Grizzlies Relieved Amare Trade Was Not Made

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lakerstefi

lakerstefi

Polakers

• 2,392 posts

Posted April 11, 2009 - 08:45 AM

As the trade deadline approached one of the scenarios involving Suns' star forward Amare Stoudemire was the All-Star to Memphis for a first-round draft pick, Rudy Gay and Mike Conley.

According to the Arizona Republic, one person who is glad the trade did not go through is Memphis coach Lionel Hollins.

"You can make a trade like that and it looks good on the surface but we're not a winning team," said Hollins.

"You're trading your nucleus for one player who's probably not going to take you over the hump. I love Amare Stoudemire as a player but he's not Shaq (Shaquille O'Neal) when Shaq was in his prime. He's not LeBron James. He's not Kobe Bryant. Even those guys need players around them.

"If we trade a huge core of our nucleus and a first-round pick, Amaré is sitting here by himself unhappy, and we're still a losing team. So what benefit did a trade make? It would have helped Phoenix."

http://www.azcentral...unshollins.html

#2 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 15,462 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 11, 2009 - 11:11 AM

Wow that coach is smart. haha.

85146fdf-2f3a-45b0-8e85-9715e75efc22_zps

#3 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts
  • Fan Since:'97-'98
  • Fav. Laker:Sedale Threatt

Posted April 11, 2009 - 11:45 AM

At least one coach in the league has a brain.

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr
“i have more respect for a man that lets me know where he stands, even if he’s wrong.
than one who comes up like an angel but is nothing but a devil.”

#4 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 4,420 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted April 11, 2009 - 01:17 PM

Depends on which pick it was. If it's not this year's pick, I probably pull the trigger on that deal.

Whether you like him or not, Amare is a legitimate big man in this league who can do some damage in the post-season when healthy. They'd be sitting on Gasol-Amare-Mayo-top 5 pick. You can easily replace Gay w/ a player coming out of this draft class. It's wing-stacked.

Outside of Griffin (who Memphis won't get), you're not going to find another Amare-esque type impact player in this draft. Probably just me, but I like a team led by Amare (who's been in the post-season several times and knows what it takes to get back) and a youthful core consisting of Gasol, Mayo and someone like DeRozan or even Jennings (Jennings-Mayo-SF-Amare-Gasol, that's crazy).

yo.

#5 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted April 11, 2009 - 02:08 PM

I disagree with him. They had Lowry at one point. I don't see Conley being that much better.

Rudy Gay is a dime a dozen athletic SF. I mean, the league is so saturated with athletic SF's it's not even funny. You have a chance to get a 20/10 big man, you do it.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#6 mr intensity

mr intensity

Rookie

• 31 posts
  • Fan Since:a lonngg time

Posted April 11, 2009 - 04:51 PM

of course he cant be lebron or kobe <_<

#7 Domo

Domo

Based

• 995 posts

Posted April 11, 2009 - 06:53 PM

An Amare/Mayo duo could've been pretty nasty.

#8 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted April 11, 2009 - 08:22 PM

I would be relieved too.
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users