5/10 Los Angeles Lakers vs. Houston Rockets (Game 4)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
612 replies to this topic

#601 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 10, 2009 - 05:22 PM

You gets NO Respect :angry:

Posted Image

You act like we haven't lost two games to the Rockets...one of those being at home.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#602 S.Kobe.1080

S.Kobe.1080

Mark Ingram for Heisman

• 1,075 posts
  • Name:Justin
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Odom

Posted May 10, 2009 - 05:22 PM

Good game

Posted Image

#603 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts
  • Name:WILL.I.AM
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba

Posted May 10, 2009 - 05:28 PM

You act like we haven't lost two games to the Rockets...one of those being at home.

An You act like we didn't beat the Rockets twice, Once at their Home.

Think before you blurt crap homie.

I am not settled to write off the Lakers losing in game 7 or this series even reaching game 7 like you.

You a suspect Laker fan homie.......... :lol:
Posted Image

#604 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted May 10, 2009 - 05:49 PM

Krzyzewski is one of the biggest problems out there.

Why do you think his teams get their butts kicked in the NCAA's year after year?

Back in the older days, before athletes were the caliber they were today, his teams could get away with this crap, and succeed in the tourney.

It is well documented that the 2001 title was handed to Duke. There was an expose written in the Washington Post, concerning the poor officiating in the semi-final game against Maryland.

Now, he gets a bunch of ivy-league white stiffs, they get favorable officiating throughout the season, get a top-seed, and them promptly get upset in the tourney.

Now, I'll be fair, Krzyzewski is a great coach; however, the defensive style he teaches and his teams get away with in ACC play, is not one that translates to the NBA.

Battier is a great defender. I love his game, and wish we had 2 of him on the Lakers; but, outside of Battier, what Duke player can you cite that went on to become great defenders in the NBA?

Ferry? Laettner? Hurley? Hill? Langdon? Wojochiekowski (I bring him up b/c he was DPOY in college in 1998)?
Redick? J. Williams? Maggette? Brand?

Where are the great, Duke defenders? Those guys get away with murder and get preferential treatment in the college game; but, the lack of athleticism (in many, not all, certainly not Maggette) does not translate into the NBA game.

If someone thinks that the pushing, grabbing, hand-checking and flopping that goes on in Durham is an example of how to teach great defense, then that is a sad commentary on the ESPN generation.

Again, Battier is a great defender, but the play in question is not an example of his great defense; but rather, it is an example of Battier wisely using what the NBA now calls "defense" firmly to his advantage to draw a charge.

That's not a slap on Battier. That's a slap on what the NBA has become. A huge reason why the block/charge rule is so controversial is because what players now do the majority of the time to draw a charge would not have even constituted defense 25 years ago.

But in conclusion, to act as if you can look to Duke and Krzyzewski for a great example of how to play defense is a huge misnomer. The hand-checking that Krzyzewski teaches and his teams get away with is technically not even allowed in the NBA.
When it is called, a guy like Kobe gets marched to the line (within the rules), when it doesn't get called it makes it easier for Shane Battier to look like an all-defensive player.

Coach K is a coach that teaches principles of good defense. He is not a problem like you say. I am not talking about the rules of college but defensive principles which translate wherever. You don't win like Coach K without teaching good D.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

#605 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted May 10, 2009 - 05:52 PM

none of you know what's going to happen. all we can do is sit back and watch.

somebody needs to wake up andrew. you know, tell him to snap out of it. "mental issues" is a bull[expletive] excuse. accept your role and play to at least half of your hype. not like my opinion matters, but i have zero faith in him for the remainder of the playoffs. he doesn't want it. front office made a pretty big mistake in extending that contract so soon. could have cut costs big if they would have waited until the end of the season.

If someone was well under the cap they would have offered him that much and more. He got paid not because of this year but his future projection.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

PHIL JACKSON

#606 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 10, 2009 - 05:59 PM

An You act like we didn't beat the Rockets twice, Once at their Home.

Think before you blurt crap homie.

I am not settled to write off the Lakers losing in game 7 or this series even reaching game 7 like you.

You a suspect Laker fan homie.......... :lol:

And you act like we didn't sweep the Rockets in the regular season.

Think before u post. This complacency is exactly why I don't see this team winning it all this year.

Who cares what you're settled to do. I'm settled to do what I want. Don't worry about me...worry about yourself.

I'm not suspect...you're the one who's suspect. Pretend pretend fan. We could turn the ball over 50 times in one game and you'd still say we're playing efficient basketball.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#607 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,075 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 10, 2009 - 06:09 PM

Coach K is a coach that teaches principles of good defense. He is not a problem like you say. I am not talking about the rules of college but defensive principles which translate wherever. You don't win like Coach K without teaching good D.

Do you even know what defensive principles he teaches?

There is a reason why his team has been struggling so much in the NCAA tournament the last several years, despite having great regular seasons.

The regular seasons are gift-wrapped for Coach K. He has been in Durham for nearly 30 years, and has a great relationship with the officials. The one's he doesn't have a great relationship with, he intimidates with fire and venom.

He schedules an easy OOC schedule, refuses to play good, non-conference teams away from Cameron Indoor, or the Meadowlands, gets 2 first round tourney games in North Carolina virtually every year; yet, over the last 6-7 years, his team's keep falling way short of expectations in the NCAA tournament.

There is a reason why Wayne Tuner was able to consistently torch Mike Wojochiekowski in the NCAA Regional Final in 1998, even though Wojochiekowski was college's defensive player of the year.

Once his team's get out of the friendly confines of Durham, and the officials aren't in bed with Krzyzewski, then they all of a sudden can't keep up.

This is actually quite similar to the Kobe-Battier match-up. Let Battier put his hand on Kobe's hip, and all of a sudden, Kobe doesn't look quite so dominant. Whistle Battier for an early hand-check, and force him to defend Kobe without fouling, and Kobe can dominate like the MVP.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#608 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted May 10, 2009 - 06:33 PM

Do you even know what defensive principles he teaches?

There is a reason why his team has been struggling so much in the NCAA tournament the last several years, despite having great regular seasons.

The regular seasons are gift-wrapped for Coach K. He has been in Durham for nearly 30 years, and has a great relationship with the officials. The one's he doesn't have a great relationship with, he intimidates with fire and venom.

He schedules an easy OOC schedule, refuses to play good, non-conference teams away from Cameron Indoor, or the Meadowlands, gets 2 first round tourney games in North Carolina virtually every year; yet, over the last 6-7 years, his team's keep falling way short of expectations in the NCAA tournament.

There is a reason why Wayne Tuner was able to consistently torch Mike Wojochiekowski in the NCAA Regional Final in 1998, even though Wojochiekowski was college's defensive player of the year.

Once his team's get out of the friendly confines of Durham, and the officials aren't in bed with Krzyzewski, then they all of a sudden can't keep up.

This is actually quite similar to the Kobe-Battier match-up. Let Battier put his hand on Kobe's hip, and all of a sudden, Kobe doesn't look quite so dominant. Whistle Battier for an early hand-check, and force him to defend Kobe without fouling, and Kobe can dominate like the MVP.

Kobe is doing fine against battier and battier has been a good D player both in college and in pros. Great coaches don't win every year.. either in the pros or in college.

PHIL JACKSON

#609 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,075 posts

Posted May 10, 2009 - 06:56 PM

Kobe is doing fine against battier and battier has been a good D player both in college and in pros. Great coaches don't win every year.. either in the pros or in college.

Kobe is doing fine against Battier; but, it would be helpful if Kobe could get to the line more. Kobe shot 11-28 last game.

Turn a couple of missed jumpers into fouls, and his shooting % goes north, and so do his points.

The point on Krzyzewski is that what he is doing does not work anymore.

I'm not just talking about bad luck, I'm talking about a trend.

Look at the history. Look at Duke's dominance form 1986 to 1992, it's continued strong play through the 1990's, and then the drop-off in tourney success this decade.

It can be tied right back to Duke's inability to get away with the dirty play it gets away with in the regular season.

Duke is going into the tourney as a top team almost every year; yet, it's results keep getting worse. It goes back to the fact that Krzyzewski teaches a style of play that doesn't translate when his team doesn't get the calls.

It's also a style of play that does not prepare his star players for the next level, with a whole graveyard of contributors from Ferry, to Hurley, to Laettner, Parks, and on down the line.

You can do much better than Krzyzewski when it comes to teaching defense. Take a look in the direction of Tubby Smith, and follow the lineage of his players that are having success in the NBA (Note, you can start right in this series).

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#610 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted May 10, 2009 - 07:13 PM

Kobe is doing fine against Battier; but, it would be helpful if Kobe could get to the line more. Kobe shot 11-28 last game.

Turn a couple of missed jumpers into fouls, and his shooting % goes north, and so do his points.

The point on Krzyzewski is that what he is doing does not work anymore.

I'm not just talking about bad luck, I'm talking about a trend.

Look at the history. Look at Duke's dominance form 1986 to 1992, it's continued strong play through the 1990's, and then the drop-off in tourney success this decade.

It can be tied right back to Duke's inability to get away with the dirty play it gets away with in the regular season.

Duke is going into the tourney as a top team almost every year; yet, it's results keep getting worse. It goes back to the fact that Krzyzewski teaches a style of play that doesn't translate when his team doesn't get the calls.

It's also a style of play that does not prepare his star players for the next level, with a whole graveyard of contributors from Ferry, to Hurley, to Laettner, Parks, and on down the line.

You can do much better than Krzyzewski when it comes to teaching defense. Take a look in the direction of Tubby Smith, and follow the lineage of his players that are having success in the NBA (Note, you can start right in this series).

Kobe doesn't drive to the rim like in the past. He settles for jumpshots. I wouldn't worry about Duke. Can't win every year and the competition is very tough. It takes 6 wins to win a title not four like the Wooden era. Those guys didn't have the talent to make a big impact in the nba. He got the most out of them. No one said he was the best Defensive coach but he is one of the best college coaches.

PHIL JACKSON

#611 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 10, 2009 - 07:55 PM

Well we got bent over and raped by the Rockets. Gotta move onto the next game. Houston shot lights out, Lakers played dumb basketball.

One of the biggest reasons for this loss was because the Lakers had to switch to a new game plan. Lakers had probably practiced with the intent that Yao would play and that came back to bite them. Without Yao, you're offensive plan slightly changes and your defensive plan dramatically changes. The adjustments will be made and we will take game 5.

#612 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts
  • Name:WILL.I.AM
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba

Posted May 10, 2009 - 08:28 PM

And you act like we didn't sweep the Rockets in the regular season.

Think before u post. This complacency is exactly why I don't see this team winning it all this year.

Who cares what you're settled to do. I'm settled to do what I want. Don't worry about me...worry about yourself.

I'm not suspect...you're the one who's suspect. Pretend pretend fan. We could turn the ball over 50 times in one game and you'd still say we're playing efficient basketball.

WHats Thats? Huh??? Ohh I am sorry I don't speak " RETARDED".

You make zero sense , you put words in other peoples mouth to try defend your ridiculous rant.

When did I say or imply we are playing efficient Ball?

All I said is that I wouldn't write us off already when you made that "were losing to the Rockets in 7 " comment.

Not saying we didn't play like absolute SH#t TODAY , but to automatically give the series to the Rockets is a bit EXTREME and UNREAL!!!!!!

Your stating all these non sense comments saying I said that and this when all I said was I wouldn't write us off already.
Stop making up stuff I never said or implied

YOU ARE A SUSPECT FAN !!!!!! Your making up Crap to defend yourself. Get over it.

PATHETIC :eh:

Edited by ILLWiLL20, May 10, 2009 - 08:37 PM.

Posted Image

#613 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,075 posts

Posted May 11, 2009 - 09:59 AM

Kobe doesn't drive to the rim like in the past. He settles for jumpshots. I wouldn't worry about Duke. Can't win every year and the competition is very tough. It takes 6 wins to win a title not four like the Wooden era. Those guys didn't have the talent to make a big impact in the nba. He got the most out of them. No one said he was the best Defensive coach but he is one of the best college coaches.

Since the mid-1980's, it has taken Mike Krzyzewski 6 wins to win the NCAA tourney.

When his team made it to the FF, in 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, (and there are a lot more), was Duke using the six-game excuse?

You are trying to compare the Kyzyzewski era to the Wooden era; I'm comparing the Krzyzewski to Krzyzewski.

Now that the game has become more athletic, Krzyzewski's teams no longer succeed in the NCAA tournament.

They have great regular seasons, but consistently fail in the NCAA tourney. He hasn't been past the sweet 16 in years, even with #1 seeded teams.

Trying to shift this to a John Wooden era discussion simply reveals a lack of knowledge about Duke basketball history and an inability to develop a rational explanation as to why Duke is fading as a program.

Now, to Kobe, the "all jump-shot" excuse is lame.

Sure, it might reduce the number of trips he takes to the line; but, him not drawing any fouls in the first half yesterday? If you really believe that he wasn't fouled at all in the first half, then you aren't watching.

Meanwhile, there is a nice photo out there of Scola with his palm squarely in Kobe's face. I guess that doesn't constitute a "hand-check", in your book, because Kobe "doesn't drive anymore".

www.twitter.com/ukuga

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users