Reason to be concerned?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 30, 2009 - 07:14 AM

Does anyone else feel that the Lakers may have the best record in the west, but come playoff time their gonna be vulnerable in the parts of the game thats wins championships.

They cant gaurd the perimeter. They are inable to. Last night the Hawks more than over exposed LA's weakness in the defensive scheme. Its more like they built a giant neon-vegas strip style sign, placed it at mid court to advertise the fact to the rest of the league.

I'm hearing so much "when Drew comes back" talk as of late. Like its a last resort to grasp a winning effort this year. I hope if Drew comes back he can allow the gaurds to play out more. But what it seems now is the Lakers are relying on a player whos missed half the season to carry them to the title. Thats diss-hearting at the very best, failure at the very worst.

What the heck went wrong. I saw the game yesterday. And no, I'm not a panic type fan who changes opinion every time we have a bad game, then two days later play well. I support the Lakers no matter what. But yesterday what I saw lacking in their game was heart. They had non. They came back before halftime to be down by 1, then they came out in the third quarter and looked like they all had the flu or something. Nobody played D. Everybody but Pau took ill advised shots. It was like nobody cared. And they should have to stay in the Home Court throughout hunt.

I think there is a legitimate reason for Laker fans to be concerned. And I am.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#2 KB24

KB24

Off The Bench

• 2,583 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Fan Since:It's in my blood
  • Fav. Laker:Magic and Kobe

Posted March 30, 2009 - 07:23 AM

Phil says he has a secret that he says he's not telling until the Playoffs. Hopefully it has something to with our lackluster defense.
1985 Lakers Championship ring. LA 4 BOS 2.
http://i41.tinypic.com/5v7qdj.jpg

#3 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,737 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 30, 2009 - 07:25 AM

No, we´re used to open topics like this one after a bad Lakers loss.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#4 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted March 30, 2009 - 07:31 AM

Phil says he has a secret that he says he's not telling until the Playoffs. Hopefully it has something to with our lackluster defense.

Seriously? I want to see that in text because at least I can go to sleep with piece of mind. I hope this secret is for real but in any case- why wouldn't you use it now? I think this is a very valid time for Laker fans to worry.

#5 KB24

KB24

Off The Bench

• 2,583 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Fan Since:It's in my blood
  • Fav. Laker:Magic and Kobe

Posted March 30, 2009 - 08:24 AM

Seriously? I want to see that in text because at least I can go to sleep with piece of mind. I hope this secret is for real but in any case- why wouldn't you use it now? I think this is a very valid time for Laker fans to worry.

Yeah he said somewhere that he's got something up his sleeve. I'm not sure what it is, but whatever it is it must be big. I don't see him waiting until the Playoffs just to say he's bringing Sun Yue out of the D-League. I just hope it's something to do with our D.
1985 Lakers Championship ring. LA 4 BOS 2.
http://i41.tinypic.com/5v7qdj.jpg

#6 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,597 posts
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.

Posted March 30, 2009 - 09:05 AM

Man that makes me feel more reluctant in my efforts of hope.... :unsure:

If Phil really said that, then I think he allready knows hes bluffing. This aint poker PJ you cant hold the cards till the other teams give up and fold. They go at you and keep going at you untill your done.
He never said that kinda bluff with the Bulls or during the lakers 3 in a row.
Thats some line from a really bad war movie in the 1950's.....
"I havnt used our secret weapon yet".....pffftt.... wasnt that a line making fun of other people who actually said that in Austin Powers or something?

whats a secret weapon in basketball anyway?, the weapon to attempt playing D at all.
We better pray the real secret weapon is that Stern & the refs have agreed to move back the 3 point line about 5 feet....and only for Laker opponents in the playoffs.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#7 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 09:07 AM

haha Phil got nothin up his sleeve..what you see is what you get. He's extremely conservative and stubborn to make changes. We're not gonna see anything new

maybe a Gasol/Odom/Bynum lineup to put Ariza back with the bench but other than that I don't see Phil trying anything new

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#8 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,376 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted March 30, 2009 - 09:13 AM

Drew returning ?

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Soul Smooth

#9 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 09:16 AM

Drew returning ?

The secret is Sun Yue. Guy will average 20 points 15 assists in the playoffs. No one will even see it coming.

#10 hype

hype

says hi!

• 3,739 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 09:18 AM

Are you saying we have good perimeter defense and that we play like we care?

#11 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted March 30, 2009 - 09:20 AM

I'm not worried, when Lakers usually lose a game, a bad one they usually come back with solid play to beat the other teams and go on a 4-6 game winning streak.

#12 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,616 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted March 30, 2009 - 09:22 AM

We should be playing our best ball of the season. Kobe ain't playing well and it seems as if the team is feeding off that.

2hf753r.jpg

#13 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 09:29 AM

We should be playing our best ball of the season. Kobe ain't playing well and it seems as if the team is feeding off that.

People seem to take Kobe for granted. This is the guy who is playing with a finger in which he should have surgery. He is playing with a sprained ankle now. He played with a stomach that was messed up due to his medicine.

All that and he is still the best player in the game. I don't care about Lebron and what he does. I care about the Lakers and Kobe Bryant. This man has given so much to the fans and sacrificed his body to WIN.

It was one loss on this road trip. There is a reason why NO TEAM has ever went 7-0 on a road trip. Its difficult. We will have our nights off during the season. I do not expect that to happen during the playoffs.

We are the #1 team in the west. Many of you can worry about the Cavs's, but I will sit back and watch the Magic, Cavs, and Celtics all beat up on each other. Watch out for the Hawks too, they will be tough to beat in the playoffs, I would not be suprised to see the Hawks beat the Celtics or Cavs.

#14 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,597 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 09:35 AM

this is true, good post mayne. If Phil would have said this then it would have sounded even better. But instead he breaks out "the secret weapon" comment...lol

People seem to take Kobe for granted. This is the guy who is playing with a finger in which he should have surgery. He is playing with a sprained ankle now. He played with a stomach that was messed up due to his medicine.

All that and he is still the best player in the game. I don't care about Lebron and what he does. I care about the Lakers and Kobe Bryant. This man has given so much to the fans and sacrificed his body to WIN.

It was one loss on this road trip. There is a reason why NO TEAM has ever went 7-0 on a road trip. Its difficult. We will have our nights off during the season. I do not expect that to happen during the playoffs.

We are the #1 team in the west. Many of you can worry about the Cavs's, but I will sit back and watch the Magic, Cavs, and Celtics all beat up on each other. Watch out for the Hawks too, they will be tough to beat in the playoffs, I would not be suprised to see the Hawks beat the Celtics or Cavs.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#15 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts
  • Fan Since:1966

Posted March 30, 2009 - 12:00 PM

Drew coming back won't help with the 3 point D. The Lakers have gotten burned all season on open 3's and that included early in the season when Drew was playing. I think Drew will stop players going to the rim some, but the 3 point D has stunk all season.

#16 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted March 30, 2009 - 05:02 PM

I'm not worried, when Lakers usually lose a game, a bad one they usually come back with solid play to beat the other teams and go on a 4-6 game winning streak.

yep, you are right, this is just something teams go through. The hawks game was wayyyy more about BAD offense as opposed to defense, we had chances, and we missed wide open shots, had turnovers, and the second unit was feeding Powell in the post, sometimes Mbenga..We played a Stupid game

Drew coming back won't help with the 3 point D. The Lakers have gotten burned all season on open 3's and that included early in the season when Drew was playing. I think Drew will stop players going to the rim some, but the 3 point D has stunk all season.

I think we would collaspe less when we know we have TRUE protection back there
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#17 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 05:07 PM

Do you remember how the Celtics beat us last season? They made the Lakers play around the perimeter. A team will have to be extremely hot from the outside to beat us. And even if they can do it for one or two games, theres no way they can do it for four games in a series.

#18 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts
  • Fan Since:1966

Posted March 30, 2009 - 05:16 PM

Do you remember how the Celtics beat us last season? They made the Lakers play around the perimeter. A team will have to be extremely hot from the outside to beat us. And even if they can do it for one or two games, theres no way they can do it for four games in a series.

I remember how the Celts beat LA. I also remember all season after say 3-4 games at the beginning how our perimeter defense sucked this year with Drew. On paper, it should make it better, but go back and watch any of the games before he got hurt and it was the same old thing. Go back and read this board early in season when people were griping about the teams shooting wide open 3's. I know some of you act like Bynum coming back will cure cancer and all other things in the world, but the 3-point D stunk with him just as it does now.

#19 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 05:18 PM

I remember how the Celts beat LA. I also remember all season after say 3-4 games at the beginning how our perimeter defense sucked this year with Drew. On paper, it should make it better, but go back and watch any of the games before he got hurt and it was the same old thing. Go back and read this board early in season when people were griping about the teams shooting wide open 3's. I know some of you act like Bynum coming back will cure cancer and all other things in the world, but the 3-point D stunk with him just as it does now.

The point i'm trying to make is that if teams need to beat by shooting three's, then so be it. They will not be able to do it for an entire series.

#20 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts
  • Name:WILL.I.AM
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba

Posted March 30, 2009 - 05:54 PM

Word Up :yes:
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users