• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 12, 2009 - 10:34 AM

Why is it that the Lakers don't seem to be able to focus their attention for a full 48 minutes against even the worst teams in the league? — Ron, Las Vegas, NV

What you say is absolutely true, and here are the reasons:

# The team lacks a killer instinct. Once they build a significant lead, everybody relaxes, gets selfish on offense and lackadaisical on defense.

# Kobe is one of the biggest culprits in this regard. He'll distribute the ball and execute the triangle for a while, and then he'll inevitably go into his one-man-band mode, forcing shots and leaving his man to track the ball and make unnecessary gambles on defense. Sometimes he can win games on his own recognizance. Sometimes the Lakers can reassert their mastery and win the game again. Sometimes they lose games they should easily have won. Remember Game 4 against Boston last June?

# When Kobe starts looking for his points, his teammates get frustrated and also start to force shots. Even Derek Fisher is often guilty of taking quick shots — knowing that if he passes to ostensibly initiate the offense, it's not likely that he'll get the ball back.

# With a big lead, Pau Gasol simply doesn't get enough touches.

# Although the return of Andrew Bynum has pushed Lamar Odom to the bench, the second unit is still not truly trustworthy.

# Luke Walton is supposed to be a facilitator who can make open shots, but he tends to over-handle and he perpetually wants to prove that (like his father?) he can score in the low post.

# Sasha Vujacic is a scatterbrain who believes that hounding his man (and sometimes fouling him) full-court constitutes aggressive defense. While he can put some pressure on the ball, his weak-side defense is shaky. Indeed, his poor decision making is likewise evident on offense. On the flip side, Vujacic can also contribute 3-pointers out of nowhere.

# The Lakers are finally convinced that Jordan Farmar can't make the grade. His screen-and-roll defense is horrid, and like Vujacic, he doesn't make appropriate decisions with the ball. Shannon Brown is — and will continue to be — a marked improvement.

# But it all comes down to the overall immaturity of the players. In truth, when the lights are switched on, only Gasol and Fisher conduct themselves like grownups. Which is not to say that the Lakers can't win the championship. If they do, they'll have a more difficult time of it than will be necessary. And if they don't, they'll only have themselves to blame.

http://msn.foxsports...-2008-09-season

Charley Rosen wrote this article. He and Phil think alike and they're close friends. So if you wanna know what Phil's thinking, read Rosen's articles

Edited by MDI, April 12, 2009 - 10:34 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 We Believe

We Believe

Sixth Man

• 2,805 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Fish.

Posted April 12, 2009 - 10:39 AM

Completely agree. When Kobe begans to force shots his teammates follow. They need to be in control and follow the game plan for the whole game and not for 1 or 2 quarters when they are down.

2010 NBA CHAMPIONS = LOS ANGELES LAKERS

#3 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted April 12, 2009 - 10:40 AM

Well written articles.

I 100% agree! Rosen is a basketball genius!

This is what I've been saying for a long time. When Kobe chucks, our offense suffers, and so does our defense due to their lack of involvement.

Edited by lakerfool, April 12, 2009 - 10:41 AM.

Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#4 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Horry, Van Exel

Posted April 12, 2009 - 10:42 AM

It's Charley Rosen...

'Nuff said.

Bleeding purple & gold...

#5 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted April 12, 2009 - 10:45 AM

It's Charley Rosen...

'Nuff said.

I think he's the best basketball analyst out there. He hands out credit and criticism when it's deserved. He's very good at elaborating the little things that go unnoticed in games. (setting screens, boxing out, player movement, touches, energy, etc etc etc) that are important to winning.

And like i said in my OP, he writes what Phil's thinking.

Edited by MDI, April 12, 2009 - 10:49 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#6 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted April 12, 2009 - 10:53 AM

Well written articles.

This is what I've been saying for a long time. When Kobe chucks, our offense suffers, and so does our defense due to their lack of involvement.

He also said earlier in the year, Bynum belongs in the D-league :lol:

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#7 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb

Posted April 12, 2009 - 10:54 AM

One game and here they come...

Though for that one, specific game, I agree.

#8 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts
  • Fan Since:'97-'98
  • Fav. Laker:Sedale Threatt

Posted April 12, 2009 - 10:56 AM

Amen..the team looks lost out there

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr
“i have more respect for a man that lets me know where he stands, even if he’s wrong.
than one who comes up like an angel but is nothing but a devil.”

#9 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted April 12, 2009 - 10:56 AM

I agree with Rosen for the most part save for his comment about Game 4. That was a monumental collapse that shouldn't be pinned on Kobe, the whole team screwed up. Hopefully we can right many of our wrongs by the time the playoffs start.

#10 A_V_R

A_V_R

A firm disbeliever in your punch clock promise

• 394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted April 12, 2009 - 10:59 AM

True story. I was thinking about this a few weeks ago. The team takes on the character of the best player.

But Kobe does take the post season much more seriously.

#11 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted April 12, 2009 - 11:06 AM

I agree to an extent.

#12 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,129 posts

Posted April 12, 2009 - 11:06 AM

the truth is kobe actually believes when they get a lead he should jump in and try to single handedly close out the game when in truth he should do what he does and then pass it down low to gasol and drew to close out the game

having said that this business that grown men have trouble playing hard when kobe or gasol are scoring all the points is ridiculous and just flat-out stupid. if you are not kobe, gasol, bynum, or odom you should expect nights in which you will get 8 shots or 2 shots and you should play defense and move without the ball regardless

this isn't little league where everyone is PG this is the NBA with stars and role players

if the role players on this team truly feel that way then they need to go because in the 3-peat days our role players all played defense regardless of how many shots kobe and shaq were taking
Posted Image

#13 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,129 posts

Posted April 12, 2009 - 11:09 AM

Well written articles.

how did i know you would love this article

this guy is a troll who as Real Deal pointed posts actually increase significantly when kobe has a bad game
Posted Image

#14 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted April 12, 2009 - 11:15 AM

how did i know you would love this article

this guy is a troll who as Real Deal pointed posts actually increase significantly when kobe has a bad game

You guys keep laughing at my arguments that his chucking disrupts team chemistry.

Here we have one of the best sports journalists in America agreeing with everything I say. This is a man who once coached with Phil Jackson. He has experience and great analytical skills.

He doesn't let his bias for a player get involved with his analysis.

Edited by lakerfool, April 12, 2009 - 11:16 AM.

Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#15 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted April 12, 2009 - 11:21 AM

Much if not all what he says is true. The lakers would solve much of it if they run the offense through Pau and even Bynum (inside out). Kobe needs to play off the ball and both player and ball movement will increase. Pau is really kobe's pippen. If he would relinquish handling the ball so much, the lakers would be more effective and he would shoot over 50%.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

#16 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,129 posts

Posted April 12, 2009 - 11:23 AM

You guys keep laughing at my arguments that his chucking disrupts team chemistry.

Here we have one of the best sports journalists in America agreeing with everything I say. This is a man who once coached with Phil Jackson. He has experience and great analytical skills.

i never said when kobe shoots too much it doesn't disrupt chemistry

i said it is an issue that it does. when MJ threw up 30+ shots his teammates still played defense and still moved without the basketball

so what you are saying is kobes supporting cast are a bunch of weak minded babies
Posted Image

#17 JD

JD

Just an Old Relic

• 967 posts
  • Location:Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted April 12, 2009 - 11:28 AM

http://msn.foxsports...-2008-09-season

Charley Rosen wrote this article. He and Phil think alike and they're close friends. So if you wanna know what Phil's thinking, read Rosen's articles

Actually, you would be wrong. Rosen and Jackson haven't been close for years. Basically, a huge wedge was driven between them, as the Snaq/Kobe years were winding down. Rosen was printing stuff, not meant for public consumption.

So... no. These words are Rosen's... not Phil's.

zombies.jpg

#18 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,129 posts

Posted April 12, 2009 - 11:29 AM

Much if not all what he says is true. The lakers would solve much of it if they run the offense through Pau and even Bynum (inside out). Kobe needs to play off the ball and both player and ball movement will increase. Pau is really kobe's pippen. If he would relinquish handling the ball so much, the lakers would be more effective and he would shoot over 50%.

thats a good post but i would argue pau and bynum together are more kobes pippen just because pippen played both offense and defense at an elite level

now i have always felt much like MJ kobe could be great off the ball as well as on it but with the talent on this team kobe would be more effective off of cuts and post ups and some backside screens for jumpers while pau and bynum take the ball and distribute it throughout the team

the only issue is kobe also has MJs mentality which is well a killer while the supporting cast isn't like MJs in that they wont still play even when kobe is attempting to or actually killing the other team. they mope and cry and stop playing

pippen had the advantage of taking the ball up the floor so he could freeze out MJ i remember sometimes when MJ would call for the ball and pippen would turn away and drive in and create. but we don't have that we have 2 post players and phil should pull kobe aside and tell him he could be even more effective off the ball as on it because i think he doesn't feel he can be when statistics show his shooting percentage actually increases for his career off the ball
Posted Image

#19 JD

JD

Just an Old Relic

• 967 posts
  • Location:Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted April 12, 2009 - 11:32 AM

One of the best sports journalists in America... because he agrees with you? That's what is basically boils down to.

And yet, he was oftentimes ridiculed and called-out by his peers, because he wasn't anything more than Phil's butt-plug. He built his career on having access, where others didn't... not because of his "great analytical skills".

He's biased, just as you are.

zombies.jpg

#20 LAL024

LAL024

Rookie

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Magic and Kobe

Posted April 12, 2009 - 11:52 AM

It's true, Kobe has a habit of losing his guy on cuts to the basket or leave them wide open for a three because he plays defense on spurts. When Kobe decides to play defense, he's one of the best. But when he tries to conserve energy by completely dieing on picks or just roaming around the perimeter, then it just create defensive collapses for the team.

One thing that really kills me is when the Lakers tries to funnel an opponent guard to the baseline with Pau protecting the paint. How many times have we seen these guards just score easily with layups and short jumpers after being forced baseline? Why can't they just play them honestly and level them off? :angry:

As for Kobe distributing the ball, he's done a great job lately. But what Rosen points out is true. Kobe can become really agressive and starts chucking the ball out nowhere once they get a big lead. I think it would be much easier for KB's body to score out of the triangle because he doesn't need to exert as much energy.

Edited by LAL024, April 12, 2009 - 12:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users