• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 ogarte24

ogarte24

Rookie

• 113 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 18, 2008 - 11:13 AM

I have a friend who told me, Tim Duncan is a great player so as Kobe. But if you look at Tim, he doesn't draw that much detractors as Kobe does in forums, personal talks, and critiques. Suddenly, he sulked and murmured, "the guy is arrogant." That's why a lot of people hate on him.

Guys, what's your take about this mean perception of Kobe being a "cocky" sports icon?

#2 King Joseph

King Joseph

Rookie

• 153 posts
  • Name:Jonas Joseph
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Lamar Odom

Posted August 18, 2008 - 11:21 AM

I DONT THINK HES AROGANT I THNK HES CONFIDENT ITS DIFFERENCE, KOBE SHOWS HEART HE HATES TO LOSE SO WHEN HE WINS HE DOSE HIS PROPS LIKE SHOTT EM UP THE PLANE THING N THAT TRULEY KOBE IS AN ICON PPL IN AMERICA HATE SO MUCH ON HIM THAT WHEN HE RETIREDS PPL R GONNA CRY CUZ INSTEAD OF WHATCHIN GTREATNESS THEY JUS LOOK AWAY, OVERSEAS THEY C KOBE AS A GOD CUZ THEY APREECIATE HIM WHILE ESPN AND EVERYBODY IS WAITING FOR KOBE TO MUESS UP THTS Y THEYCOMPARE KOBE TO MJ R THEY CLOSE ON TALENT HELL YES BUT WHEN IT COMES TO POPULARITY N ACHIVMENTS(AWARDS RINGS ECT) THTS Y KOBE MY NEVER BE BETTER THEN MJ, BUT WHEN IT CAME TO BEING HIMSELF GIVE HIM AN A+++++,NOW IS KOBE COCKY SHURE, BUT IS A GOOD THING HELL YES
Terry "Mother[expletive]ing" Kennedy: "Skateboarder Pro"

Posted Image

#3 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,755 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 18, 2008 - 11:22 AM

I have a friend who told me, Tim Duncan is a great player so as Kobe. But if you look at Tim, he doesn't draw that much detractors as Kobe does in forums, personal talks, and critiques. Suddenly, he sulked and murmured, "the guy is arrogant." That's why a lot of people hate on him.

Guys, what's your take about this mean perception of Kobe being a "cocky" sports icon?

I would say that Kobe has extreme confidence in himself, but not to the point where he goes around like Paul Pierce spouting on about how great he is. Great players in any sport let their game do the talking for them, Kobe does just the same.

Kobe's had a target on him ever since he entered the league. The media went on saying he was "Heir Jordan" and comparing him to one of the greatest players ever to play the game. People who fell in love with MJ couldn't stand Kobe having the potential to reach the same tier as their idol. Not only that, but people just hate Kobe because of how dominanat a player he is. The same type of situation happened with Wilt Chamberlain when he was a player. Instead of people marveling at how great a player he was, they'd see him as a target or obstacle to be beaten.

I seriously don't understand why people consider Kobe so arrogant. He hasn't done anything to warrant such criticism. Sure, he may trash talk during a game at times, but that's only natural when your competitive juices are flowing. I don't think he's arrogant in the least, but I do think that people hate too much on Kobe :rock:

#4 Goozer

Goozer

Rookie

• 137 posts

Posted August 18, 2008 - 11:22 AM

I DONT THINK HES AROGANT I THNK HES CONFIDENT ITS DIFFERENCE, KOBE SHOWS HEART HE HATES TO LOSE SO WHEN HE WINS HE DOSE HIS PROPS LIKE SHOTT EM UP THE PLANE THING N THAT TRULEY KOBE IS AN ICON PPL IN AMERICA HATE SO MUCH ON HIM THAT WHEN HE RETIREDS PPL R GONNA CRY CUZ INSTEAD OF WHATCHIN GTREATNESS THEY JUS LOOK AWAY, OVERSEAS THEY C KOBE AS A GOD CUZ THEY APREECIATE HIM WHILE ESPN AND EVERYBODY IS WAITING FOR KOBE TO MUESS UP THTS Y THEYCOMPARE KOBE TO MJ R THEY CLOSE ON TALENT HELL YES BUT WHEN IT COMES TO POPULARITY N ACHIVMENTS(AWARDS RINGS ECT) THTS Y KOBE MY NEVER BE BETTER THEN MJ, BUT WHEN IT CAME TO BEING HIMSELF GIVE HIM AN A+++++,NOW IS KOBE COCKY SHURE, BUT IS A GOOD THING HELL YES

ow my head

#5 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,755 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted August 18, 2008 - 11:23 AM

Dude, turn off the Caps Lock, it's hard on the eyes and gives the impression of screaming on a public forum.

#6 Goozer

Goozer

Rookie

• 137 posts

Posted August 18, 2008 - 11:26 AM

Dude, turn off the Caps Lock, it's hard on the eyes and gives the impression of screaming on a public forum.

well his screen name IS "madvillian" :rock:

#7 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts

Posted August 18, 2008 - 11:28 AM

yes and thats why he's been the best player in the game for the past half a decade

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#8 Angela1986

Angela1986

Off The Bench

• 1,584 posts

Posted August 18, 2008 - 12:22 PM

I think he has a big ego but I don't see the problem with it and people didn't have a problem with it when it came to MJ. It's all about how the media paints you.

#9 KGB

KGB

To be the greatest

• 202 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted August 18, 2008 - 12:30 PM

LOL....I love when people call it screaming :lol:

#10 JD

JD

Just an Old Relic

• 967 posts
  • Location:Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted August 18, 2008 - 12:57 PM

Kobe got a lot more love, before the local Eagle, Colorado (white) slut decided she wanted a pay raise.

zombies.jpg

#11 Lakers818

Lakers818

Its killa california

• 1,811 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted August 18, 2008 - 01:06 PM

dont matter if he is or isnt but in sports and music sometimes you have to be cocky to succeed.
Posted Image

#12 gcclaker

gcclaker

I Bleed Purple And Gold!

• 750 posts
  • Fan Since:The Glory Days of Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Michael Cooper DPOY 1987

Posted August 18, 2008 - 01:16 PM

Part of being supremely talented is confidence or "cocky" in layman's terms. Its what separates the great ones from the merely very good.
Five guys on the court working together can achieve more than five talented individuals who come and go as individuals.
-Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

#13 KGB

KGB

To be the greatest

• 202 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted August 18, 2008 - 01:48 PM

Nothing wrong with cockiness. Arrogance is when you start judging people's characters w/out any good evidence. If kobe thinks he's better than lebron then by all means scream it to the world.

#14 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted August 18, 2008 - 02:18 PM

I think Kobe is just very confident in himself but not exactly arrogant. He's pretty cocky, but he can back up what he says. Like someone said before, he's not proclaiming himself as the best player in the world.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#15 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 18, 2008 - 03:26 PM

It's funny how you always hear about Kobe being arrogant and cocky but how often do you hear him praising himself? B/c the dood plays with complete confidence it means he's arrogant. :) Yet you have LeBron for example, with "Chosen 1" on his back and he's "humble". We hear AI and Pierce saying they're the best player in the world, but nah, let's focus on Kobe.

#16 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,581 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 18, 2008 - 03:39 PM

I don't see Kobe arrogant. But people hate because they are jealous, that's a bad human reaction.
They wouldn't mind having him in their team, I can tell you that...
Posted Image

#17 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted August 18, 2008 - 04:28 PM

I consider brokering pseudo-deals to Europe through the media in the midst of Olympic competition a tad arrogant.

I just think the way he uses the media (ie. last summer) can come off as arrogant. You all disagree, of course. Just stating my opinion.

#18 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted August 18, 2008 - 09:30 PM

This stems from hate again...screw that.

#19 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted August 19, 2008 - 12:07 AM

All top players not named Tim Duncan are arrogant.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#20 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted August 19, 2008 - 04:12 AM

Part of being supremely talented is confidence or "cocky" in layman's terms. Its what separates the great ones from the merely very good.

Agreed. Kobe is cocky, but the greats gotta be. 2 of the cockiest athletes ever were Michael Jordan and Muhammad Ali.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users