Cavs Steamrolling Could Be Bad Sign

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 hotrobot

hotrobot

Rookie

• 130 posts

Posted May 08, 2009 - 01:02 AM

Cavs are playing tremendous ball as they are currently undefeated in playoffs. They swept Detroit, probably will sweep the Hawks, and can close out Bos/Orl in 5 or 6 games. Meanwhile, we're being tested with physical teams and a second round series that can potentially go 7 games. Then, we'll have to face Denver (who I will finally admit is no joke) and that's a series that can go 6 or 7 games. Weirdly, Cavs would be a favorite in a Lakers-Cavs final.

However, look at last year. The reason why (I think) we lost against Boston was because we cakewalked to the finals. We got punched in the mouth by the Celtics after having the road to the finals laid out for us. And this was a Boston team that had two 7-game series and a tough Detroit series.

So, I hope Houston takes us to 7 games and I sure as hell want to see Denver make it a competitive 7-game series. After being easily crowned the Eastern Conference Champions in a couple weeks, the Cavs will feel so close to the title. That's when the Lakers, after a hellish road to the finals, will take the trophy in 5 games and leave the city of Cleveland speechless.

What do you guys think? I could totally be wrong..

Edited by hotrobot, May 08, 2009 - 01:04 AM.

#2 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted May 08, 2009 - 01:06 AM

For one thing, it seemed as if we thought Boston was going to hand us the trophy last season. We were dead wrong. As we steamrolled through the West, Boston faced adversity and faced elimination and was pushed to the brink and that helped them tremendously against us. It sort of gave them more experience and a better knowledge of how to win.

I sure as hell hope that what happens to the Lakers this time around, but I know they can win it all.

#3 A_V_R

A_V_R

A firm disbeliever in your punch clock promise

• 394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted May 08, 2009 - 01:07 AM

I agree with a lot of what you said, these things came across my mind too. It makes sense, it can have negative implications for them but at the same time I don't like constantly comparing team "x'" to the previous years championship team. Because hardly ever does a team make it to the finals in a similar fashion the very next year.

But good observations, time will tell.

#4 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,322 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 08, 2009 - 01:09 AM

Hey, we won our first 6 games last year too, then dropped 2 in a row. I doubt that Cleveland will sweep the Hawks. They are fully capable of pushing this series to game 7.

P.S. The Cleveland Cavaliers look exactly like the 07-08 Lakers...

#5 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,789 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted May 08, 2009 - 01:17 AM

the hawks just lost joe johnson, i doubt they can pull off even one win now

2div

#6 hotrobot

hotrobot

Rookie

• 130 posts

Posted May 08, 2009 - 01:20 AM

I don't know about 7 games...especially with JJ doubtful for Game 3.

#7 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,315 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted May 08, 2009 - 01:23 AM

Pistons and Hawks.. <--- they suck.

#8 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,518 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted May 08, 2009 - 08:32 AM

I'm sure this series and the next will get us prepped for the finals. Cavs won't be tested til the ECF. Hopefully a war with Boston will soften them up.

2hf753r.jpg

#9 Louizzle

Louizzle

L.A. All Day

• 945 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Derek Fisher

Posted May 08, 2009 - 09:09 AM

This was exactly what my dad was explaining to me earlier. As Kobe said, you have to be tested on your way to the finals. Right now, we're definitely being tested by Houston and the teams we're facing are so much better then the teams the Cavs will probably face.

Made By Vaporize

#10 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,489 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted May 08, 2009 - 09:23 AM

kicken arse and taking names has its consequences when your put into a position where your finnaly forced to face some adversity......but you havnt yet so your not sure how to handle the pressure. itll be interesting if it happens.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#11 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,877 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 08, 2009 - 09:28 AM

We went 15-1 in the 2001 Playoffs, won it all. Steamrolling only means you're just dominating everyone. There's no curveball to that.

#12 hotrobot

hotrobot

Rookie

• 130 posts

Posted May 08, 2009 - 10:27 AM

i'd say that's more of an exception than the rule. 2001 lakers flat out monopolized the league with philly being a very distant second. the current lakers and cavs are on even keel.

#13 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted May 08, 2009 - 10:48 AM

They have played very well.

I'm not trying to take anything away from them, but they haven't been tested yet in the playoffs.

They played a Pistons team that has been dysfunctional all season and is not the same Pistons that we've seen.

They beat the Hawks in game 1 pretty good, but in game two, the Hawks played without Horford and Williams, two big players for them.

But even with those circumstances, they are taking advantage and making sure they don't have a slip up against teams they should beat.

#14 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted May 08, 2009 - 02:47 PM

they haven't been tested yet...8th seed and Hawks..come on now...

personally? I CANNOT stand LeBron or the Cavs.
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#15 Guest_Nyla_*

Guest_Nyla_*

Posted May 08, 2009 - 03:14 PM

I hope they sweep! I have either tickets to the ECF or game 5, it depends on how the series plays out to which game it will be.

#16 S.Kobe.1080

S.Kobe.1080

Mark Ingram for Heisman

• 1,075 posts
  • Name:Justin
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Odom

Posted May 08, 2009 - 03:16 PM

Yea I pretty much expected them to sweep the first two rounds, Detroit is just awful. And Atlanta doesnt even have Horford or Marvin, and just lost JJ.

Posted Image

#17 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted May 08, 2009 - 06:17 PM

I dont know about that theory. Boston was flat out better than us. more experienced, hungrier and BIGGER.
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#18 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted May 08, 2009 - 10:41 PM

Lakers in 5, sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users