40 replies to this topic

#1 thecreator

thecreator

Rookie

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE BRYANT

Posted March 26, 2009 - 01:48 AM

For what seems to have been my entire life, I’ve supported the Los Angeles Lakers like crazy all the way from Australia. I consider myself a die-hard Lakers fan, doing anything possible to watch every single game they play. Since 1999 I have only missed a handful of games, over the years I’ve been glued to the computer watching or listening to the radio broadcasts of each and every game no matter what time of morning, day or night they’re playing.

Along with being a Lakers fan I’m an all-round Kobe Bryant nut. Ever since I first saw him play his been my all-time favourite athlete. What makes Kobe so special to me is his determination, courage, loyalty, and work ethic which truly inspires me like no one else. The way he attacks the game of basketball and his never die like attitude along with his relentless approach to be the best of all time at what he does, injects all the motivation in me needed for my creativity and designs. With all this being said there was never one moment or thought that I would ever get to personally meet with Kobe. Just thinking of this was just so unreal it seemed like a waste of time to ponder over if I’d ever get to meet him.

I made the trip over to Los Angeles to finally live one of my dreams, to see the Los Angeles Lakers play live at Staples Center. The biggest thing I noticed whilst I attended four Lakers games was the electricity and atmosphere the whole stadium drew. After watching thousands of games back at home, to finally be at a game meant so much to me. But all this was just a curtain raiser when I found out the news that I would meet with Kobe Bryant after the Lakers vs 76ers game.

March 17th had rolled over, the night that I would meet with Kobe after the Lakers played the 76ers. Huge thanks to Nick Kioski and the Lakers organization as they handed me over tickets in a VIP corporate suite to watch the game. The game went down to the wire with Kobe playing the late game heroics role yet again hitting what seemed to be the game winning shot with 6.6 seconds left. But just as I was thinking how insane would it be to meet Kobe Bryant after he made a game winning shot, Andre Iguodala had to spoil it all by draining a remarkable three pointer as time expired. I headed down to the Lakers players race waiting outside to meet Kobe after the post game interviews and a make a wish request he was doing.

As I stood waiting for Kobe to come I built up 4 or 5 questions I’d always had wanted to ask him. When Kobe walked through the doors with a big smile on his face and shook my hand, my mind went blank it was like a dream I’ve had too much but this dream was different, as crazy as it was this time it was real. The first thing I said to him was “man this is crazy Kobe, no joke I’ve spent millions of hours watching you play for the Lakers, this will always be the greatest moment in my life to meet you”. Despite the heartbreaking loss Kobe was all smiles and very talkative, which just concludes what kind of guy he really is, a true gentleman. Bryant, loved the fact that I was wearing his Authentic High School jersey back from 1996, and that I have a entire wardrobe at home dedicated to Kobe Bryant jerseys. My already high respect for him rose even more as he took time out of his busy schedule to meet with me. As I said my goodbyes to Kobe he signed my Lakers jacket which just made the night even more special.

As I look back and reflect on the moment in my life I will cherish most it didn’t matter that I didn’t ask Kobe the questions, and stories that I had always wanted to talk to him about. I realised just being in his presence was all that mattered to me. The dream I had oh so many times of meeting my idol in life finally came true, and I’d like to thank the crew at http://www.kb24.com, his security team and staff, and most importantly Eric Marentette for making this dream of mine come true.

Kobe’s #1 Aussie fan
Tyson Beck

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#2 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,737 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted March 26, 2009 - 02:17 AM

man i've lived in LA most of my life and i've never even met kobe, haha

props man, great story

2div

#3 TheAssassin611

TheAssassin611

"The Young Assassin"

• 892 posts
  • Name:Mohammad Abdulrauf L. Lauban
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 26, 2009 - 02:47 AM

Lucky Man,CongratZ :clap:

#4 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,306 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted March 26, 2009 - 03:11 AM

Great story :) Kind of bad that the Lakers spoiled your visit at Staples, but meeting Kobe must have made you night :)

P.S. Nice collection of Kobe jerseys ! Props :)

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Message From Pac

#5 rissa missa

rissa missa

i <3 Kobe

• 938 posts

Posted March 26, 2009 - 03:23 AM

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!!! Oi, Oi, Oi!!! :clap:

Congratulations again, Tyson. that is quite an awesome collection you have. :D

#6 thecreator

thecreator

Rookie

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted March 26, 2009 - 03:34 AM

Great story :) Kind of bad that the Lakers spoiled your visit at Staples, but meeting Kobe must have made you night :)

P.S. Nice collection of Kobe jerseys ! Props :)

Yeah it was a shame they lost, but it sure got my heart racing at the end of the game. Lots of fun despite the loss.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!!! Oi, Oi, Oi!!! :clap:

Congratulations again, Tyson. that is quite an awesome collection you have. :D

Thank you very much, I have a few more kobe jerseys but couldnt fit them in the photo they filled up my entire room laying down hahaha. As you can see im a lakers/kobe freak and despite being in Australia I will do anything possible to collect as much laker gear as possible.

thanks TLN!

#7 Coco

Coco

Rookie

• 78 posts

Posted March 26, 2009 - 03:36 AM

Meeting Kobe would make anyone's day :D

#8 Franchise

Franchise

Rookie

• 322 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:2005
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 26, 2009 - 04:25 AM

nice bro, I'm Australian too and live in Australia.. yeoow. Id have to say maybe no i am Australia's no 2 la/Kobe fan haha

#9 lakerball4life

lakerball4life

Off The Bench

• 1,700 posts
  • Fav. Laker:The Machine

Posted March 26, 2009 - 04:53 AM

we clearly need a laker fan get together down here in australia? where are you guys? im in central qld... you pretty much lived my dream creator. your very lucky. If you get those seats again, hook a brother up ;)
Posted Image

#10 thecreator

thecreator

Rookie

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted March 26, 2009 - 05:08 AM

oh wow this very cool seeing some Australian Laker fans. represent boys!!!

awesome sig you got right there bro!!
Im from South Australia, Adelaide. So yeah not near Queensland unfortunately :(

Edited by thecreator, March 26, 2009 - 05:10 AM.

#11 Sako32

Sako32

LIKE A ROLLING STONE

• 1,217 posts
  • Name:Sako
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, & Bynum

Posted March 26, 2009 - 06:51 AM

"lucky" (Napoleon Dynamite style)

Posted Image

#12 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,610 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted March 26, 2009 - 10:36 AM

congrats tyson! i'm glad you finally got to meet kobe...hopefully you'll get to make it out here for some more games, and maybe meeting some more lakers. i remember when i met him, i had prepared what i wanted to say...something i had always thought about since this had been one of my life goals for like 10 years...but when i actually got up to him, and shook his hand, and saw that signature smile in real life, my mind went blank too, i just babbled something about how i've been following him since '96, and this has been my dream as he signed my basketball and laughed...

congratulations though!! i'll be keeping my eyes open for some inspired work from you =)

Posted Image

#13 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Horry, Van Exel

Posted March 26, 2009 - 11:09 AM

Awesome story, bro. Glad you got to head out to LA and meet Kobe.

Bleeding purple & gold...

#14 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted March 26, 2009 - 11:20 AM

Lucky bastard. Must be nice to work for the Lakers.

You're stuff is awesome. Will we be seeing anymore wallpapers during the playoffs?

#15 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,406 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted March 26, 2009 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for sharing and congrats on living alot of our dreams. Your jersey collection is nuts my friend.

veqdeg.jpg

#16 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted March 26, 2009 - 01:18 PM

Great story :yes:
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#17 lakerstefi

lakerstefi

Polakers

• 2,392 posts

Posted March 26, 2009 - 02:09 PM

Great story!!!
You have an awesome jersey collection :bow: :bow:

#18 thecreator

thecreator

Rookie

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted March 26, 2009 - 03:05 PM

congrats tyson! i'm glad you finally got to meet kobe...hopefully you'll get to make it out here for some more games, and maybe meeting some more lakers. i remember when i met him, i had prepared what i wanted to say...something i had always thought about since this had been one of my life goals for like 10 years...but when i actually got up to him, and shook his hand, and saw that signature smile in real life, my mind went blank too, i just babbled something about how i've been following him since '96, and this has been my dream as he signed my basketball and laughed...

congratulations though!! i'll be keeping my eyes open for some inspired work from you =)

oh great story Game505, the exact same thing happened to me how my mind went blank when i saw kobe's smile and he shook my hand, it was a weird feeling i just couldnt think asking those questions I had always wanted, I only chated about the game on the night and about how much of a fan I am of his.

Lucky bastard. Must be nice to work for the Lakers.

You're stuff is awesome. Will we be seeing anymore wallpapers during the playoffs?

I will be releasing a wallpaper campaigning Kobe Bryant for the 08-09 MVP award (not that he should need any help to swing votes). It will be like a comic book, which tells the story of Kobe's amazing season. I will be releasing it the night after the last regular season game.

I will do some playoff wallpapers for sure also.

Thanks for sharing and congrats on living alot of our dreams. Your jersey collection is nuts my friend.

Thanks bro, I had a couple more jerseys but couldnt fit them in the photo. My jersey colllection is probably what i treasure most, as weird as it may sound lol.

#19 GinzyVee

GinzyVee

Clutch

• 1,969 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted March 26, 2009 - 03:19 PM

wow thats great bro...

#20 magicmoment

magicmoment

ArtestMediaGroup Graphic Designer

• 3,489 posts
  • Name:Angelica "Gel Gel"
  • Fan Since:circa 1999ish
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Vujacic, Gasol, Artest

Posted March 26, 2009 - 05:32 PM

Wow. thats amazing! Ive lived in the LA area my whole life & I got to meet Kobe in Vegas. haha. Not even in California! :lol:
Thats AMAZING! I love your story & great pictures! :rock:
Thanks for sharing!
I bet your heart wasn't beating the whole time you were with Kobe huh? Idk about you, but when I meet my idols, my heart beats outta my chest! haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users