#1 TheAssassin611

TheAssassin611

"The Young Assassin"

• 892 posts
  • Name:Mohammad Abdulrauf L. Lauban
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 30, 2009 - 04:15 AM

ATLANTA - The Lakers' loss Sunday afternoon to the Atlanta Hawks was only their 10th in 37 road games. No team in the NBA has fewer losses on the road than the Lakers.

So, the question is, why all the fuss about home-court advantage in the playoffs?

"You know, home court is important, but in my years of experience, if you're going to be a champion, you should win on the road anyway," Kobe Bryant said. "The better team is going to win, no matter where you play."

>In fact, the Lakers won their most recent NBA title without the benefit of home-court advantage in the Western Conference finals. In 2002, they defeated the Sacramento Kings in overtime in Game 7, silencing a raucous crowd at Arco Arena.

The Lakers have clinched the best record in the conference this season, but fell twogames behind the league-leading Cleveland Cavaliers on Sunday. At the moment, the Lakers have home- court advantage for only the first three rounds of the playoffs.
"We can win anywhere," Bryant said. "There's no question about it."

Why?

"I feel like we're a very good road team," he said. "Confidence, maturity, having seen the worst of the worst last year in Game 6 and having to learn from that and then, obviously, the road success we're having this year, we're fine playing on the road."

Bryant referred to the Lakers' humiliating 131-92 loss to the Boston Celtics in the deciding game of the Finals last June at the TD Banknorth

Advertisement

Garden.

Asked for his keys to road success, Lakers coach Phil Jackson said rather succinctly, "Talent and the ability to play together in a certain sense of composure. I think experience is a big part of it, too."

Rest Of The Article.

#2 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted March 30, 2009 - 05:49 AM

I hope that's the case. Forgive me for being the one to put a damper on the fact that we are the best road team in the league but Cleveland's really playing with a purpose.

#3 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,420 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 07:41 AM

Once again, who cares about Cleveland. Lets worry about the Lakers.

#4 purple_and_gold_fever

purple_and_gold_fever

Sixth Man

• 3,814 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 08:56 AM

The cavs won't beat the celtics in a 7 game series. Not a chance. Last time I checked, 3 is greater than 1.

#5 hype

hype

says hi!

• PipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 09:01 AM

Once again, who cares about Cleveland. Lets worry about the Lakers.

It's a legit concern because their role players are perhaps overachieving, while ours are underachieving big time (or you could make the argument that they aren't that good in the first place.) Cleveland has been playing "with a purpose", not helter skelter as we've been in the past couple months. We don't have consistency, even from all our starters besides Pau and Fisher. And that's something to be worried about no matter who we face in the playoffs.

#6 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,486 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 30, 2009 - 09:07 AM

"You know, home court is important, but in my years of experience, if you're going to be a champion, you should win on the road anyway," Kobe Bryant said

KB, tell that to the Celtics of last year please.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#7 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,320 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted March 30, 2009 - 09:09 AM

I'm confident about the playoffs when Kobe said that.

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Message From Pac

#8 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,420 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 09:15 AM

KB, tell that to the Celtics of last year please.

Did the Celtics not win on the road to beat us?

Champions win big games on the road. Simple as that.

#9 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,486 posts
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.

Posted March 30, 2009 - 09:32 AM

True, but to get there they had dual 7 games series in both rounds 1 & 2 in which they didnt win a single road game. Had the game 7 in Boston been in Atlanta, the Hawks may have taken that series.
They showed that Boston couldnt win in ATL with blowouts. Then the Hawks went back to beantown and would get crucified.

Did the Celtics not win on the road to beat us?

Champions win big games on the road. Simple as that.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#10 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,420 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 09:38 AM

True, but to get there they had dual 7 games series in both rounds 1 & 2 in which they didnt win a single road game. Had the game 7 in Boston been in Atlanta, the Hawks may have taken that series.
They showed that Boston couldnt win in ATL with blowouts. Then the Hawks went back to beantown and would get crucified.

Its called the playoffs. Just because you're a number one seed, it doesn't mean the title will be handed to you. You must win on the road to win a championship. The Celtics beat us and thats that. You need to be mentally tough in order to win on the road.

Past Laker teams have done it. We went into San Antonio and Utah last year and won. We can do the same this year. We went and won in Boston this year. We went and are the only team to win in Cleveland this year. We are more mentally tough this year and we can win on the road. Something that we weren't too sure of last year.

#11 Rene

Rene

Reborn

• 418 posts
  • Name:Rene

Posted March 30, 2009 - 09:42 AM

It's funny, it's regarded as homecourt advantage because the team with it plays one extra game at home, and considering the Lakers have HCA throughout the Playoffs (NBA Finals excluded), they'll be fine. In the NBA Finals, it's really HCA for both teams. How is that? Games 1 and 2 are at home, while 3, 4, and 5 are away (for the HCA team), then they come back for Games 6 and 7. Evein if the Lakers lost games 1 and 2 on the road, they have good chances of winning 3 and 4 on the road, and the pivotal Game 5 will be played at STAPLES. SO the Lakers could be 3-2 going into Games 6 and 7, which would put a considerable amount of pressure on the HCA team to win on their homecourt. Remember, this is a situational, but the point I'm trying to make is, that the schedule really works for both teams, it's a matter of who takes advantage of it. What if the Lakers won Game 2 on the road? The series would be 1-1 heading to STAPLES for the next 3 games!

Edited by Rene, March 30, 2009 - 09:45 AM.

#12 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 30, 2009 - 10:15 AM

its all good...it just means that we celebrate in LA when we clinch....

in fact, rest kobe and pau
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#13 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,486 posts

Posted March 30, 2009 - 10:22 AM

What if the Lakers won Game 2 on the road? The series would be 1-1 heading to STAPLES for the next 3 games!

Thats why its called "Stealing home court advantage".
No matter what order you put the playoff games in the result is always the same: a game on the road is always more difficult than a game at home.
Everyone knows theres instances when a H/C Mavs get their fannies kicked by the Warriors. Its happend before and it will happen again. But that type of series is rare and I dont put my faith in that to happen unless a team is playing exceptional defense.
Consider this, the Hawks took the Celts to 7 games last year. The Celts did not win a road game in ATL, but the Hawks couldnt win in Boston. Thats why its called Home court advantage.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#14 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,315 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted March 30, 2009 - 10:32 AM

The cavs won't beat the celtics in a 7 game series. Not a chance. Last time I checked, 3 is greater than 1.

I can't wait for ECF. 

#15 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted March 30, 2009 - 10:34 AM

Not to sound redundant but I've heard that from kobe before. When we were down to Detroit all I heard was "We'll be fine, we've been in this position before"... Fast forward to now and after one good game the Bench is saying "we'll be fine".. I don't know...

#16 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts
  • Fan Since:1966

Posted March 30, 2009 - 12:04 PM

I agree with Kobe and Go Lakers. I just think this is LA's year to win it. Drew will come back and then he or Lamar will help stabilize that second unit. Me and all others gripe about the second unit, but then we forget they have lost Ariza and Odom off that unit. Sure they got Luke, but put Lamar or Drew back with Jordan, Josh, Sasha and Luke and LA should be fine. I would just like to see Phil try to get Shannon some PT. He can help in the playoffs with his D in my opinnion.

#17 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted March 30, 2009 - 12:41 PM

Of course Kobe's gonna' say that NOW. Would you expect anything different? I mean regardless of the circumstance he's confident, but trust me, the Lakers DID wanna' get the full homecourt, but mostly because of their own lapses and arrogance, they screwed themselves over so now they're dealt with this, which still isn't bad, but yeah.

I would just like to see Phil try to get Shannon some PT. He can help in the playoffs with his D in my opinnion.

Not just your opinion, that's common sense right there. Yet Phil, oh goodness.

#18 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted March 30, 2009 - 12:47 PM

The 2-3-2 Format isn't what I would call home court advantage anyway

#19 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted March 30, 2009 - 03:55 PM

I have faith in the Lakers.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#20 Rene

Rene

Reborn

• 418 posts
  • Name:Rene

Posted March 30, 2009 - 05:07 PM

Thats why its called "Stealing home court advantage".
No matter what order you put the playoff games in the result is always the same: a game on the road is always more difficult than a game at home.
Everyone knows theres instances when a H/C Mavs get their fannies kicked by the Warriors. Its happend before and it will happen again. But that type of series is rare and I dont put my faith in that to happen unless a team is playing exceptional defense.
Consider this, the Hawks took the Celts to 7 games last year. The Celts did not win a road game in ATL, but the Hawks couldnt win in Boston. Thats why its called Home court advantage.

The Boston Celtics clearly didn't have their mindset right. If I'm right, Boston was the best road team in the NBA at the time, why they lost 3 games in Atlanta is beyond me, either Boston played down to their competition, or Atlanta simply over-achieved, anything else is just a fluke. I don't think you read my whole post, I clearly said it w as a situational. Regardless, if you think in any way, shape, or fashion the Hawks can compete with the Celtics then I don't know what to tell you, yes, last season, it looked like it. In addition, the Lakers had a good postseason record, right? Why couldn't the Lakers defeat the Celtics last season? Let alone in STAPLES Center?

I'll reiterate one more time; it was a situational. The Lakers will need to win on the road, it's not just about having Homecourt Advantage, my friend, last season's Boston Celtics proved they could win at STAPLES, and the 2007 San Antonio Spurs proved they could win in Cleveland, and didn't the Heat win in Dallas? That's what a real, serious contender could do. And no, it's not called “stealing Homecourt Advantage,” it's called being the better team.

Edited by Rene, March 30, 2009 - 05:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users