Photo

Wizards Will Shop No. 5 Pick

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,630 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted May 20, 2009 - 01:51 PM

Posted Image

The Wizards were shutout of the top overall pick and even out of the top-four, moving down to the fifth slot.

"There are a lot of great players in this draft. We're in a good spot to get a good player or to possibly use that player in a trade," Ernie Grunfeld said in a telephone interview. "We feel comfortable with the fifth pick, but we are going to explore our options to see what can make us the best possible team next year. But we feel, if we have all of our pieces out there, it would be hard for any young player to come in and break into the lineup -- even if it was the first pick."

http://www.washingto...967.html?sub=AR

#2 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,205 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 01:55 PM

this is a weak top of the draft strong middle and decent late
Posted Image

#3 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,285 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 20, 2009 - 03:41 PM

How can the middle of a draft be weak?

Wouldn't the strength always filter to the top? Why would teams let better players go later and waste a high pick on poor players?

The fact is, this draft is maybe 5 or 6 deep, with a lot of "trap" (Tyler Hansbrough) kinds of players sprinkled throughout.

#4 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 1,455 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted May 20, 2009 - 03:55 PM

I think there is a lot of teams that may be trying to move out. Rubio is the consensus #2 pick. I don't think Ricky Rubio will fit in Memphis, they've been trying to cut down their guard rotation for awhile. OJ Mayo needs the ball in his hands and Conley has performed very well as the season progressed. I think there are teams out there that may want Ricky Rubio and Memphis could get a better big man out of that trade than reaching for Thabeet at #2. Clippers are looking to move Kaman. Maybe the Knicks will deal Lee + 8th pick for #2 and filler. I think Wizards should make a play for Thabeet, he's just what they need IMO.
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#5 fido

fido

• 11,285 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 04:03 PM

Rubio is the toughest call of the draft.

I still don't think he's ready to start anywhere, but Oklahoma would probably love to have him dip down to #3.

#6 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 04:10 PM

I think there is a lot of teams that may be trying to move out. Rubio is the consensus #2 pick. I don't think Ricky Rubio will fit in Memphis, they've been trying to cut down their guard rotation for awhile. OJ Mayo needs the ball in his hands and Conley has performed very well as the season progressed. I think there are teams out there that may want Ricky Rubio and Memphis could get a better big man out of that trade than reaching for Thabeet at #2. Clippers are looking to move Kaman. Maybe the Knicks will deal Lee + 8th pick for #2 and filler. I think Wizards should make a play for Thabeet, he's just what they need IMO.

Rubio is a pass first pointguard. I would think Rubio would be perfect fit for OJ because OJ is better at the 2.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

#7 fido

fido

• 11,285 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 04:14 PM

Memphis needs veteran players, not another developing one. They're already having trouble making financial ends meet. Though Rubio may get some peopl into the seats it wouldn't be as much as a team that was playoff bound and won more games.

Adding another 2 years of development onto the team while Mayo begins to look elsewhere for his future won't do them any good. I'd trade the 2nd pick to a Phoenix type for some proven veteran(s).

#8 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,420 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 20, 2009 - 04:15 PM

Luke Walton for #5 Pick :thumbsup:

#9 fido

fido

• 11,285 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 04:16 PM

No thanks - more youth is not needed around these parts.

#10 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 04:17 PM

Memphis needs veteran players, not another developing one. They're already having trouble making financial ends meet. Though Rubio may get some peopl into the seats it wouldn't be as much as a team that was playoff bound and won more games.

Adding another 2 years of development onto the team while Mayo begins to look elsewhere for his future won't do them any good. I'd trade the 2nd pick to a Phoenix type for some proven veteran(s).

Mayo still has 3 more years with Memphis minimum until he can look around plus memphis can match on that 4th year.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

PHIL JACKSON

#11 fido

fido

• 11,285 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 04:19 PM

I didn't say he was gone in 2 years, but his mind can wander - "...while Mayo begins to look elsewhere..."

I just don't think adding youth onto youth is a good idea for any team trying to make money / win games / become a playoff team.

#12 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,420 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 20, 2009 - 04:25 PM

I didn't say he was gone in 2 years, but his mind can wander - "...while Mayo begins to look elsewhere..."

I just don't think adding youth onto youth is a good idea for any team trying to make money / win games / become a playoff team.

Mayo will most likely bolt after his contract is up. He went to USC to play in a big time city where he would be marketable. He will do the same in the NBA, he could very well go to somewhere like a New York, Chicago, or even come back to LA if the Lakers have enough money and Mayo could be the one who takes the reigns after KB is done.

But I don't see him staying in Memphis.

#13 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 04:32 PM

This day and age it is rare for teams to leave their initial team due to a few reasons. One they can always make more with their original team and two the contract they get after their fourth year can be matched by the team itself. Off hand I can't remember the last star player that has left his original team when he is ready to sign a big deal.

PHIL JACKSON

#14 Klewfish

Klewfish

• 1,455 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 04:48 PM

OJ is more suited for the two-guard, but he still needs the ball in his hands to be effective, and him and Conley had some chemistry starting. I guess if they take Rubio, Conley will be on his way out.
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#15 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,205 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 04:54 PM

OJ is more suited for the two-guard, but he still needs the ball in his hands to be effective, and him and Conley had some chemistry starting. I guess if they take Rubio, Conley will be on his way out.

i'd take conley hes a very good defender and has more potential than any PG on this team

i hope they take rubio so maybe we can swing a trade for conley

thabeet makes no sense there since they have marc
Posted Image

#16 Klewfish

Klewfish

• 1,455 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 05:20 PM

I think other teams have more to offer for Conley than we would unless we gave up Odom this offseason. I really think we will see a lot of swapping of picks either way.

#17 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 07:35 PM

I think other teams have more to offer for Conley than we would unless we gave up Odom this offseason. I really think we will see a lot of swapping of picks either way.

I wouldn't be surprised if Portland someday try to get Conley since him and Oden work well together and are buddies.

PHIL JACKSON

#18 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted May 20, 2009 - 07:43 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Portland someday try to get Conley since him and Oden work well together and are buddies.

yep...maybe rodriguez for Conley....everyone wins...except rudy Fernandez
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users