Photo

Ricky Rubio Doesn't Want To Go To Memphis or Oklahoma City?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,598 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted May 20, 2009 - 10:56 PM

Posted Image

While Oklahoma City would obviously be extremely interested in the prospect of acquiring the top pick and drafting local product Blake Griffin, there is one team standing in their way – the Memphis Grizzlies, who own the #2 pick. From what people around the league are saying, Rubio’s camp may already be sending out feelers indicating that he’s not interested in the least bit in playing in Memphis.

“Rubio doesn’t want to go to Memphis, and he especially does not want to pay money out of his own pocket with that huge buyout for the honor of doing so. Fegan [Rubio’s agent] wants him in L.A., and if he can’t have him there, he wants him in Sacramento. Definitely not Oklahoma City. “

Unlike Griffin or Hasheem Thabeet, who don’t really have any choice where they will play next season if a team decides to play hardball, Rubio has a reasonably attractive alternative option at his disposal—returning to Spain.

“He’ll pull out if he doesn’t like what he’s hearing,” the NBA source tells us. “Or he can stay in and force the Grizzlies to call his bluff—would they really take him knowing that he may never come over? That’s one way to get him to fall to three.”

Fegan is already highly experienced in these matters, having unsuccessfully attempted to navigate fellow client Yi Jianlian towards the team of his choice in the 2007 draft, only to see Milwaukee foil his plans and pick him anyway. This time, though, he has a lot more leverage, as Rubio would likely have no problem staying in Badalona for another year or two or more if push came to shove. His buyout after all, is yet to be resolved, which in this case may actually be an advantage.

The Grizzlies are clearly aware of the politics surrounding their pick, but do not appear to be in any rush to make any decisions. “We’ll talk about all those things when they come up,” their General Manager Chris Wallace told us. “Right now we’re still in evaluation mode. We haven’t had any conversations with him [Rubio] or anyone else in his camp.”

Wallace shared that he will be headed out to Spain this weekend to watch Rubio compete in game three of the ACB playoffs, where Joventut will try to advance to the semifinals with a road win over Real Madrid. “I sent someone out there last week to watch him in the playoffs just in case we were able to move up,” Wallace told us. “He’s hardly a sleeper and he hasn’t been very difficult to track. We feel very comfortable with what we know about him right now.”

When asked whether Mike Conley’s status as Memphis’ tentative starter will deter the Grizzlies from selecting another point guard, Wallace indicated that that won’t be a factor. “We’re not in a position to be drafting for need. We’re going to go after the biggest talent available, whether that’s a big man or a point guard or whatever.”

What might make the most sense on paper would be for the Clippers and Grizzlies to work out a trade in which Memphis could take Griffin and Los Angeles would get Rubio. For that to happen, Memphis would have to part with one of their core assets, likely Rudy Gay. Obviously we’ll have to stay tuned, because as John Hollinger correctly indicated in his latest column last night’s lottery left more questions than answers for the teams drafting in the top 5.

http://www.draftexpr...dup-May-20-3224

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, May 20, 2009 - 10:58 PM.

#2 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 10:57 PM

I don't blame him for not wanting to play for those teams.

#3 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted May 20, 2009 - 10:57 PM

Well who would? Neither one isn't exactly tourist attracting.
Basketball Reasons...

#4 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted May 20, 2009 - 11:09 PM

He wants to be in Cali where there's a ton of Spanish speakers. It'll be easier for him.

#5 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 20, 2009 - 11:09 PM

Stay in Europe for 2 more years. He's not NBA ready IMO.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#6 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted May 20, 2009 - 11:10 PM

:lol:

#7 Kenrae

Kenrae

Metal Mutant

• 954 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 11:19 PM

He is currently better than more than half of NBA PGs, specially on defense. He's more than ready.
The only problem with those teams is playing time, they already have young PGs. But don't worry, he'll be in the NBA next season.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

#8 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted May 20, 2009 - 11:24 PM

Don't listen to him Kenrae, he's been a hater of his since forever, since even before the olympics. He'll never like him period.

#9 paperstreet.

paperstreet.

:D

• 303 posts
  • Name:patrick
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 20, 2009 - 11:28 PM

OKC cant be that bad. I mean you have KD there

Posted Image

#10 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,683 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted May 20, 2009 - 11:32 PM

Well Memphis has Marc Gasol, so that would help him a lot to adapt. Hey but who knows, draft night is crazy, and he might end up somewhere else.
Posted Image

#11 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 11:35 PM

OKC cant be that bad. I mean you have KD there

It's about the market not the team

#12 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 21, 2009 - 12:01 AM

Man the [expletive] up and play for the team that drafts you. Otherwise, bomb all of your pre-draft workouts, or just be a no-show for the Memphis and OKC ones, so you can go to Suckramento and I can root against you.

#13 paperstreet.

paperstreet.

:D

• 303 posts
  • Name:patrick

Posted May 21, 2009 - 12:01 AM

It's about the market not the team

oops i didnt read the article

XD

Posted Image

#14 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

TLN's Official Clipper Fan

• 785 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson!

Posted May 21, 2009 - 12:24 AM

If he wants to be in LA, read this Memphis management. We'll throw you Z-bo and some free water bottles and bubble wrap for your #2 pick. That way you get something out of it instead of drafting someone who doesn't want you, and Clippers get Griffin AND Rubio. Sweet!!

Edited by TheCalmInsanity, May 21, 2009 - 12:25 AM.

I'm a DIE HARD Clippers fan, and proud. I respect the Lakers and watch them every chance I get.

Respect me and I'll respect you. Don't respect me... we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

#15 Smoove

Smoove

Filipindian

• 5,269 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 21, 2009 - 12:35 AM

I don't get why athletes do this...they should just play for the damn team that drafts them. Millions of people would love to be in that position...man i'd play for the Grizzlies or Thunder if I had that kind of talent. Who cares...you get to play in the NBA against the best...this reminds me of Eli Manning and the Chargers lol and I hate the Giants so....yeh haha

Edited by Smoove, May 21, 2009 - 12:35 AM.

Posted Image

"To whom much is given much is tested."

#16 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,683 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted May 21, 2009 - 12:40 AM

We don't know how much of this is actually him saying that he doesn't want those teams, or i'ts all his agent...
Posted Image

#17 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted May 21, 2009 - 12:58 AM

Should flunk all his workouts, pretend to be a "cancer" attitude so he falls and gets drafted for the Lakers imo.

He's got a funny shaped nose...

Edited by Darth Bynumite, May 21, 2009 - 12:59 AM.

Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#18 Kenrae

Kenrae

Metal Mutant

• 954 posts

Posted May 21, 2009 - 02:23 AM

Come on guys, this is just his American agent wanting more money, so he stirs the pot. He did the same with Yi, and look how that turned out. His European agent will try to convince him to remain in Europe some more time. He'll be a Grizzlie next season unless they trade him (no way they don't draft him), I'm convinced.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

#19 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted May 21, 2009 - 02:39 AM

European (same for Asian, African and South American) players don't go to the NBA because of "playing standards" regardless of what some might think. They don't go to the NBA "to play in the best league ever". They go for money, period. The commercial and financial benefits of playing in the NBA are higher than say the Spanish league.

Rubio will try and fish out as much money as he can from his NBA team.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#20 BabiesWithScabies

BabiesWithScabies

Rookie

• 224 posts
  • Name:Beatrice
  • Fan Since:For....evvve.....errr
  • Fav. Laker:Mark Madsen

Posted May 21, 2009 - 09:25 AM

Man the [expletive] up and play for the team that drafts you.

Exactly.
"I saw a lady on T.V. She was born without arms. Literally, she was born with her hands attached to her shoulders... and that was sad, but then they said, "Lola does not know the meaning of the word 'can't.'" And that to me was kinda worse... in a way... ya know? Not only does she not have arms, but she doesn't understand simple contractions. It's very simple Lola, you just take two words, you put them together, then you take out the middle letters, you put a comma in there and you raise it up!" -Mitch Hedberg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users