35 replies to this topic

#21 Vibe

Vibe

On top of the world

• 149 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 20, 2009 - 11:26 AM

2 points= 2 points.
As long us the make the shot or the layup i have no problem with it.

#22 Ethdude

Ethdude

Rookie

• 63 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Fan Since:1991- Jordan almost made me cry that year.

Posted March 20, 2009 - 01:28 PM

Yea Kobe did miss a dunk, I've convinced myself he must have been bumped so my image of Kobe isn't damaged. I haven't seen him blow a dunk in so long.

And there was a thread months ago about this, its legs, dunking kills them.
The best sports franchise in the world.

#23 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted March 20, 2009 - 11:32 PM

Wow, I'm really surprised no one else here shares the sentiments of the OP seemingly the way he him and I do, guess I'm the only other one apparently. It's so effin' true. Of course I already know there's gonna' be some that say, stop complaining, wha wha, blah blah.. yeah yeah.. well, I happen to have league pass and I watch a ton of other games and other teams and I know for a FACT our team does NOT dunk as much as many other teams. We go up soft way too often. I can recall so many blown layups we've had game after game after game. LO obviously misses the most, but still, other guys are responsible and guilty as well. & that 2 points is 2 points saying is a little flawed. Let me tell you some positives about dunking:

One, if you can dunk/are able to, do it, you have a great shot of making the basket for sure than just trying to lay it in. Two, even if you miss it, if you try it around people and they're close to you, you may get fouled and even if you really don't, it'll just look more violent than going up soft so sometimes the refs will assume you got fouled and call it. I've seen a ton of times players get cleanly blocked trying to dunk it, but because it looks a little more violent, the foul call is made, whereas when they go up soft and get blocked, no call is made, or at least it's much less frequent by far. I know we're not gonna' change crap sadly, but as the OP said, I'm just stating the obvious as well and my frustrations more than anything. Let me give you an example of two guys that go up strong almost all the time. Unfortunately, they're from the Celtics, but Kendrick Perkins and Leon Powe, those guys almost always try to go up and dunk it, not just lay it softly and sometimes blow layups.

#24 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted March 21, 2009 - 12:26 AM

Posted Image

Per game, #1 Denver averages less than a dunk more than we do...

Edited by daco_inc, March 21, 2009 - 12:27 AM.

#25 TheAssassin611

TheAssassin611

"The Young Assassin"

• 892 posts
  • Name:Mohammad Abdulrauf L. Lauban
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 21, 2009 - 02:15 AM

^ Nice Search Daco inc.

#26 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted March 21, 2009 - 06:31 PM

Guys notice today already? Alley oop to Pau, he tries to lay it in softly and get totally packed by Thomas, then a 3 by the Bulls on the other end. Later, Odom goes up soft as well and gets blocked by Thomas? Man. Even Stu is pointing this out often in frustration.

#27 Flash

Flash

Junior

• 283 posts

Posted March 21, 2009 - 07:17 PM

Farmar disagrees with this thread :unsure:

#28 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted March 21, 2009 - 07:19 PM

Farmar disagrees with this thread :unsure:

Thomas got owned................
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#29 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,073 posts

Posted March 21, 2009 - 07:20 PM

As long as we win I don't care.

#30 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts

Posted March 21, 2009 - 08:42 PM

This thread is an over-reaction IMO. We obviously aren't dunking less than most of the league. We're in 3rd, and that's without our #1 dunker, Drew, for half the season. Are there opportunities where we could've and should've dunked? Sure, but you'll find the same thing with every other team in the league. Even if you watch tons of other NBA games, small flaws like a "missed dunk opportunity" are more obvious for this team because you are a fan of this team. I'm sure if I watched a Cavs or Spurs or Celtics game with the intention of finding "missed dunk opportunities", I'd find them there too.

#31 Mr. Laker

Mr. Laker

Re-Signed Member

• 3,929 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Fan Since:1985 @ Birth

Posted March 21, 2009 - 09:43 PM

Wow, I'm really surprised no one else here shares the sentiments of the OP seemingly the way he him and I do, guess I'm the only other one apparently. It's so effin' true. Of course I already know there's gonna' be some that say, stop complaining, wha wha, blah blah.. yeah yeah.. well, I happen to have league pass and I watch a ton of other games and other teams and I know for a FACT our team does NOT dunk as much as many other teams. We go up soft way too often. I can recall so many blown layups we've had game after game after game. LO obviously misses the most, but still, other guys are responsible and guilty as well. & that 2 points is 2 points saying is a little flawed. Let me tell you some positives about dunking:

One, if you can dunk/are able to, do it, you have a great shot of making the basket for sure than just trying to lay it in. Two, even if you miss it, if you try it around people and they're close to you, you may get fouled and even if you really don't, it'll just look more violent than going up soft so sometimes the refs will assume you got fouled and call it. I've seen a ton of times players get cleanly blocked trying to dunk it, but because it looks a little more violent, the foul call is made, whereas when they go up soft and get blocked, no call is made, or at least it's much less frequent by far. I know we're not gonna' change crap sadly, but as the OP said, I'm just stating the obvious as well and my frustrations more than anything. Let me give you an example of two guys that go up strong almost all the time. Unfortunately, they're from the Celtics, but Kendrick Perkins and Leon Powe, those guys almost always try to go up and dunk it, not just lay it softly and sometimes blow layups.

yea when i made this thread i thought forsure that people would agree...everything you just said i completely agree with

#32 hype

hype

says hi!

• 3,739 posts

Posted March 21, 2009 - 10:04 PM

This thread is an over-reaction IMO. We obviously aren't dunking less than most of the league. We're in 3rd, and that's without our #1 dunker, Drew, for half the season. Are there opportunities where we could've and should've dunked? Sure, but you'll find the same thing with every other team in the league. Even if you watch tons of other NBA games, small flaws like a "missed dunk opportunity" are more obvious for this team because you are a fan of this team. I'm sure if I watched a Cavs or Spurs or Celtics game with the intention of finding "missed dunk opportunities", I'd find them there too.

THIS.

#33 Mr. Laker

Mr. Laker

Re-Signed Member

• 3,929 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Fan Since:1985 @ Birth

Posted March 21, 2009 - 10:11 PM

i dont want Lakers to be like the rest of the league...if they dont dunk we should it is a difference maker foul calls, free throws, momentum, and no weak [expletive].. you all can think what you want but it is a big difference maker

#34 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts

Posted March 21, 2009 - 11:12 PM

:lol: Well then all I can say is that you have to deal with it. No team out there is perfect. In retrospect and on the outside looking in, there's tons of criticisms we can make. This whole "missed dunk opportunities" are just one of many...

#35 JD

JD

Just an Old Relic

• 967 posts
  • Location:Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted March 22, 2009 - 02:23 AM

55 - 14

Big difference? :rolleyes:

So in other words, you prefer style over substance.

zombies.jpg

#36 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted March 22, 2009 - 02:27 AM

Theres always going to be missed opportunities where they could have, should have but didn't so something. It's like a shot clock violation. "They should have have chucked it, even if the other team was playing lock down deference, but they didn't"

I Call that the "Woulda, coulda shoulda, didn't" Scenario.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users