23 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 21, 2009 - 01:08 PM

Matthew Harvey - AHN Sports Reporter

Badalona, Spain (AHN) - One of the best young Spanish talents, Ricky Rubio, may be making a trip across the Big Pond, after declaring himself for June's NBA draft.

Rubio, 18, has drawn comparisons to Pete Maravich in his ability to drive the lane and get an obscene amount of points on the board for his team.

Maravich was considered one of the finest college basketball players ever to play, still being the all-time leading NCAA Division I scorer with 3,667 points - an average of 44.2 every game.

The young Spanish player was a member of the National Olympics team last summer, and was the youngest basketball player to ever participate in an Olympic final.

He currently has a buyout clause with his team for six million euros (approximately $7.8 Million.)

This may pose a problem for any NBA team willing to draft him, as the NBA only allows a team to pay $500,000 to terminate a contract from another professional league.

His present team, Joventut, is unwilling to lower that price.

If drafted, he will be 19, the league's minimum age, by the start of next season.

In club competition, he has averaged 9.9 points and 5.7 assists per game.

Bad decision. He should wait 2 more years and hone his skills before coming in.

He's gonna be benched and his talent will be wasted away here, if he enters so early.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts
  • Fan Since:'97-'98
  • Fav. Laker:Sedale Threatt

Posted April 21, 2009 - 01:10 PM

Bad decision.

Edited by Junayd, April 21, 2009 - 01:10 PM.

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr
“i have more respect for a man that lets me know where he stands, even if he’s wrong.
than one who comes up like an angel but is nothing but a devil.”

#3 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,565 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted April 21, 2009 - 01:54 PM

Dude really needs to bulk up if hes gonna be going into the paint.

2hf753r.jpg

#4 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted April 21, 2009 - 04:11 PM

i think he also has 2 years remaining in his contract with his European team. He should play it out with them.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#5 S.Kobe.1080

S.Kobe.1080

Mark Ingram for Heisman

• 1,075 posts
  • Name:Justin
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Odom

Posted April 21, 2009 - 04:20 PM

He will probably play out his contract in Europe even if he is drafted.

Posted Image

#6 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted April 21, 2009 - 05:59 PM

It's not a bad decision if you're basically being guaranteed everywhere to be a top 3 pick. He'd be dumb not to. Even if he can still work on more parts of his game and improve, if you're gonna' be a top 3 pick for sure, you go. That is no dumb decision whatsoever, are you kidding me? Lol.

#7 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 21, 2009 - 06:11 PM

He's not ready. Two more years in Europe would do him well, giving him time to bulk up and improve on his skills.

#8 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted April 21, 2009 - 06:33 PM

I hope he goes to the NBA, spends 2-3 years on the bench because his Head Coach is too thick to spot his talent, and then returns to Europe :).
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#9 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted April 21, 2009 - 06:42 PM

He's not ready. Two more years in Europe would do him well, giving him time to bulk up and improve on his skills.

Say whatever you want but if you had the opportunity to be a top 3 pick for sure in the NBA, you go no matter what. That kind of opportunity/chance doesn't come along too often, if almost ever in life. Plus the draft this year is pretty weak overall so that obviously helps him tremendously.

Who's to say it'll be this weak a few years from now and what if it's way deeper and he's not guaranteed to be a high pick anymore because of all the talent? You know what I'm saying? Why take that chance?

#10 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 21, 2009 - 06:51 PM

Say whatever you want but if you had the opportunity to be a top 3 pick for sure in the NBA, you go no matter what. That kind of opportunity/chance doesn't come along too often, if almost ever in life. Plus the draft this year is pretty weak overall so that obviously helps him tremendously.

Who's to say it'll be this weak a few years from now and what if it's way deeper and he's not guaranteed to be a high pick anymore because of all the talent? You know what I'm saying? Why take that chance?

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but I don't think he's ready for the competition in the NBA yet, especially not with his skinny frame. If I were him though, I'd stay out, simply because I would do everything in my power to avoid being picked up by the Clippers :lol:

#11 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted April 21, 2009 - 06:54 PM

^ Haha yeah, but on the other hand, I'm sure he wouldn't mind just being in Los Angeles, the city itself, AND, being very close to Pau Gasol. Maybe he could force his way out and come with us if he becomes solid or great.

#12 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted April 21, 2009 - 11:40 PM

he's simply not ready...physically and mentally. He has plenty of time left in his career, he'd be much more prepared and mature when he enters at 20.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#13 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

TLN's Official Clipper Fan

• 785 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson!

Posted April 22, 2009 - 03:24 AM

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but I don't think he's ready for the competition in the NBA yet, especially not with his skinny frame. If I were him though, I'd stay out, simply because I would do everything in my power to avoid being picked up by the Clippers :lol:

Yeah, oh no, let's not do that. Because living in sunny LA, being flown everywhere in a private jet, making 2.6 million a year sounds AWFUL.

I would LOVE to go to a horrible team if I was a new player. That way- if the team starts to turn around, they can "blame" their newfound success on me.

DUH.
I'm a DIE HARD Clippers fan, and proud. I respect the Lakers and watch them every chance I get.

Respect me and I'll respect you. Don't respect me... we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

#14 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

TLN's Official Clipper Fan

• 785 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson!

Posted April 22, 2009 - 03:26 AM

And by the way I totally agree with Chicano. You gotta jump on the opportunity before it fades away. What if he stayed in Europe longer and got injured before earning an NBA contract? What if he played really bad that next year and his stock dropped? What if more players highlight next year's draft and his stock drops?

If you're a top 3 pick, you jump in no matter what. Because if you're being drafted that high, that means 2 things.

EITHER

You're good as hell and are NBA ready already

OR

You're going to be good as hell and will be NBA ready with a bit of help.

That's what training staffs and other people are there for, to help you develop. Just cause he's "not NBA ready" in your opinions doesn't mean he won't adjust to it soon.
I'm a DIE HARD Clippers fan, and proud. I respect the Lakers and watch them every chance I get.

Respect me and I'll respect you. Don't respect me... we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

#15 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,707 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 22, 2009 - 03:36 AM

He has to take an advantage of being a top 3 pick, if he waits and things don't go as planned, his draft pick could be lower.
Posted Image

#16 Raysoul

Raysoul

Rookie

• 30 posts
  • Fan Since:long time
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Shaq

Posted April 22, 2009 - 04:13 AM

i agree being a top 3 pick is something. kobe entered the league when he was 17 or something so why cant rubio. he might be really gifted :o

#17 lakerstefi

lakerstefi

Polakers

• 2,392 posts

Posted April 22, 2009 - 04:25 AM

I used to think that he had to wait 1 or 2 more years but now I think that if he's going to be a top3 he definitely should go to NBA next season. With the situation of his team right now he doesn't aspire to win any important titles in Europe unless he signed for another team. He can always work hard in developing a consistent shot just like Calderón has done.

#18 Raysoul

Raysoul

Rookie

• 30 posts
  • Fan Since:long time
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Shaq

Posted April 22, 2009 - 04:35 AM

i say if you get paid, then do it!

#19 Synergy

Synergy

The Only Suns Fan On TLN

• 1,027 posts

Posted April 22, 2009 - 04:47 AM

Can't wait to see where he goes.
Posted Image

#20 Kenrae

Kenrae

Metal Mutant

• 954 posts

Posted April 22, 2009 - 05:10 AM

- If you're going to be a top 3 you go to the NBA, as simple as that.

- Maybe he's not physically prepared to go to the NBA - something I disagree with. But I'm absolutely and completely sure he is mentally prepared. He's a pro since 14, playing in the second best league in the world, and has always shown a maturity far beyond his age.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users