19 replies to this topic

#1 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Horry, Van Exel

Posted April 10, 2009 - 09:18 AM

After his injury, the Lakers ripped off 11 wins in their next 12 games, including victories at Boston and Cleveland — the Cavaliers' only home loss this season.

"They're a top-two or -three team with Bynum," Karl said. "Can they get to the top of the mountain playing two 7-footers? You have to remember, there haven't been a lot of teams in the last 10 years that have played two 7-footers. The game has actually gone away from the big guy, away from the paint, power game."

Of course, nobody asked Karl if he'd like to try.

What was most encouraging about Bynum's return wasn't how he played, but how two others did — Gasol and Lamar Odom. Gasol took advantage of gaps in the defense, some of which were created by Bynum's presence, to grab 11 offensive rebounds.

Meanwhile, Odom — like it or not — returned to the sixth-man role. It may not be a coincidence that as Odom moved into the starting lineup when Bynum was hurt, the Lakers bench, which played so energetically earlier in the season, floundered.

So, it did not go unnoticed when Odom entered the game midway through the first quarter and immediately blocked a shot at one end and hit a 3-pointer at the other.

http://msn.foxsports...39;-title-hopes

Bleeding purple & gold...

#2 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 10, 2009 - 10:42 AM

Not so sure Bynum is the key to Lakers hopes. Will they or could they win it without him? Maybe, maybe not. Probably not. To me, the key is ALL the Lakers stay healthy. This is not a slap at Drew. My point is this. Think of it this way. What if Drew wasn't hurt last year and when PP went down against Lakers in his faking wheelchair act. What if he had really been hurt seriously and was out of the series. My point is with all the Lakers healthy including Drew and PP out does anyone think LA would have lost to Boston? So, my point is this year LA has all its players on board right now and while BSPN loves to ask what if Bynum can't come back, but what if their beloved Garnett can't come back. Boston probably isn't winning the title with KG, but I am 100 percent sure they aren't winning it without him. I just want for once all the Lakers on board and healthy and see how it turns out. It is very, very nice to have Drew back.

Edited by Pau16Kobe24Drew17, April 10, 2009 - 10:43 AM.

#3 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 10, 2009 - 10:44 AM

I think the bench is more of the key to their title hopes.

#4 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts

Posted April 10, 2009 - 10:48 AM

I think the bench is more of the key to their title hopes.

Wouldn't disagree. Goes back in part to what I said too. Get everyone healthy and having Odom coming in with second unit really makes that bench better. Plus, Brown may be able to add some help too off the bench. Powell is still available too. I like LA's chances this year.

#5 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted April 10, 2009 - 11:21 AM

Not so sure Bynum is the key to Lakers hopes. Will they or could they win it without him? Maybe, maybe not. Probably not. To me, the key is ALL the Lakers stay healthy. This is not a slap at Drew. My point is this. Think of it this way. What if Drew wasn't hurt last year and when PP went down against Lakers in his faking wheelchair act. What if he had really been hurt seriously and was out of the series. My point is with all the Lakers healthy including Drew and PP out does anyone think LA would have lost to Boston? So, my point is this year LA has all its players on board right now and while BSPN loves to ask what if Bynum can't come back, but what if their beloved Garnett can't come back. Boston probably isn't winning the title with KG, but I am 100 percent sure they aren't winning it without him. I just want for once all the Lakers on board and healthy and see how it turns out. It is very, very nice to have Drew back.

You've got a lot of points my friend, but they're some good ones, props.

#6 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts

Posted April 10, 2009 - 12:51 PM

You've got a lot of points my friend, but they're some good ones, props.

Dang I did put the point in there several times didn't I? Didn't notice it. Oh well, I guess everyone got the point. :lol:

#7 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted April 10, 2009 - 02:57 PM

I'm calling it, Bynum destroys Big Z and Wallace, averaging 25/13/2bpg, and wins finales MVP.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#8 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted April 10, 2009 - 02:59 PM

Kobe and Bynum share MVP trophy :) lol
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#9 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,386 posts

Posted April 10, 2009 - 03:07 PM

Health is the biggest factor with the Lakers title hopes. People love to bring up Bynum's absence last season, but there was another player that really hurt the Lakers. I'm talking about Trevor Ariza. He was not at full strength last season. He averaged about 6 minutes in the playoffs and when he was in there, wasn't effective due to his foot injury. The Lakers this year are adding BIG pieces of Bynum and Ariza to the playoff picture. They weren't able to contribute last season, but you know they will be ready this year.

#10 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted April 10, 2009 - 03:12 PM

Kobe slays King James and with Gasol & AB on his side leads Lakers to a 15th championship and his 4th ring

#11 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 10, 2009 - 03:45 PM

I'm calling it, Bynum destroys Big Z and Wallace, averaging 25/13/2bpg, and wins finales MVP.

And in other news...Hell-Fire has ceased to exist...Hell is now a Ski-Resort.

#12 Domo

Domo

Based

• 998 posts

Posted April 10, 2009 - 06:53 PM

Kobe slays King James and with Gasol & AB on his side leads Lakers to a 15th championship and his 4th ring

#13 GP1_KB24

GP1_KB24

Dedication 4.

• 20,198 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Dwight.

Posted April 10, 2009 - 06:54 PM

We can't put everything on him so fast though.

5 Letters... 'YMCMB'

Posted Image

#14 LAKERSDABEAST

LAKERSDABEAST

Rookie

• 121 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:# 17 ANDREW BYNUM

Posted April 10, 2009 - 09:15 PM

Who can argue, he's everything Gasol is not. Once he gets to 100% game shape that's when the Lakers will start to roll.

#15 GP1_KB24

GP1_KB24

Dedication 4.

• 20,198 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Dwight.

Posted April 10, 2009 - 09:29 PM

Who can argue, he's everything Gasol is not. Once he gets to 100% game shape that's when the Lakers will start to roll.

I agree. Watching the game tonight there were a number of times Gasol would give up on D or wouldn't get a tough rebound because he doesn't have a pair.

Bynum was tough and helped us a lot.

5 Letters... 'YMCMB'

Posted Image

#16 mr intensity

mr intensity

Rookie

• 31 posts
  • Fan Since:a lonngg time

Posted April 11, 2009 - 04:44 PM

bynum is our key

#17 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts

Posted April 11, 2009 - 07:18 PM

I agree. Watching the game tonight there were a number of times Gasol would give up on D or wouldn't get a tough rebound because he doesn't have a pair.

Bynum was tough and helped us a lot.

Yeah those 27 points 19 rebounds was a terrible game for Gasol. Bynum is everything Gasol isn't? Some of you don't have a clue. Gasol is one of the best players in the NBA and was on the all-star game this year. People keep saying LA wouldn't win a title without Bynum, well they wouldn't win it without Gasol either. This team needs all the players hitting on all cylinders to win it all this year. Yeah Bynum is the key. Let's just kick Kobe to the curb while we are at it. Hell, Bynum can play all five positions and coach the team.

Edited by Pau16Kobe24Drew17, April 11, 2009 - 07:22 PM.

#18 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,129 posts

Posted April 11, 2009 - 07:33 PM

^^^ the truth is gasol is a great PF and a good C but with bynum in the line-up the statistics show that both his rebounding and his FG% both go up with bynum on the floor while bynum essentially has no difference with odom or gasol on the floor

meaning bynum is more important to gasol than gasol is to bynum
Posted Image

#19 Franchise

Franchise

Rookie

• 322 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:2005
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 11, 2009 - 08:42 PM

Bynum plays hard defence and will do more so as he gets better from his injury. pau got killed by oden lsat night he is essentially a scrub.

#20 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted April 11, 2009 - 09:05 PM

Ya, Bynum is the key because this Kobe Bryant dude blows.

:shifty:
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users