• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 17, 2008 - 06:15 PM

Does any1 else have a problem with this? I've just been thinking about it lately when seeing people like Chris Kaman and Becky Hammon playing for other countries. I guess it's all a matter of opinion or personal preference, but I can say myself I would never do it. Everybody in the United States has roots from other countries. Does that mean you should represent them? Why would you? You're American first and foremost. I would NEVER compete against my country, ever.

I just read the article about Chris Kaman's father being upset that he was playing for Germany and even saying he will be rooting against him in our upcoming game against Germany.

#2 Jaime Quintanilla

Jaime Quintanilla

SI ME GUSTA!

• 4,346 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 17, 2008 - 06:24 PM

The only reason why Kaman is playing for Germany, is because the Team U.S.A. wouldn't take him.

#3 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted August 17, 2008 - 11:04 PM

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, especially mainly it be that that athlete or player can't get on or make the team of their original country, especially the US. Specifically in basketball, since we are so stacked full number one by far overall in terms of MOST talent & MOST quality players overall in general, there's a ton of decent, good, solid, & great players who can't even make the US team roster and they'd love to play for our country.

But the bottomline is, it shouldn't be viewed as they are less patriotic and shame on them, backstabbers, uappreciateive, etc.. at least in my eyes, the guys or girls just wanna PLAY. A lot of athletes WANT to be able to live through that experience. It's special and it's GOTTA' be SOME fun, playing on the oympic world stage like that. If you can't make your original main country's team, then go to the closest thing near it, and that is your closest heritage, nothin' wrong with having some pride there either. In fact, there are people who are ashamed of their heritage completley or are embarrassed to admit their background,

but again, I think people who feel otherwise can sometimes be viewed as overly patriotic to a fault, atleast in my eyes. It's not THAT big a deal, highly overrated stuff really.

Edited by Chicano, August 17, 2008 - 11:06 PM.

#4 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted August 18, 2008 - 01:16 AM

Damn, it'd be tight playing for the Philippines. Hmm maybe Vietnam too. That's probably if I couldn't play for USA though. ;)

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#5 Equilibrium

Equilibrium

Rookie

• 1,215 posts

Posted August 18, 2008 - 04:39 PM

Well several of the past/current athletes were born in other countries outside of America, but they are now representing the USA.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users