We weren't prepared for Denver

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 revgen

revgen

Rookie

• 969 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 01:19 AM

The 7 game series with Houston nearly cost us tonight. We only had 1 day to prepare for this game.

If it hadn't been for Kobe bailing us out, Denver making mistakes, and Ariza getting a miracle steal, it would have cost us.

Instead, we have another day to learn about how Denver plays and what to do about it.

One thing Denver does is front a lot. Phil needs to conduct a post-entry passing boot camp in practice tomorrow. We also need to slow down the pace. We were playing at Denver's pace nearly all game long. Not good. Our bigs need to watch gametape and see exactly how Denver runs their offense. Neither LO, Pau, nor Drew had any idea where or when to help.

Hopefully, the guys understand just how lucky they were not to lose this game and learn exactly what they need to do to win the next one.

#2 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 20, 2009 - 02:05 AM

Bad game by the Lakers. Can't be happy about having to come back like that. Thank God for Kobe Bryant and that sweet Ariza steal.

Despite the problems Melo presents, Kobe needs to defend him. Size advantage? Yeah...doesn't matter, because Melo completely wasted Ariza the entire game.

Gasol has to get big for the entire game. He had two back-to-back defensive plays, but basketball is 48 minutes long, and the rest of the time, his defense was just terrible.

Bynum a no-show after his fourth foul. Probably a good thing, though...no idea how the game would've turned out with him in it, to be honest.

Fisher started off terribly, hit some big shots along the way.

Bad transition defense all night long by the Lakers. Offense was stagnant from all of those Kobe double-teams. I can't believe how early and frequent the Nuggets double Bryant...it's unbelievable.

The Lakers need to step up the physicality, spacing, transition defense and ball movement for Game 2. Double Melo when Bryant is on Billups, help defense and shut down the baseline when Bryant is defending Anthony, and pick and rolls out of Gasol and Kobe, with our point drifting out to the perimeter for an open shot.

#3 DameC24

DameC24

16!

• 535 posts
  • Name:Dame
  • Fan Since:When I seen my first Laker game on CBS
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted May 20, 2009 - 04:33 AM

Agreeg Real Deal. Gasol let Nene have a good game against him, even though he fouled out. Also, L.O. needs to get in Martin's face some more. Contest his shot better. Bynum, usually has good games against these guys, but at first he was starting out to have a good game. After his 4th foul, he went in the missing person's facility. But I expect them to come out Game 2, with better defense, because obviously, we have a deeper bench than them. But a win is a win, and I'll take it.

#4 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,435 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted May 20, 2009 - 05:04 AM

If it hadn't been for Kobe bailing us out, Denver making mistakes, and Ariza getting a miracle steal, it would have cost us.

1. KB is our star. The best player on earth. The best closer on earth. He's supposed to bail the Lakers out in tight games. Hes done so many times before. Thats not a surprize to the Lakers game plan.
2. Denver made mistakes, Lakers made mistakes to. It all balances out. Check the box score man both teams had 15 turn overs and 26 personal fouls.
Please show me the vid of a team who ever played a PERFECT playoff game...lol
3. Why is it that when a Laker other than KB makes a great play on the ball its always "a miracle play"?
Ariza was 6th in steals during the season. He's been doing that all year long. He had 3 steals last night. So does that mean he had 3 miracles in one game....dayyyuuummm. Jesus Ariza? Not quite. He's doing what he always does it just happend on a critical possesion this time.

You can leverage your same rational for the Nuggets great plays to.
If it hadnt been for Chaunceys 3 at the end, If it hadnt been for K-Marts 4 awkward shots that dropped, or the Lakers mistakes including Pau's 2 missed FT's with 1 minute left and KB's technical, or Melo's 39 it would have cost Denver.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#5 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 05:35 AM

If Kobe Bryant is supposed to bail us out all the time, we might as well bench Pau, Bynum and Lamar.

#6 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted May 20, 2009 - 06:05 AM

1. KB is our star. The best player on earth. The best closer on earth. He's supposed to bail the Lakers out in tight games. Hes done so many times before. Thats not a surprize to the Lakers game plan.
2. Denver made mistakes, Lakers made mistakes to. It all balances out. Check the box score man both teams had 15 turn overs and 26 personal fouls.
Please show me the vid of a team who ever played a PERFECT playoff game...lol
3. Why is it that when a Laker other than KB makes a great play on the ball its always "a miracle play"?
Ariza was 6th in steals during the season. He's been doing that all year long. He had 3 steals last night. So does that mean he had 3 miracles in one game....dayyyuuummm. Jesus Ariza? Not quite. He's doing what he always does it just happend on a critical possesion this time.

You can leverage your same rational for the Nuggets great plays to.
If it hadnt been for Chaunceys 3 at the end, If it hadnt been for K-Marts 4 awkward shots that dropped, or the Lakers mistakes including Pau's 2 missed FT's with 1 minute left and KB's technical, or Melo's 39 it would have cost Denver.

I don't think Kobe bailing us out is part of any game plan. It's more of a last resort if our game plan falls through. It's great to have the luxury, but it's never good thing when it comes to that point where Kobe needs to bail us out. Other than Kobe, the team played below average. Everyone had their moments, but just having moments isn't going to cut it. We need consistency. They need to come in with energy and sustain it. While we probably made more overall mistakes throughout the game, the nuggets' mistakes took place at crucial times and were costly.

As Phil said, they outplayed us. We stole this game on our homecourt from them. It's a bit comforting to know we can play poorly and pull out a win, but I hope it doesn't get to that point again.

#7 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,450 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted May 20, 2009 - 07:12 AM

Good, hard fought, come from behind win last night. I really don't think we have an answer for Melo. I'd like to say Kobe but Melo to big and physical, wouldn't want Kobe to get in foul trouble. Trevor gonna have to look at this game and see how he can play him better & where he can get help from. Kobe manned up in the end, especially when he drove it knowing Martin was gonna hammer him. Glad Fish's shot hasn't totally abandoned him. Nene had to many open, easy to the basket looks. Don't think that will happen much. Maybe Martin can knock down the open shot....

veqdeg.jpg

#8 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,435 posts
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.

Posted May 20, 2009 - 07:22 AM

I really don't think we have an answer for Melo.

Why doesnt Odom gaurd Melo?

SF vs SF.
Melo 6'8" 230 lbs.
LO 6-10" 230 lbs.

And I think Melo has more hops, but LO has a longer reach.

I dont understand why LO isnt gaurding Melo. Atleast some of the time.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#9 thepyre

thepyre

Rookie

• 163 posts
  • Fan Since:83
  • Fav. Laker:magic, kobe

Posted May 20, 2009 - 07:24 AM

maybe hoping that ariza can make melo cough up the ball?

#10 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,450 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted May 20, 2009 - 07:30 AM

Why doesnt Odom gaurd Melo?

SF vs SF.
Melo 6'8" 230 lbs.
LO 6-10" 230 lbs.

And I think Melo has more hops, but LO has a longer reach.

I dont understand why LO isnt gaurding Melo. Atleast some of the time.

Nice point. Maybe with Drew getting in foul trouble, we needed LO on the inside more. Guess Phil went with our 'stopper.'

veqdeg.jpg

#11 hi_ma

hi_ma

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 07:36 AM

Bad game? wasnt pau leading RB's guy in a game we throttled them on the offensive boards?

Kobe did what he did.

Trev screwed by fouls still grinded.

that was a great game and an even greater win.

"If it hadn't been for Kobe bailing us out, Denver making mistakes, and Ariza getting a miracle steal, it would have cost us."

BTW- this is a hilarious statement. Kobe did what hes suppose to do. Close. trevor makes miracle steals every game.
Denver had more than 10more FT's than us. If Pau hadnt missed two late, or if they would have called chauncey out. What then?

Sorry, but the "ifs" you claim are why we are so good
Kobe's official reign of terror is about to get its jump off on.

#12 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 07:45 AM

Bad game? wasnt pau leading RB's guy in a game we throttled them on the offensive boards?

Kobe did what he did.

Trev screwed by fouls still grinded.

that was a great game and an even greater win.

"If it hadn't been for Kobe bailing us out, Denver making mistakes, and Ariza getting a miracle steal, it would have cost us."

BTW- this is a hilarious statement. Kobe did what hes suppose to do. Close. trevor makes miracle steals every game.
Denver had more than 10more FT's than us. If Pau hadnt missed two late, or if they would have called chauncey out. What then?

Sorry, but the "ifs" you claim are why we are so good

What do you mean "if Gasol hadn't missed two late" in this game? Because from what I recall, Billups missed three consecutive free throws, which is very, very, very rare.

Anthony Carter played too long. If Karl had kept him on the bench, we would've probably seen a 0-1 heading into Game 2.

It was a bad game. Not all wins are good when our weaknesses are exposed (and they usually are in the first place).

#13 hi_ma

hi_ma

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 07:49 AM

What do you mean "if Gasol hadn't missed two late" in this game? Because from what I recall, Billups missed three consecutive free throws, which is very, very, very rare.

Anthony Carter played too long. If Karl had kept him on the bench, we would've probably seen a 0-1 heading into Game 2.

It was a bad game. Not all wins are good when our weaknesses are exposed (and they usually are in the first place).

We out rebounded them(2nd chance points), and our bench outplayed theirs. Our superstar was better than theirs.

JVG had the same philosophy as Karl as well in regards to carter. When did Billups miss his? paus were late late. Didnt say it was pretty but we did really what we are built to do

#14 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 08:01 AM

We out rebounded them(2nd chance points), and our bench outplayed theirs. Our superstar was better than theirs.

JVG had the same philosophy as Karl as well in regards to carter. When did Billups miss his? paus were late late. Didnt say it was pretty but we did really what we are built to do

Kobe dropping 40 on 46% from the field, and Melo dropping 39 on what...70% or something around there? I don't really see where Kobe actually had the better night. Both played an excellent game.

We always out-rebound our opponents. We were a top rebounding team all season long, probably at the very top, don't remember. That didn't stop us from going to a Game 7 against a smaller Houston team.

Our bench didn't do anything. Other than Lamar, who shot just 3-5, the rest of them shot 7-21 from the field. It's just as bad as the 2-7 that JR Smith shot, and Anthony Carter only attempted four shots. Both benches were absolutely pathetic.

Our bigs were manhandled. Fisher started the game missing his first six or seven shots.

There was absolutely nothing good about what happened last night other than Kobe, our rebounding and Carter screwing up.

#15 hi_ma

hi_ma

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 08:08 AM

Kobe dropping 40 on 46% from the field, and Melo dropping 39 on what...70% or something around there? I don't really see where Kobe actually had the better night. Both played an excellent game.

We always out-rebound our opponents. We were a top rebounding team all season long, probably at the very top, don't remember. That didn't stop us from going to a Game 7 against a smaller Houston team.

Our bench didn't do anything. Other than Lamar, who shot just 3-5, the rest of them shot 7-21 from the field. It's just as bad as the 2-7 that JR Smith shot, and Anthony Carter only attempted four shots. Both benches were absolutely pathetic.

Our bigs were manhandled. Fisher started the game missing his first six or seven shots.

There was absolutely nothing good about what happened last night other than Kobe, our rebounding and Carter screwing up.

IDC what the FG% was. Kobe when the game was in limbo late, outplayed Melo by light years.

Ik we outrebound teams. rebounds are a tough physical stat. For being "manhandled" we sure did manage to out tough them for RB's. IIRC Pau had the most in the game.

Both benches were pathetic. However IMO ours was less which means ours outplayed them.

Kobe and our RB's is what makes us the team we are. Carter screwing up was also a great read by trev.

No one is saying it was pretty, but for a bunch of fans (not you) who claim we are soft etc, it seems like we came up pretty tough in a very tough game

#16 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 08:21 AM

I'm one of the fans that will tell you, before anyone else, that we are soft up front.

Gasol needs to back his man into the paint, get mean and force his way to the rim. A finesse Gasol puts him too far from the rim, which kills our spacing because he ends up too close to Bryant.

You say we came up tough in a very tough game. Kobe did. I didn't see anyone else do much in that fourth, outside of Trevor's steal.

Nene's defense has always been overrated by the Nuggets fans. Chris Andersen was sitting for a while, as something happened to him (not sure what), and he comes off the bench to begin with. Gasol should've dominated, offensively, but he's not strong enough.

All the while, Odom is forced to play a guard role, because K-Mart will just push him out of the paint.

We can't match their physical play, period. Kobe even has trouble matching Melo's physical defense (and a bit too physical, same with Jones), and when that happens, you know the only other guy who can get truly physical on this team is Derek Fisher. Ariza was getting abused by Melo all game long, Bynum's defense was the complete opposite of his offense, Shannon was getting laid out and thrown to the ground, and Luke's physical play comes to an end when he's having to defend anyone on this team that decides to take him into the post.

I guess you see it differently. I see the glaring problems we had against Houston, against Utah, and against Boston in last year's NBA Finals.

#17 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,435 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 08:24 AM

Theres no doubt abaout it.
In crunch time KB24 killed and Melo couldnt keep up.
KB had 15 points in the final 6 minutes. 18 pts in the 4th and this while he was gaurding the much bigger Melo man to man.
lol.
Its not even an argument is it?

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#18 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 08:28 AM

Theres no doubt abaout it.
In crunch time KB24 killed and Melo couldnt keep up.
KB had 15 points in the final 6 minutes. 18 pts in the 4th and this while he was gaurding the much bigger Melo man to man.
lol.
Its not even an argument is it?

That's not the argument. The game isn't going to be played one-on-one every single time, or else we lose.

Melo outplayed Kobe for three quarters, frankly because Kobe was getting doubled right when he touched the ball, even 30 feet out, while Melo was toying with Ariza.

If we play Game 2 the same way we did last night, we lose. Simple as that.

#19 hi_ma

hi_ma

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted May 20, 2009 - 08:28 AM

I guess you see it differently. I see the glaring problems we had against Houston, against Utah, and against Boston in last year's NBA Finals.

I guess so. I see a W. I saw a team out tough another team when the game was at its toughest. pau big RB's. LO huge block. trev/fish hitting huge pressure 3's. pau's interior D forcing bad attempts. Scrambling stifling D from 5 deep when the game was maddening late

Also the toughest minds wear P&G

#20 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,923 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 20, 2009 - 08:31 AM

And the big thing was that despite the myriad of things the Lakers did below their level - they still won the game.

This was Denver's best shot to take a game from the Lakers.

Denver does not have the composure or mental wherewithal to compete in a series with a team that has been there before and has more calm down the stretch. They showed it last night with stupid fouls in crunch time and terrible decisions in the waning seconds.

The main key to this series is the Lakers maintaining control of themselves throughout the game and not sinking into the manic style of game the nuggets want to impose.

Lakers in 5.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users