#1 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 16, 2008 - 02:18 PM

After seeing the USA vs. Spain game, am I the only one who wasn't impressed by Rubio? I didn't really see much in this game from him. But, I suppose that's to be expected from a young player going up against superstars...

I'd like to see what he could become a few years down the stretch, but currently he doesn't seem like the kid phenom everyone makes him out to be. Having great games against the likes of the weaker leagues in Europe doesn't mean much since most teams play horrible defense (from what I've seen). I don't think youtube videos do him justice, but if the videos are supposed to be highlights of his abilities, I'm not impressed :huh:

He doesn't really have anything that makes you go :blink:

But, he does have good court vision, some height, and solid playmaking ability. He can slash to the basket and shoot, but this is all against European league defense, which is a joke. He definitely has the potential to be an above average star, but I'm not sure he can be a star in the NBA.

Unlike many foreign stars, it doesn't seem like he has any amazing strengths like a Tony Parker's ability to finish at the rack or a Ginobli's unorthodox ability in finding a way to score. He doesn't have the speed of a Leandro Barbosa or the scoring ability of a Dirk Nowitzki. His playmaking ability isn't at the level of Steve Nash, but with extensive work in the next few years, he could come close to that level. It'd be best if he stay in Europe for another 3-4 years to improve his abilities and further develop physically before coming ot the NBA.

I hope he can become a superstar in the NBA, but I get the nagging feeling that he'll end up as only a solid PG. European Star doesn't usually translate to superstar in the NBA...

Your views?

(Above moved from USA vs. Spain preliminary thread with minor changes)

#2 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,689 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 16, 2008 - 02:22 PM

After seeing the USA vs. Spain game, am I the only one who wasn't impressed by Rubio? I didn't really see much in this game from him. But, I suppose that's to be expected from a young player going up against superstars...

I'd like to see what he could become a few years down the stretch, but currently he doesn't seem like the kid phenom everyone makes him out to be. Having great games against the likes of the weaker leagues in Europe doesn't mean much since most teams play horrible defense (from what I've seen). I don't think youtube videos do him justice, but if the videos are supposed to be highlights of his abilities, I'm not impressed :huh:

He doesn't really have anything that makes you go :blink:

But, he does have good court vision, some height, and solid playmaking ability. He can slash to the basket and shoot, but this is all against European league defense, which is a joke. He definitely has the potential to be an above average star, but I'm not sure he can be a star in the NBA.

Unlike many foreign stars, it doesn't seem like he has any amazing strengths like a Tony Parker's ability to finish at the rack or a Ginobli's unorthodox ability in finding a way to score. He doesn't have the speed of a Leandro Barbosa or the scoring ability of a Dirk Nowitzki. His playmaking ability isn't at the level of Steve Nash, but with extensive work in the next few years, he could come close to that level. It'd be best if he stay in Europe for another 3-4 years to improve his abilities and further develop physically before coming ot the NBA.

I hope he can become a superstar in the NBA, but I get the nagging feeling that he'll end up as only a solid PG. European Star doesn't usually translate to superstar in the NBA...

Your views?

(Above moved from USA vs. Spain preliminary thread with minor changes)

He is 17, I don't know how good Tony Parker or Manu were at that age.
1 can't tell from 1 game against the USA. He has a lot of room for improvement, ACB is behind the NBA. You can't say weak defense, and minor teams in Europe, because Pau also came from there, and look where he is now.
I don't know if he will be a star in the NBA, but he is very young, and already competing with stars, who at that age can say that?...
Posted Image

#3 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts

Posted August 16, 2008 - 02:32 PM

He is 17, I don't know how good Tony Parker or Manu were at that age.
1 can't tell from 1 game against the USA. He has a lot of room for improvement, ACB is behind the NBA. You can't say weak defense, and minor teams in Europe, because Pau also came from there, and look where he is now.I don't know if he will be a star in the NBA, but he is very young, and already competing with stars, who at that age can say that?...

Pau, and very few foreign players, are special cases in making the transition from Euro star to NBA star. Young players who were already competing with stars...hmm...Dirk Nowitzki is the only one that comes to mind, but he's different compared to the average PF in basketball.

#4 Sakata Gintoki

Sakata Gintoki

Rookie

• 103 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Pau Gasol

Posted August 16, 2008 - 02:33 PM

I seriously think he´ll be Top 3 of next Draft

#5 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts

Posted August 16, 2008 - 02:36 PM

I'm not sure as to what his draft value will be simply because I don't know of many of the new players coming into the NCAA college teams. Once March comes around, his value will probably become more clear.

#6 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,689 posts

Posted August 16, 2008 - 02:37 PM

Pau, and very few foreign players, are special cases in making the transition from Euro star to NBA star. Young players who were already competing with stars...hmm...Dirk Nowitzki is the only one that comes to mind, but he's different compared to the average PF in basketball.

I think he will be a star in the nba, If he goes step by step, things don't get to his head, and gets proper mentoring.

Don't tell me you are not impressed with the youtube videos, because you are lying. :blink:

Edited by netlord, August 16, 2008 - 02:38 PM.

Posted Image

#7 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts

Posted August 16, 2008 - 02:37 PM

Tough to judge off of one game (which is what I've seen). He didn't really do anything. I'll reserve my judgment for later.

#8 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts

Posted August 16, 2008 - 02:41 PM

I think he will be a star in the nba, If he goes step by step, things don't get to his head, and gets proper mentoring.

Don't tell me you are not impressed with the youtube videos, because you are lying. :huh:

Seriously, I wasn't amazed by what he did. He seems above average to me, but he doesn't look like anything special (IMHO). Though if he does get proper mentoring from a more experienced player, he could develop into a really good player. The potential's definitey there, but he hasn't shown anything that makes me go :blink:

#9 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted August 16, 2008 - 03:31 PM

Right now, he's not NBA ready

I'll just say that

He needs to improve his handles, decision making, his shooting and perhaps think of bulking up. He's not gonna blow by anybody, but he's smart enough to find open lanes in the paint and take advantage to penetrate whenever an opponent gets out of position.

He reaches too much on defense...just doesn't give enough effort to bend his knees, put his hands in the air and play solid man to man D...he tries to gamble too much. We had so many leakouts during the game today, partly because he's not fast enough and the play was over by the time he got back to the other basket or tried to steal the ball at mid court and got left to bite the dust.

Like someone else said he's only 17. Another 2-3 years in Europe, we'll be able to see what kind of player he is and if he's improved in the areas I highlighted above, I guess he could enter the NBA

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#10 Lakers818

Lakers818

Its killa california

• 1,811 posts
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted August 16, 2008 - 04:23 PM

this guy is good, if scouts, GMs and coaches say his going to be a top pick, he just might be good, just maybe.
Posted Image

#11 Kellz

Kellz

Kellz comin back to TLN

• 2,055 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Trevor Ariza

Posted August 16, 2008 - 04:47 PM

hes only 17 and hes been playing pro ball scince he was 13
R.I.P. Michael Jackson King Of Pop
1958-2009

Glad i left lakerground, and even happier im a member at Lakers Nation
TLN FTW!!!!!

All Hail the King of R&B, R. Kelly

#12 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts

Posted August 16, 2008 - 07:27 PM

I think Rubio will become a good player in the future, but currently I think he's a bit too hyped as being the next NBA superstar coming out of Europe. Stay in Europe another 3-4 years, develop physically and further improve, then come to the NBA. The way he is at the moment, he wouldn't be able to handle NBA level competition. Again, I'm not taking anything away from Rubio, but he's not ready to play against higher level competition, phenom or not.

#13 Mega Man

Mega Man

Mega Buster

• 415 posts

Posted August 16, 2008 - 07:31 PM

This guy got promise...give him a good mentor like Kareem to bynum and he may have an impact on the nba

Posted Image

#14 azk81

azk81

Rookie

• 831 posts

Posted August 16, 2008 - 10:01 PM

to be honest with you, i havnt seen anything special out of him yet. i could say the same with yi before he was drafted, and yi still doesnt do much these days. good players? yes. overhyped? most definetly.
“In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”

-Michael Jackson 1958-2009

Gone, Never Forgotten.

#15 Cookie

Cookie

"C" is NOT for Cookie!!

• 6,278 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 17, 2008 - 09:39 AM

imo he wasnt as great as everyone hyped him to be.

Posted Image

#16 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,689 posts

Posted August 17, 2008 - 02:11 PM

imo he wasnt as great as everyone hyped him to be.

Because of his last game?
He will be in the top 10 in the draft just as Pau if he continues to improve his game.
Posted Image

#17 sega

sega

Rookie

• 242 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Tyronn Lue

Posted August 17, 2008 - 02:23 PM

next Andre Miller

#18 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts

Posted August 17, 2008 - 02:24 PM

Because of his last game?
He will be in the top 10 in the draft just as Pau if he continues to improve his game.

Personally, even the highlights on youtube don't mean much to me considering the competition. IMO he's a bit overhyped and wasn't as amazing as some people are making him out to be.

#19 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,689 posts

Posted August 17, 2008 - 02:47 PM

Personally, even the highlights on youtube don't mean much to me considering the competition. IMO he's a bit overhyped and wasn't as amazing as some people are making him out to be.

But you say considering the competition... I can understand that he is not playing against the best NBA defense but, the ACB is the best league in europe, are you telling me they can't defend??
As I said before Pau played in europe against that "competition"...
Posted Image

#20 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,819 posts

Posted August 17, 2008 - 02:56 PM

But you say considering the competition... I can understand that he is not playing against the best NBA defense but, the ACB is the best league in europe, are you telling me they can't defend??
As I said before Pau played in europe against that "competition"...

I don't think the Euro leagues have good defense at all. Yes, Pau played in Europe against that weak competition, but he doesn't play the PG position like Rubio does, thus playing against players in the post as opposed to players on the perimeter. From the videos I've seen, Rubio can breeze by the weak perimeter D of most teams and seemingly finish at the rim with little hindrance.

If you're a PG, the competition you face is significantly different from players you'd be going up against if you were a big man. Europe doesn't have that many great PG's (from what I've seen) who can really play good defense. If Rubio did come to the NBA, he'd be going up PG's every night who are significantly better than the PG's in Europe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users