2 replies to this topic

#1 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Horry, Van Exel

Posted April 14, 2009 - 11:38 PM

Attention loyal Lakers fans, we know it's not easy to win over the hearts of die hard Lakers fanatics like yourselves, but Shannon Brown has arrived and he is willing and ready to prove himself to you.
"I'm a cool dude. I'm very competitive and serious about this game. If you see me you can say 'Hi'. I'm approachable, sometimes I might not be smiling, but I'm a good guy," Brown said when asked what he wants Lakers fans to know about him.

Brown was born in Maywood, Illinois and attended Michigan State where he majored in Sociology. During his three seasons as a Spartan, Brown totaled 1,183 points, 329 rebounds, 188 assists and 124 steals.
On February 7, Brown was acquired by the Lakers from the Charlotte Bobcats along with Adam Morrison, in exchange for Vladimir Radmanovic.

As a new addition to the team, did Brown have to put up with any outlandish initiation to earn his welcome? "Everybody is cool; the most I had to do was put balls back in their racks. But this being my third year in, I'm pretty much acquainted with all the "rookie" stuff, but all the guys have been great," said Brown.

So Brown was welcomed by his fellow teammates, but how has he been handling his transition to the LA scene.

"LA lifestyle is cool. I really haven't been able to do too much since I've been here; we've been on the road a lot. The weather is not bad and it's definitely not cold, so I can't beat that at all," Brown said with a smile.

Growing up, we all have our own idea of what we aspire to become, so what did Brown imagine his career would be when he was a child? "Obviously, your parents try to program in your head that they want you to be doctors or lawyers, but in all actuality, that's not for everybody. And not everybody is going to be able to be a doctor or a lawyer, so I just prayed and prayed every night that God would help me get to the NBA and he came through for me," Brown explained.

"I get to play the game that I love every day. I play against some of the best in the world which obviously makes me a better player. All the traveling we do is amazing, we get to go to different cities and meet different people. Playing in the NBA is my dream job so everything about it is great," said Brown.

From being vocal on the bench, to hitting the court with purpose and a certain fire in his eyes this athletic guard is ready to support his team in any way he can. Still being relatively fresh to pro basketball at what moment did Brown realize that he had reached the big leagues?
"It had to be my rookie year when I wasn't playing much. That's when I realized that this is the real deal. From playing a whole lot to not playing at all was rough initially, but I'm still fighting, I'm still doing it," Brown explained.

In three words Shannon Brown describes himself as "very, very, competitive."

When asked how he prepares for each game he replied, "I try to get into a routine and to prepare mentally for our opponent and their players. And really, with this team, if I'm put in the game, I need to know what we are doing offensively and defensively," said Brown. "I just try and get in my zone. I try and stay loose; I don't want to be too tight. When I go out there, I want to be super relaxed, and just execute."
So, how does one "get in the zone" to perform in front of 19,000 screaming fans?

"I listen to music. To get to that zone I listen to mostly rap music, but I like mellow beats, real slow beats. I like to let my mind go and I might be listening to my music, but most of the time I won't even be listening to what they are saying, I'm just in my own world," Shannon explained.

Brown strives to prove himself in practice, on the court, and to everyone watching while contributing to helping the Lakers achieve their main goal: winning an NBA Championship. In most cases brown may not go nicely with purple and gold, but in this rare instance, it is the perfect blend.

I got this from the Lakers Insider in an e-mail; therefore, there is no link.

Bleeding purple & gold...

#2 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted April 14, 2009 - 11:55 PM

The last meeting between P&G and Brown didn't turn out so well...

#3 Noise Figure

Noise Figure

Rookie

• 130 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted April 15, 2009 - 12:05 AM

Nice article. Guy has a lot of potential. Let's hope he gets there with us.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users