Sources: Saunders talking to Wizards

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lakerstefi

lakerstefi

Polakers

• 2,392 posts

Posted April 12, 2009 - 08:28 AM

Flip Saunders appears to be at the top of the Washington Wizards' coaching wish list, according to league sources.

While no deal has been struck, one source said the two sides have had preliminary discussions.

Approaching Saunders makes it clear that the Wizards do not plan to remove the interim tag on Ed Tapscott, their director of player development who coached the team for most of the season. Tapscott replaced the incumbent, Eddie Jordan, three weeks into this season after an injury-plagued 1-10 start.

Jordan, 54, helped the Wizards reach the playoffs in four of his five full seasons as coach but made it out of the first round only once.

Both Saunders and Jordan are expected to be part of this offseason coaching carousel. Jordan, several league sources say, is now a candidate to succeed Sacramento Kings interim coach Kenny Natt, who stepped in for Reggie Theus on Dec. 16 after a 6-18 start. Coincidentally, both Jordan and Theus were fired this season after disappointing losses to the New York Knicks.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4062098

#2 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,488 posts

Posted April 12, 2009 - 12:00 PM

that would be about the best hire they could possibly make if they hire him with the top 5 draft choice a healthy arenas and butler jaimison returning and nick young emerging along with blatche i'm calling it wizards will be top 3 in the east next season behind orlando and boston
Posted Image

#3 Louizzle

Louizzle

L.A. All Day

• 945 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Derek Fisher

Posted April 12, 2009 - 01:07 PM

They could use him.

Made By Vaporize

#4 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 12, 2009 - 06:32 PM

News out in DC today reported that it's already a done deal, and that Saunders will be hired after the season is officially over.

#5 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,488 posts

Posted April 12, 2009 - 06:49 PM

News out in DC today reported that it's already a done deal, and that Saunders will be hired after the season is officially over.

great hire
Posted Image

#6 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts

Posted April 12, 2009 - 07:10 PM

great hire

I'm not sure about it.

Washington needs defense. They have been in the bottom 10 of the league, defensively, since 2003...and the bottom half of the league since 1997 or 1998.

That's why Gilbert has not won more than 45 games in his career, and the only reason Jamison has done so is because he was in Dallas for a season. If I remember right, Caron hasn't either.

Those three players, especially Jamison, are ghosts on defense. They need someone that will force them to put more effort into it, or they will fall to the likes of Cleveland, Boston, Orlando and Miami at every corner they turn in the playoffs.

#7 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,488 posts

Posted April 12, 2009 - 07:53 PM

I'm not sure about it.

Washington needs defense. They have been in the bottom 10 of the league, defensively, since 2003...and the bottom half of the league since 1997 or 1998.

That's why Gilbert has not won more than 45 games in his career, and the only reason Jamison has done so is because he was in Dallas for a season. If I remember right, Caron hasn't either.

Those three players, especially Jamison, are ghosts on defense. They need someone that will force them to put more effort into it, or they will fall to the likes of Cleveland, Boston, Orlando and Miami at every corner they turn in the playoffs.

well because of their personel i think its a good hire because flip has alwways had great offensive teams so do whatt the players are best at and make that your strength

they draft hasheem thabeet they will play good enough defense
Posted Image

#8 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts

Posted April 12, 2009 - 07:56 PM

well because of their personel i think its a good hire because flip has alwways had great offensive teams so do whatt the players are best at and make that your strength

they draft hasheem thabeet they will play good enough defense

Why would they need Thabeet if they have Haywood? Washington needs to go right after Griffin and stick with offense, if they are indeed getting Flip. Put Jamison at the three, Butler at the two and start Arenas, bring Stevenson off the bench as a sixth man, and develop McGee and Young in that second unit.

#9 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,488 posts

Posted April 12, 2009 - 08:23 PM

Why would they need Thabeet if they have Haywood? Washington needs to go right after Griffin and stick with offense, if they are indeed getting Flip. Put Jamison at the three, Butler at the two and start Arenas, bring Stevenson off the bench as a sixth man, and develop McGee and Young in that second unit.

i think thabeet allows them to play worse defense with an anchor while haywood is really just a rebounder. also a SG would help like james harden maybe a PG and they can put arenas at SG they have a playoff caliber team with a top 5 pick so i would think they are in a good position
Posted Image

#10 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted April 13, 2009 - 02:16 PM

Coaches can only do so much, as good as they are. They need players right now more than they need a new good coach.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users