Truthspeaker

Rookie

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:'88
  • Fav. Laker:Wilt Chamberlin

Posted March 25, 2009 - 01:08 PM

Hey there.. as a lakers fan I couldnt help but feel disgusted at what I saw in the finals last year... Lakers big men getting punked out by Leon Powe and Glen Davis? Kobe bryant launching up ridiculous three pointers/fadeaways in crucial moments of the game and trying to play hero... Kobe did this in game 3 (or 4? I cant remember) of the finals when boston came back from being down 22 to beat the lakers at home. I mean did he really need to jump over a pool of snakes before the finals?

It may be my need to overanalyze things but as much as I want to see the lakers win another championship I can't help but focus on the little things that the lakers do wrong seemingly every single night..

1. Like Smush Parker puts it... it all starts and ends #24... As much as I'd like to think that Kobe has changed I still don't see a totally unselfish ball player. I still see 24 being lackadasical on defense at times... not picking up 3 point shooters in 3-2 defenses. I still see kobe's need to be the star on the lakers... to one-up his teammates just so he can feel like its his team. i mean everyone can agree that the lakers are definitely Kobe's team. If you told KG the celtics were his team he would flip his switch. I honestly think that Pau Gasol and Derek Fisher are way more of a leader in the locker room than Kobe is... it seems like Fisher almost has to babysit kobe at times.. like how phil jackson has to.

It also seems kinda troubling to me how no one on the lakers responded to smush parker dogging kobe like that? Smush flat out said that Kobe was not a good player to play around, and i quote: it all starts and ends with 24. If someone would have dogged KG or Pierce like that you think no one on the bostons ball club would have said something about it? (sorry for all the boston analogies but they are the world champs and unfortunely have way more banners than the lakers do) I just dont see the same sort of comradely with the lakers and I do with the C's. If Kobe really wants to win another ring he must lead by example on that team...

2. Lakers Defense. The lakers team defensive is kinda impressive at times but it's incredibly sporadic and sometimes doesnt even show up. On top of that... the lakers... apart from bryant, fisher and maybe odom dont really have that many defensive-minded players. I mean gasol definitely plays defense but he doesnt clog up the middle like he should a lot of the times and doesnt have the physical intensity needed to shut down some of the stronger centers and forwards in the game. (Although I do think he is a good matchup against KG even though KG is stronger and more physical). which brings me to my next point..

3. Andrew Bynum... as impressed as everyone is with this kid (me included) he still has no playoff experience whatsoever... apparently a little injury prone.. and oh look this is the exact situation the lakers were in last season. How many times last season did you hear Bynum say he was gonna be ready for the playoffs? Then the timetable for his return got a little bit longer and longer and all of a sudden the lakers are in the finals... without bynum.. and without a ring.

So my point to all that is a question... in light of all this do you guys think that the lakers can win a championship this year? (Regardless of whether or not bynum returns or not)

#2 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 25, 2009 - 01:10 PM

Posted Image
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#3 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 25, 2009 - 01:11 PM

they can win a championship without Bynum

they cannot win a championship without playing DEFENSE...they showed in the Cleveland and Boston games they can win on the road without Bynum by playing DEFENSE.

and why the eff should anyone care what Smush says?

Edited by MDI, March 25, 2009 - 01:11 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#4 Truthspeaker

Truthspeaker

Rookie

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 01:30 PM

and why the eff should anyone care what Smush says?

Cause smush is talking sh1t about the best player on the team, best player in the league arguebly. You think any of KG's previous teammates would blast him like that? I dont think KG's teammates would leave him under the boat like that either. I'm not saying anyone should care what Smush says but it would be nice to see some lakers get behind their teammates back, let it be bryant or mbenga. I bet Lebron's teammates would respond to a remark like that the very next day.

Thats the same kind of cocky LA bull[expletive] that got them stomped by Boston last year. The Lakers gave up 22 points at home in the finals, think that would have happened to any other team?

Lets admit it, LA, Phil Jackson, Kobe Bryant. All pretty smug arrognant motherfckers, as smart and talented as they may be.

Can someone who knows a little anything about basketball please try to convince me that the lakers actually have a shot this year? Its Lakers fans like this that make me less hopeful about LA getting another championship.

btw... your avatar sums up exactly what the lakers dont need on their team.

#5 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 01:32 PM

Cause smush is talking sh1t about the best player on the team, best player in the league arguebly. You think any of KG's previous teammates would blast him like that? I dont think KG's teammates would leave him under the boat like that either. I'm not saying anyone should care what Smush says but it would be nice to see some lakers get behind their teammates back, let it be bryant or mbenga. I bet Lebron's teammates would respond to a remark like that the very next day.

Thats the same kind of cocky LA bull[expletive] that got them stomped by Boston last year. The Lakers gave up 22 points at home in the finals, think that would have happened to any other team?

Lets admit it, LA, Phil Jackson, Kobe Bryant. All pretty smug arrognant motherfckers, as smart and talented as they may be.

Can someone who knows a little anything about basketball please try to convince me that the lakers actually have a shot this year? Its Lakers fans like this that make me less hopeful about LA getting another championship.

btw... your avatar sums up exactly what the lakers dont need on their team.

No Smush is a nobody. The best way to dismiss what a nobody says is ignore them. We weren't cocky...we were intimidated if anything.

I smell a troll...

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#6 Truthspeaker

Truthspeaker

Rookie

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 05:02 PM

Intimidated enough to blow a 22 point lead?

#7 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted March 25, 2009 - 05:07 PM

This is definetely a boston fan, but we beat the celtics this year in the reg. season, something we couldnt do.
Our toughness, and Our MVP, got us against the best the WEST had to offer, Utah and San Antonio, who are tough teams, with great coaches.
Buck Foston and Tuck Frolls
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#8 Mr. Laker

Mr. Laker

Re-Signed Member

• 3,929 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Fan Since:1985 @ Birth
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 25, 2009 - 05:12 PM

1. Like Smush Parker puts it... it all starts and ends #24... As much as I'd like to think that Kobe has changed I still don't see a totally unselfish ball player. I still see 24 being lackadasical on defense at times... not picking up 3 point shooters in 3-2 defenses. I still see kobe's need to be the star on the lakers... to one-up his teammates just so he can feel like its his team. i mean everyone can agree that the lakers are definitely Kobe's team. If you told KG the celtics were his team he would flip his switch. I honestly think that Pau Gasol and Derek Fisher are way more of a leader in the locker room than Kobe is... it seems like Fisher almost has to babysit kobe at times.. like how phil jackson has to.

obvisously you have no idea what your saying i dont think Lakers have ever played the 3-2 defense let alone any zone defense

#9 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,823 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted March 25, 2009 - 05:12 PM

Why the hell would you even care what Smush says? The Lakers have more important things to worry about than some scrub playing in China.

...and what does Smush have to do with us losing in the Finals? Sure, Phil and Kobe are somewhat arrogant, but there isn't really much you can say to them considering that one has won 9 rings as a coach, and the other is the best player in the league.

We swept Cleveland and Boston during the season, have a healthy Trevor Ariza this time around, and may have the added presence of Andrew Bynum come playoff time. We are 4-0 against the two teams that seem like the biggest threat to our goal of a championship this season. Boston isn't nearly as strong as last season, and the Cavaliers aren't much of a threat if LeBron is somewhat neutralized (as we had done in the two meetings this season). We definitely have a shot this year.

#10 Vibe

Vibe

On top of the world

• 149 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 25, 2009 - 05:26 PM

Yes. They can win a championship not becuz i said so or some so called expert says so... but becuz they have the potential to be untouched...will they win it....i guess june will tell.

#11 !PAUER!

!PAUER!

Rookie

• 317 posts

Posted March 25, 2009 - 06:08 PM

First of all how do you know that nobody said anything about Smush's comments. Just because the media didnt report it doesnt mean it didnt happen.

Second, why would anyone on the Lakers give a [expletive] about what an EX NBA player said. The guy obviously couldnt hack it in the NBA and now he is bitter.

On a side note I do agree with most of your other points though.

Kobe was throwing up shots and being a bit selfish but that was because others werent contributing when it mattered. The exact opposite was true on the X-mas game.

Their defense is sporadic. Remember it was the best in the league in the beginning of the season but then they lost that intensity.

Oh and I love Andrew as well, but I think his nerves might get the best of him in the playoffs, if he makes it.

#12 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted March 25, 2009 - 10:08 PM

Like Smush Parker puts it... it all starts and ends #24... As much as I'd like to think that Kobe has changed I still don't see a totally unselfish ball player.

Oh, the irony.

Smush Parker is not in a position to talk about selflessness, and this is the very same guy who think that playing for the Lakers, the greatest franchise in the NBA, is overrated...

Edited by Kwamesaurus Rex, March 26, 2009 - 12:03 AM.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users