48 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:04 AM

LINK

I noted in a blog post after Game 7 that Vujacic was unhappy that Farmar didn’t pass the ball in a transition attack to the left corner, where Vujacic stood alone and waiting in his usual spot-up location, choosing instead to bounce the ball toward more traffic and the right wing for Shannon Brown. The pass was behind Brown and resulted in a turnover. (Farmar did pass the ball to the right corner for Vujacic to make his next basket, however.)

I noted in a column after Game 6 that Farmar turned to the Lakers’ bench after Vujacic tried and failed to create a scoring chance for himself on a pinch-post jumper and appealed to the coaches to pull Vujacic. As he was doing so, Farmar noticed Phil Jackson already had Brown ready at the scorer’s table to sub for Vujacic for a previous misdeed, and Farmar nodded in agreement.

One might find it noteworthy that Farmar would lean toward Brown, a newcomer and someone who took away much of his playing time earlier, over Vujacic. You could argue that Farmar should simply go for the hotter hand in trying to win instead of worrying about getting his struggling teammate untracked, but obviously there are more layers to it.

We know opponents and teammates alike can get annoyed with Vujacic, but he has supporters on the team with the way Kobe Bryant backed him in his post-Game 7 news conference and how Vujacic paused in his shooting program to talk briefly with Pau Gasol about pending post-practice lunch plans in Hermosa Beach.

Edited by MDI, May 19, 2009 - 09:05 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,313 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:06 AM

I think they've been having problems for some time now. You can usually see them arguing on the bench.

#3 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,931 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:06 AM

It's nothing new for Farmar to freeze out an opponent. He often won't throw the ball to Kobe, so him choosing anyone else over Vujacic is nothing to be surprised about.

I've also seen Brown not throw to a wide-open Vujacic; so really, none of this is shocking.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#4 lakerswiz

lakerswiz

Off The Bench

• 2,578 posts

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:08 AM

It's Sasha more than it is anyone else. Farmar deserves none of the blame on this incident.

#5 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:10 AM

Sasha tends to not know a shot he doesn't like and farmar tends to try to do too much. Sasha i think needs much more growth in team play than farmar.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

#6 BlownAP

BlownAP

SIXth man

• 223 posts
  • Name:Nate
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:L-boogie

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:12 AM

great more complaining from sasha......... :omg:

#7 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,306 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:13 AM

Farmar didn't pass him the ball 'cause he knew Sasha's going to miss... It's as simple as that. Sasha's teammates no longer have trust in him. He can't even make wide open threes. I think he air-balled a wide open corner three not long ago...

But yeah. I think the have some kind of a conflict. Brown took all their minutes and their battling back. Farmar is doing better than Vujacic right now.

Edited by Saber, May 19, 2009 - 09:14 AM.

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Message From Pac

#8 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:16 AM

A thread about two of our worst players???

Pau Gasol is GONE

#9 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:17 AM

I think Farmar might be the odd one out in the Denver series. The nuggets backcourt are terrible matchup for Farmar since he's too small to guard any of them. He might get spot minutes here and there but it looks like it will be Sasha's minutes to lose.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#10 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:19 AM

Kobe and Shannon in the backcourt...anything else is asking for trouble.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#11 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:22 AM

Kobe and Shannon in the backcourt...anything else is asking for trouble.

Karl utilizes the zone a lot so if those two are in the backcourt you're asking for poor shooters like Ariza/Walton to play at SF. I'm not saying we need the 3 to beat teams but it definetly makes things a lot easier. If Ariza can find his stroke, it would be great but look for Sasha to get more minutes at the 2 with Kobe at the 3 to space the floor.

Also, JR Smith has been ridiculous in the playoffs. One thing everyone can admit is that Sasha's annoying and a nuisance on defense. Maybe he'll rattle Smith and force him to play more one on one and mess up their game plan.

Edited by MDI, May 19, 2009 - 09:24 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#12 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:26 AM

Karl utilizes the zone a lot so if those two are in the backcourt you're asking for poor shooters like Ariza/Walton to play at SF. I'm not saying we need the 3 to beat teams but it definetly makes things a lot easier. If Ariza can find his stroke, it would be great but look for Sasha to get more minutes at the 2 with Kobe at the 3 to space the floor.

A common misconception is that he can shoot but he can't. He's a liablility out there. Shannon is a far better shooter, scorer, defender, and passer. He doesn't make dumb mistakes like Vuja[expletive] tends to do either. I'll take Ariza's game over Sasha's game any day of the week.

Also, JR Smith has been ridiculous in the playoffs. One thing everyone can admit is that Sasha's annoying and a nuisance on defense. Maybe he'll rattle Smith and force him to play more one on one and mess up their game plan.

Annoying and nuisance does not make you an effective defender.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#13 lakerswiz

lakerswiz

Off The Bench

• 2,578 posts

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:29 AM

I think Farmar might be the odd one out in the Denver series. The nuggets backcourt are terrible matchup for Farmar since he's too small to guard any of them. He might get spot minutes here and there but it looks like it will be Sasha's minutes to lose.

anthony carter?

#14 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:30 AM

A common misconception is that he can shoot but he can't. He's a liablility out there. Shannon is a far better shooter, scorer, defender, and passer. He doesn't make dumb mistakes like Vuja[expletive] tends to do either. I'll take Ariza's game over Sasha's game any day of the week.

Annoying and nuisance does not make you an effective defender.

He's a threat at the end of the day. His man isn't gonna leave him open to help out on Kobe or whoever like they do with Ariza and Walton. This was why Vlad was effective when he was here. Even when his shot wasn't falling he was a threat. He provided ridiculous amount of spacing. I agree Sasha has been terrible in the playoffs but if I want one person to guard JR Smith (and contribute on offense) other than Kobe it would be Sasha.

I agree "annoying" and "nusisance" doesn't make you a good defender but when it comes to a hotheaded player like JR Smith it may be enough. Doesn't take much to get into his head and take his focus out of the game. He's a huge part of their team.

anthony carter?

thats why i said spot minutes. 5-6 mins per game and thats it. You know karl is gonna milk our poor PGs as much as possible by giving big minutes to Billups. Similar to how Sloan handled Deron.

Edited by MDI, May 19, 2009 - 09:32 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#15 lakerswiz

lakerswiz

Off The Bench

• 2,578 posts

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:32 AM

no reason phil shouldn't put ariza or kobe on chauncy.

#16 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:33 AM

no reason phil shouldn't put ariza or kobe on chauncy.

we don't want Kobe to risk getting into foul trouble. And if Ariza is hitting his 3s, he gets the PT.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#17 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:37 AM

He's a threat at the end of the day. His man isn't gonna leave him open to help out on Kobe or whoever like they do with Ariza and Walton. This was why Vlad was effective when he was here. Even when his shot wasn't falling he was a threat. He provided ridiculous amount of spacing. I agree Sasha has been terrible in the playoffs but if I want one person to guard JR Smith (and contribute on offense) other than Kobe it would be Sasha.

I agree "annoying" and "nusisance" doesn't make you a good defender but when it comes to a hotheaded player like JR Smith it may be enough. Doesn't take much to get into his head and take his focus out of the game. He's a huge part of their team.

So far, he's been an unrealized threat...which in essence means no threat at all. Sasha isn't automatic and he has a habit of missing wide open shots as well. Teams will leave him open because he hasn't proven that he's a consistent shooter...KEY WORD being consistent. JR Smith will destroy Sasha...no contest.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#18 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:40 AM

So far, he's been an unrealized threat...which in essence means no threat at all. Sasha isn't automatic and he has a habit of missing wide open shots as well. Teams will leave him open because he hasn't proven that he's a consistent shooter...KEY WORD being consistent. JR Smith will destroy Sasha...no contest.

Shooters like him are streaky. Before heading into the playoffs he had a good month where he was top 10 in 3 point shooting. The last thing they want to do is get Sasha into a rhythm.

This isn't a one on one contest and you know Sasha's not gonna get 25-30 minutes per game. With the limited minutes he gets giving Kobe rest, I think he'll be productive out there.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#19 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:47 AM

Shooters like him are streaky. Before heading into the playoffs he had a good month where he was top 10 in 3 point shooting. The last thing they want to do is get Sasha into a rhythm.

This isn't a one on one contest and you know Sasha's not gonna get 25-30 minutes per game. With the limited minutes he gets giving Kobe rest, I think he'll be productive out there.

Shooters like him?

JR Smith is streaky, Eddie House is streaky. But they are both better ball players than Sasha. To be considered "streaky" you have to make some shots first. The last thing Denver is worried about is Sasha.

He's trash and will forever be trash imo.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#20 hype

hype

says hi!

• 3,739 posts

Posted May 19, 2009 - 09:48 AM

Sasha will crowd JR and pick up many touch fouls for sure. JR is nowhere as immature as Wafer, he'll be able to shrug Sasha's annoying defense off and play his normal game.

Sasha's only job in this series is hit his open shots - which he's failed to do consistently the entire year - and anything else is a luxury. Heck, even Sasha hitting his open shots right now is a luxury... if not, we'd only be playing him because his height at 6'7 allows him to guard the 1-3.

Farmar I think will get a chance to play early in the series. If he stinks it up again, Brown will take over a la Utah. I think Farmar has gotten back in the groove of things though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users