• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted April 23, 2009 - 11:05 AM

http://www.nba.com/2...0421/index.html

With the game on the line, here's who you want with the ball

Posted Image

5) LeBron James, Cavs: I know it seems counterintuitive to have LeBron at No. 5, but here's what worries me about him in game-winning situations -- he always seems to take a bad shot. It used to be that he'd pass the ball to someone else and let him decide the Cavs' fate, but now I have this running image of LeBron pounding the ball with the clock ticking away and bailing out the defense with a hurried, off-balance, head-scratching jumper. I'll say this, though -- I can't wait for the inevitable Lakers-Cavs faceoff.

4) Carmelo Anthony, Nuggets: Here's why I'd put him over LeBron: Carmelo might be the most efficient dude in the league when it comes to getting a good shot He doesn't always take the best shots, but when it's time to pull off a good look, only Kobe has Carmelo's repertoire and know-how. Oh, and the boy is clutch. He shoots 48 percent in game-winning situations. His peers are mostly in the 30s.

3) Brandon Roy, Blazers: I want to see what the youngster does against Artest and Battier when the game's on the line and the Blazers have a chance to win. My money would be on him canning some mid-range jumper and then scowling while his teammates mob him. I think Roy hit, like, 2,395 game-winners this season. He's every bit the clutch franchise player that the elite of the elite are.

2) Dwyane Wade, Heat: He's taken two game-winners in his Playoffs career and nailed both. Ditto for game-winning free throws. At some point, I hope he has a chance to win the game against the scrappy Hawks. The Hawks, however, do not.

1) Kobe Bryant, Lakers: Yes, Kobe misses a lot of game-winners. But you are lying to yourself if you say anyone -- other than DWade, in a reach -- is a bigger cinch with the ball in the clutch. In that classic Game 4 against the Suns in 2006, you knew the shot was good as soon as the Spalding flicked off his fingertips at the end of regulation. As I've said before, I think he'll go down alongside MJ, Bird and Jerry West (or Reggie Miller) on Mount Clutchmore.
FULL ARTICLE inside link.

#2 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Horry, Van Exel

Posted April 23, 2009 - 11:08 AM

Agreed.

Bleeding purple & gold...

#3 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,473 posts

Posted April 23, 2009 - 11:20 AM

my list

1.kobe
2.wade
3.roy
4.melo
5.vince

lebron shouldn't be in the discussion in my opinion (he dominates a lot of stuff, but when it comes to being clutch..not so much)

bw1wOGf.png

#4 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted April 23, 2009 - 11:21 AM

Agreed.

Do you agree with the exact order as well? I would just change/switch up Melo & Bron for sure. Melo is not a guy I would trust more in the clutch than LeBron and he's just NOT better than LeBron in the clutch. B-Roy, Wade, & Kobe though, that order's fine imo.

#5 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,473 posts

Posted April 23, 2009 - 11:28 AM

i didn't agree with melo thing at first..but the game winning shot percentage is pretty ridiculous..its hard to argue with that...aside from the better J to pull of those clutch performances he can probably hit free throws in the clutch better than bron

bw1wOGf.png

#6 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted April 23, 2009 - 11:44 AM

Anybody wanna' forward this over to LeBron's parent (ESPN)?

#7 LP_18

LP_18

Sasha's favorite

• 1,856 posts
  • Name:Lisa
  • Fav. Laker:Sasha!

Posted April 23, 2009 - 11:48 AM

Anybody wanna' forward this over to LeBron's parent (ESPN)?

i dont even think they would even say hes most clutch. hes not, hes great at most other things, but defintely not clutch.

QUOTE (MDI @ Mar 19 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when did sash turn into kobe ? WTF?

TEAM SASHA!
TEAM PAU PAU!

#8 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,913 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted April 23, 2009 - 12:10 PM

Kobe is brilliant when he can dribble into rhythm (he targets the right elbow).

He misses a lot of game-winners when they just throw the ball into him and he takes a three (usually from the left side) at the buzzer.

Personally, I think that both Pierce and Wade are brilliant are getting space and getting off a great shot at the buzzer.

Kobe, though, is the best player in the league down the stretch. He really is, "Mr. 4th Quarter", almost more so than he is, "Mr. Clutch".

Down the stretch of games, from hitting shots, to getting stops, to sinking his free throws, there is no one I'd rather have on my team than Kobe. No one.

But, for just taking that last shot, I'm not certain that I would necessarily choose Kobe over Wade, or even Pierce. That said, one of Kobe's problems is that he gets hacked at the end of the game, and never gets that call. That is a factor that hurts him that doesn't get recognition because it's not easily tracked.

Edited by UKUGA, April 23, 2009 - 12:11 PM.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#9 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted April 23, 2009 - 12:13 PM

List is pretty good. I'd say Vince is pretty clutch too (especially against the Raptors).
Melo's wet all the time.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#10 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted April 23, 2009 - 12:14 PM

That said, one of Kobe's problems is that he gets hacked at the end of the game, and never gets that call. That is a factor that hurts him that doesn't get recognition because it's not easily tracked.

Great point, so true.

#11 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts
  • Name:WILL.I.AM
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba

Posted April 23, 2009 - 12:30 PM

Agreed.

Not too much of a surprise but great find nonetheless Chicano :rock:

KOBE DA MONSTA
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 23, 2009 - 12:53 PM

agreed
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#13 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 23, 2009 - 01:26 PM

With the game on the line, refs not a factor and a must-score?

Kobe - makes ridiculous shots, has the total package to make it or get to the hole against entire teams, best footwork/jumper combo in the league, hands down

Melo - best footwork (otside of Kobe), good shooter, strong, great fundamentals, very aggressive and confident.

Wade - quick and strong and has an uncanny ability to get to the basket, despite glaring fundamental flaws in his game.

After that, they are pretty much not on the same level or in the same discussion.

#14 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,913 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted April 23, 2009 - 04:36 PM

Wade - quick and strong and has an uncanny ability to get to the basket, despite glaring fundamental flaws in his game.

That's because he's allowed to travel.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#15 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted April 23, 2009 - 05:22 PM

5.vince

List is pretty good. I'd say Vince is pretty clutch too (especially against the Raptors).

Hit the link, dude is ranking each playoff team's best clutch player from 16-1.

Do you agree with the exact order as well? I would just change/switch up Melo & Bron for sure. Melo is not a guy I would trust more in the clutch than LeBron and he's just NOT better than LeBron in the clutch. B-Roy, Wade, & Kobe though, that order's fine imo.

Melo is straight up clutch, very forgotten/underrated always. But in the playoffs I don't know....

That's because he's allowed to travel.

Don't forget how badly he palms/carries the ball

#16 Perfecto

Perfecto

Im'ma let you finish...

• 787 posts

Posted April 23, 2009 - 05:24 PM

Ray Allen has been pretty clutch this whole season.

Posted Image
"Pass me the damn ball, I don't need a pick at all."

#17 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted April 23, 2009 - 05:24 PM

I agree with LeBron down at 5th. He's not very clutch at all compared to Kobe. He makes stupid descisions and just generally chokes. He doesn't exactly know what the best thing is to do in a clutch situation. Maybe part of the problem is that he is too happy to take it to the hoop in key situations instead of taking a shot.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#18 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted April 23, 2009 - 05:26 PM

Europeans are NOT soft. In fact, they are harder than us when it comes to sex. America is full of wusses.

#19 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted April 23, 2009 - 05:27 PM

Europeans are NOT soft. In fact, they are harder than us when it comes to sex. America is full of wusses.

Dirk should just have sex with the opposing team every game then

#20 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,475 posts
  • Name:Andy

Posted April 23, 2009 - 05:29 PM

Agreed.

Mos Def! :rock:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users