7 replies to this topic

#1 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts
  • Fan Since:'97-'98
  • Fav. Laker:Sedale Threatt

Posted March 26, 2009 - 12:07 AM

The Cavs, Lakers, Celtics and Magic are a combined 219-63, a winning percentage of 78.7 percent. They're all on pace for at least 61 wins.

These are elite teams to say the least. But none is perfect. They all have weaknesses. And by breaking down their numbers, we can get a better idea of what goes wrong when they lose.

In general, when these teams lose, things go wrong on both ends of the floor. If it's not a good offensive night, that's going to affect the other end as well, because it's harder to get back to set up your defense. It works the other way, too. It's hard to get easy looks at the basket when you're opponent is scoring on his end and able to set up defensively.

So, for each of these teams, there's a pretty big dropoff in both offensive and defensive efficiency between wins and losses.

Edited by Junayd, March 26, 2009 - 03:12 PM.

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr
“i have more respect for a man that lets me know where he stands, even if he’s wrong.
than one who comes up like an angel but is nothing but a devil.”

#2 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted March 26, 2009 - 05:47 PM

i wish all fans could read, and comprehend this
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#3 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 26, 2009 - 05:57 PM

i wish all fans could read, and comprehend this

I wish certain fans weren't such homers that they believe nothing is wrong with our team when we lose games for the same reasons EVERY time.

#4 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted March 26, 2009 - 06:25 PM

I wish certain fans weren't such homers that they believe nothing is wrong with our team when we lose games for the same reasons EVERY time.

What??????????
I wasnt talking about you or anyone specifically, why do you have to attack me?
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#5 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 26, 2009 - 06:27 PM

What??????????
I wasnt talking about you or anyone specifically, why do you have to attack me?

I never mentioned you, specifically. You're wishing for all fans to comprehend the article, and I'm wishing for homer fans to comprehend that we lose for the same reasons. Every time.

#6 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,919 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 26, 2009 - 08:19 PM

Well, it's pretty damn obvious that a team has problems when they lose, or else they wouldn't lose.

As the guy said, the Cavaliers screw up from time to time. Sometimes, they have bad offensive nights. Sometimes, their defense fails them.

Guess what? The Lakers' screw ups come mostly from their lack of defense, and if I were to pinpoint it, it would be defense at the point, lack of rebounding in clutch situations, and defense in the paint. Defense, period. Rotating. Challenging shooters. Switching on screens. Following defenders off down-screens. Defending the screen and roll's pass. Weak side help. Transition defense. Fast break defense. Trailing the cutters. Putting a body in front of the slashers. Corner traps. Cutting off the baseline. Reading the passing lanes and intercepting from point to post scorer. Challenging the entry passes. Directing the post up with your body and hand, instead of letting it direct you. Hands in the face of shooters, not just straight up. Fouling at the right times. Four crashing the glass, one back.

The Lakers have an Achilles' heel that shows up with every loss. Quite frankly, it's the same Achilles' heel that killed us in the Finals, the same one that needs to be treated to win a championship.

It has yet to be treated.

#7 Junayd

Junayd

Based Prophet

• 10,890 posts
  • Fan Since:'97-'98
  • Fav. Laker:Sedale Threatt

Posted March 26, 2009 - 10:37 PM

My biggest problem with them is the killer instinct to absolutely finish teams off early..and keep the pressure

Posted Image
@MooMeezy | Tumblr
“i have more respect for a man that lets me know where he stands, even if he’s wrong.
than one who comes up like an angel but is nothing but a devil.”

#8 Kenrae

Kenrae

Metal Mutant

• 954 posts

Posted March 27, 2009 - 05:00 AM

Mmm

In general, when these teams lose, things go wrong on both ends of the floor. If it's not a good offensive night, that's going to affect the other end as well, because it's harder to get back to set up your defense. It works the other way, too. It's hard to get easy looks at the basket when you're opponent is scoring on his end and able to set up defensively.

This John Schuhmann guy has copied me! :P
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users