which he averaged 26 points, 14 rebounds and 3.2 blocks, and Pau averaged 15-6-1.

"It lasted five games before Andrew got hurt. It hasn't been approached since, and now is beginning to look like the imagined end of an endless quest, like the Holy Grail.

"In the here and now, I expect this Lakers-Nuggets series to go seven games, if not longer, and I have no idea who'll win.

"The Times regrets the error."

Now that we have a more rounded perspective, meaning no matter what happens, I can say I predicted it, let's reassess this series.

Actually, there's all the difference in the world between projecting what will happen, and seeing what happens when the teams meet.

Not that what will happen in Game 1 will recur ... the Lakers hope ... except for the last 6:48 when they outscored the Nuggets, 23-14, to win, 105-103.

As victories go, this was more like a cannonball aimed right between their eyes, which they managed to duck.

This was particularly good timing with the Lakers already under fire for being "unprofessional," with people saying they "virtually capitulated" in Game 4 in Houston.

And that was just from the Lakers, themselves.

The first quote was from Phil Jackson, the second from Kobe Bryant.

If they hadn't stolen Game 1, they would now be ground zero in a nationwide maelstrom, questioning their hearts, courage, moral character, etc.

All this still remains possible. If they don't want to burn in Media Hell, they'll need more than Kobe Bryant going for 40 points and guarding every Nuggets threat this side of David Thompson and Dan Issel.

Remember the Lakers' inside game?

If you see it, please call the Lakers, c/o Staples Center, Los Angeles, Calif.

As anticipated, they were taller than the Nuggets but never actually experienced a "height advantage."

The 7-foot Bynum hit two quick jumpers over 6-9 Kenyon Martin, who proceeded to make 15 points worth of mid-range floaters, putting Andrew in foul trouble and limiting him to 16 minutes.

Jackson now says Bynum has to be "a big guy that makes them feel small," as opposed to being Wile E. Coyote, watching the Roadrunner zip around him.

Of course, the Lakers are a work in progress -- and behind schedule.

http://www.dailycame...kers-look-lost/

#2 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,488 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted May 21, 2009 - 04:26 AM

another Laker hater reporter. Its like they want KB/LA to fail. I dont understand why.
After tonight it'll be 2-0 and then they'll have to find some other b.s. to write about.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#3 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,315 posts

Posted May 21, 2009 - 04:47 AM

After tonight it'll be 2-0 and then they'll have to find some other b.s. to write about.

haha, so true. 

#4 DameC24

DameC24

16!

• 535 posts
  • Name:Dame
  • Fan Since:When I seen my first Laker game on CBS
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted May 21, 2009 - 07:00 AM

What is it with all this hate?

#5 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,112 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 21, 2009 - 07:11 AM

We didn't exactly play well and Kobe had to do everything himself.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#6 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,315 posts

Posted May 21, 2009 - 07:12 AM

We didn't exactly play well and Kobe had to do everything himself.

ya, our D sucked balls.

#7 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted May 21, 2009 - 07:14 AM

They expect us to play a threatening style, mentality, and par of basketball everyone saw at the beginning of the season, not the lost and unfamiliar way everyone says we're playing now. We deserved that win on Tuesday but alot can be said for how that game was won and even more can be fed into what we have to do in order to secure this series and beat this real good Denver team out. Kobe will not (and should not) carry this team on his shoulders for every single game. In game 1 we did play like we were lost, tired and frustrated.

#8 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,072 posts

Posted May 21, 2009 - 07:30 AM

Eh and I've read how many Lakers-hating articles already since the weekends?

#9 hi_ma

hi_ma

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted May 21, 2009 - 07:58 AM

ya, our D sucked balls.

Not when it mattered it didnt
Kobe's official reign of terror is about to get its jump off on.

#10 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted May 21, 2009 - 08:08 AM

you're right, we showed effort down the stretch. it's hard to play d for 48 minutes. Teams are gonna make their adjustments and have their runs. We need to do a better job of recognizing that and keeping our composure (especially for the younger guys on this team) Denver couldn't do that and it resulted in a L for them.

Eh and I've read how many Lakers-hating articles already since the weekends?

No ish right? Read? Listen to AM 570, Hartman should give you no problems with letting you listen to Laker Hate

#11 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,422 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 21, 2009 - 08:11 AM

The Lakers struggle with the Rockets and after some bad losses, the haters are in full effect.

The Lakers beat the Nuggets in game 1, the haters are in full effect.

The only positive I see out of this is that the players might start feeling that they are getting no respect from anyone and this will only up their play.

#12 hi_ma

hi_ma

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted May 21, 2009 - 08:12 AM

you're right, we showed effort down the stretch. it's hard to play d for 48 minutes. Teams are gonna make their adjustments and have their runs. We need to do a better job of recognizing that and keeping our composure (especially for the younger guys on this team) Denver couldn't do that and it resulted in a L for them.

No ish right? Read? Listen to AM 570, Hartman should give you no problems with letting you listen to Laker Hate

Its hard to play that kind of d for 48. No team ever, pists, bulls etc played like that for 48. Its too frantic, too tense. We've done it for the most part all year. If we eliminate 1st qt ( i know we cant) we would have mauled them.

Tonight IMO its going to be a heavy dose of pau early and kobe late. Thats how we have dominated since pau has arrived

#13 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,315 posts

Posted May 21, 2009 - 08:14 AM

yes, but our D let Nugs grab a 13 point in the 1st. That god we made some adjustments in the 4th quarter. 

#14 hi_ma

hi_ma

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted May 21, 2009 - 08:20 AM

yes, but our D let Nugs grab a 13 point in the 1st. That god we made some adjustments in the 4th quarter. 

True, and I agree about 1st qt, but thats what amazed me about rox series. we saw our team most of the year build early holes only to come back and dominate so i wasnt really surprised.

We also saw it last night where rest really shows its face from the jump. I was just really happy that even though Pau was junk offensively he still dominated boards. Ariza got smoked yet he still kept his composure. Fish has been garbage yet he and Ariza hit huge shots. kobe had a coming out game. I thought b4 playoffs started that Kobe was going to solidify himself as (insert whatever). We saw it in patches thus far but game1 compared to every other star so far was far and away a legendary performance. I dont think it will be that close in game2 but i think from here on out he is going to flex and dominate

#15 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,315 posts

Posted May 21, 2009 - 08:30 AM

Ariza got smoked yet he still kept his composure. Fish has been garbage yet he and Ariza hit huge shots.

Ariza has been consistant through out the playoffs. He just fell asleep on defense in the 1st half.

But I think it's safe to say that Fish's shot is coming back. Last night he went 0 of 7 before hitting 5 out of 6 (total 5-13), incuding 2 big threes. He's finding his stroke.

Just got to wait and see what happens today in game 2.

Edited by #24, May 21, 2009 - 08:31 AM.

#16 AlTheLakerFanUShouldMeet

AlTheLakerFanUShouldMeet

Rookie

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Fan Since:Early 80's
  • Fav. Laker:Big Game James/Kobe/Lamar

Posted May 21, 2009 - 08:35 AM

As long as we good solid play from our inside guys we will be A-ok...And what I mean by solid inside play is cleaning up the Defensive boards, contesting without fouling(but these refs suck sooo much @ss). We go out and trap aggressively and funnel there ball handlers into position where they cannotmake plays until the shot clock is around 7-8sec left and put there Bigs in position to make plays for others or create shots...Kenyon Martin is not going to have 15pts again and Birdman wont have 8pts as long as the Lakers do execute in disrupting what the Nuggets want to do.

#17 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 1,455 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted May 21, 2009 - 09:39 AM

I just think everyone has seen the Lakers play at such a high level...and they haven't done that for awhile. They've seen the Nuggets and Cavs take a step up from even their highest level, and the Lakers are playing like these are just preseason games waiting for the regular season (Finals) to start.
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#18 kray28

kray28

Rookie

• 1,161 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted May 21, 2009 - 10:09 AM

After the utterly hyperbolic overreaction of the Houston series, I think the Lakers can deal just fine with "Media Hell".

It's not a point of fear or some motivating factor for them to please those who refuse to be pleased.
Posted Image

#19 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,320 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted May 21, 2009 - 10:15 AM

Don't think that the media hate is going to end any time soon...

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Message From Pac

#20 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,213 posts

Posted May 21, 2009 - 10:18 AM

the media hate wont stop until we win a championship plain and simple
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users