Photo

LeBron quickly taking Kobe's place as best player!

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#61 sammi24

sammi24

Rookie

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Name:sammi
  • Fan Since:since birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant.

Posted March 13, 2009 - 07:06 PM

The Kobe/Lebron debate is tired.

Kobe Bryant is the best player in the NBA and will remain so. It doesn't matter what Lebron's stats are. Lebron James could never dream of hitting the impossible shots that Kobe consistently knocks down.. Nobody in the NBA can even come close to making the shots he does. Lebron's field goal percentage comes primarily from layups, close range shots as opposed to Bryant's shots which are 20 foot fade aways with 2 people in his face.

People are so caught up in the media hype of Lebron James that they are blinded. He has many aspects of his game that desperately need work. His post game and free-throw shooting are very weak. As for being a jump shooter, he's streaky at best. Obviously Lebron has an advantage on Kobe purely because the guy is built like a freak of nature and was blessed with crazy athleticism. Lebron relies on his body to get him his points and numbers, but eventually his body will wear down and you'll see a decline (that being conditional on whether not he improves his shooting of course.) As for being a better pass, I'd have to disagree. I don't think Lebron is necessarily a better passer than Kobe, he just has better court vision. I've seen Kobe make some truly incredible passes. A big reason why Kobe doesn't average as many assists as Lebron is because of the different style of offense that the Lakers run. Also, Lebron James has better outside shooters than Kobe does on his supporting cast (Mo Williams, crazy with those three's..did you guys see the suns game??)

Lebron has disappeared in elite team games.. I saw a post on here with stats, so I won't go into detail on that.

People say Lebron is a "great defender" just because he's improved so much.. He's gone from awful defender to good defender, but is still not able to completely lock a player down like number 24 can. end of that discussion.

Finally, one more final thought.. Lakers are definitely a more talented team than the Cavs, not by much, but still better. Since Kobe is playing with a future hall of famer in Gasol, that requires Bryant to contribute less to the team. Lebron needs to put up his insane numbers.. We've already seen Kobe's insane numbers.. I guess some people forget what he's done in the past as well as what he's doing now.. Somebody on here mentioned that if Lebron was on the Lakers they'd be better than with Kobe... No..epic fail. Kobe and Lebron play different positions, number one. Also, Lebron's type of play wouldn't work with triangle offense and there would be a dilemma with Andrew Bynum clogging the lane for Lebron.

Kobe has a killer instinct that will never be matched by any player out there right now. the world will not see another Kobe Bryant for a very, very long time. Lebron is an outstanding player, but Kobe is Kobe and you just can't get any better than that.

Edited by sammi24, March 13, 2009 - 07:08 PM.

#62 shotta

shotta

Rookie

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 07:17 PM

i somewhat agree with you . but the only way that a person can really get a good idea as to who is better is by them having equal talent on each teams. ,for example a good center , star power forward ,long small foward and equaly matched point guards .

with them playing a best of seven finals game then and only then you would see who is better.

but for right now i will stick with my opinion on lebron having the edge has a player this year.

personallyi think lebron would win that matchup

#63 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 13, 2009 - 07:26 PM

i somewhat agree with you . but the only way that a person can really get a good idea as to who is better is by them having equal talent on each teams. ,for example a good center , star power forward ,long small foward and equaly matched point guards .

with them playing a best of seven finals game then and only then you would see who is better.

but for right now i will stick with my opinion on lebron having the edge has a player this year.

personallyi think lebron would win that matchup

So you're telling me that you couldn't truly tell me who the better player is between Kobe and Paul Pierce, because the teams aren't equally matched?

#64 shotta

shotta

Rookie

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 07:30 PM

The Kobe/Lebron debate is tired.

Kobe Bryant is the best player in the NBA and will remain so. It doesn't matter what Lebron's stats are. Lebron James could never dream of hitting the impossible shots that Kobe consistently knocks down.. Nobody in the NBA can even come close to making the shots he does. Lebron's field goal percentage comes primarily from layups, close range shots as opposed to Bryant's shots which are 20 foot fade aways with 2 people in his face.

People are so caught up in the media hype of Lebron James that they are blinded. He has many aspects of his game that desperately need work. His post game and free-throw shooting are very weak. As for being a jump shooter, he's streaky at best. Obviously Lebron has an advantage on Kobe purely because the guy is built like a freak of nature and was blessed with crazy athleticism. Lebron relies on his body to get him his points and numbers, but eventually his body will wear down and you'll see a decline (that being conditional on whether not he improves his shooting of course.) As for being a better pass, I'd have to disagree. I don't think Lebron is necessarily a better passer than Kobe, he just has better court vision. I've seen Kobe make some truly incredible passes. A big reason why Kobe doesn't average as many assists as Lebron is because of the different style of offense that the Lakers run. Also, Lebron James has better outside shooters than Kobe does on his supporting cast (Mo Williams, crazy with those three's..did you guys see the suns game??)

Lebron has disappeared in elite team games.. I saw a post on here with stats, so I won't go into detail on that.

People say Lebron is a "great defender" just because he's improved so much.. He's gone from awful defender to good defender, but is still not able to completely lock a player down like number 24 can. end of that discussion.

Finally, one more final thought.. Lakers are definitely a more talented team than the Cavs, not by much, but still better. Since Kobe is playing with a future hall of famer in Gasol, that requires Bryant to contribute less to the team. Lebron needs to put up his insane numbers.. We've already seen Kobe's insane numbers.. I guess some people forget what he's done in the past as well as what he's doing now.. Somebody on here mentioned that if Lebron was on the Lakers they'd be better than with Kobe... No..epic fail. Kobe and Lebron play different positions, number one. Also, Lebron's type of play wouldn't work with triangle offense and there would be a dilemma with Andrew Bynum clogging the lane for Lebron.

Kobe has a killer instinct that will never be matched by any player out there right now. the world will not see another Kobe Bryant for a very, very long time. Lebron is an outstanding player, but Kobe is Kobe and you just can't get any better than that.

the last comment of your statement i really didnt get lebron not fitting in the triangle offense . really ? with is court visions didnt pippen fit in the triangle offense and won tiles with jordan. personally i dont think bynum fit the lakers anyway he mostly comes in with the second unit.

kobe as a lock down defender ...not so much , but he is definately a good defender

impossibly shots ................Vince carter makes impossible shots yet still he is not at there level.

killer instinct yes i agree but i think lebron has been holding is own in that category, he as been winning games in 4th quarters for much of the season.

So you're telling me that you couldn't truly tell me who the better player is between Kobe and Paul Pierce, because the teams aren't equally matched?

Paul Pierce had the better team . come on we all know that..........

oh his free throw shooting has improved too at 77%
not great but not terrible /horrible has you say.

Edited by shotta, March 13, 2009 - 07:41 PM.

#65 sammi24

sammi24

Rookie

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Name:sammi
  • Fan Since:since birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant.

Posted March 13, 2009 - 07:40 PM

the last comment of your statement i really didnt get lebron not fitting in the triangle offense . really ? with is court visions didnt pippen fit in the triangle offense and won tiles with jordan. personally i dont think bynum fit the lakers anyway he mostly comes in with the second unit.

kobe as a lock down defender ...not so much , but he is definately a good defender

impossibly shots ................Vince carter makes impossible shots yet still he is not at there level.

killer instinct yes i agree but i think lebron has been holding is own in that category, he as been winning games in 4th quarters for much of the season

paul had the better team . come on we all know that

Sorry, I guess I worded that wrong. Lebron would not fit in with the way the triangle offense is being played in LA currently. Pipen and Jordan is different than Kobe and the lakers now. Lakers need Kobe's game the way it is; Lebron's game would take a lot of Bynum and Gasol's contributions away from the team. Bynum doesn't fit in? I hope you're kidding. Lakers destroy with Bynum... fail dude.. major fail.

What do you mean kobe as a lock down defender..not so much? He's one of the best at shutting people down.

Vince Carter doesn't have the dedication/work ethic Bryant has... Very few people do, actually. And I'd have to say that Kobe hits his shots more consistently than Carter, especially when crunch time comes along. How does Vince Carter have anything to do with this debate.. We're talking about Lebron here.

Yes, he beats weak eastern conference teams. you are right. Where was his killer instinct againt L.A.? He must have left it back East i guess.

#66 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 07:47 PM

Paul Pierce had the better team . come on we all know that..........

That's not the point. You said we couldn't compare two different players unless they had a similar team, similar talent surrounding them.

So we can't determine who's better out of Bryant and Pierce?

#67 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted March 13, 2009 - 07:52 PM

Ehh don't even waste your time RD. The guy's knowledge of bball is poor to say the least. The guy probably read a couple pro-LBJ articles and spent a few weeks at a cavs message board. I doubt he's watched more than a few Cavs games.

#68 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted March 13, 2009 - 07:59 PM

comparing pau and mo williams is like comparing eddy curry to tim duncan

This right here is an epic FAIL
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#69 shotta

shotta

Rookie

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:05 PM

therefore obviously the offense would have to change to fit him (lebron). for him to get to the basket. and i think it would definitely work with gasol not so much bynum.but that is not the point.

has Kobe lock down anyway centers or power forwards. .......never so how is he a lock down defender. better yet has kobe ever shut down a point guard completely .......like say iverson, Chris Paul ....no i clearly remember them using Tyrone lue in the finals for lakers against phili . for the majority of the game.

bynum does anchors the defense but clogs up the lane for gasol and kobe .

true vince carter does not have the dedication has kobe ....but i seem to recall you saying something about impossible shots . that does not make you a good player bro. all you need to do is get the ball in the basket for you to score,it does not have to be an impossibly of a shot .

kobe in my opinion makes shots look harder than they are suppose to be. just like vince carter . they both make alot of impossible shots but kobe has the edge.

in other words the degree of difficulty of a shot does not make you a great player

"Yes, he beats weak eastern conference teams. you are right. Where was his killer instinct againt L.A.? He must have left it back East i guess".

lol lol that one was funny

ok let me try ..........where was kobe's killer instinct in 2008, to win the finals

#70 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:09 PM

lmao okay...keep telling yourself that.
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#71 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:10 PM

kobe's defense is overrated by far in the media, he is just adequate for the shooting guard position and maybe some point guards . lebron has the ability to become the best defensive superstar since jordan because he can guard multiple positions. he can guard power forward down to point guards.

remmber too who makes there teammates better lebron>kobe

:lol:

Kobe lost a step on defense, but Kobe is still a better man to man defender.

LeBron against Kobe's overrated defense this year...

January 19, 2009: http://www.basketbal...0901190LAL.html

February 8, 2009: http://www.basketbal...0902080CLE.html

Your boy LeBron struggled against Kobe's overrated defense. ;)

#72 shotta

shotta

Rookie

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:12 PM

Ehh don't even waste your time RD. The guy's knowledge of bball is poor to say the least. The guy probably read a couple pro-LBJ articles and spent a few weeks at a cavs message board. I doubt he's watched more than a few Cavs games.

really and your knowledge that you have shown me of this topic is ....................0

i don't have to prove my self to you buddy i know my metal capacity and it above yours.

oh what i was saying REAL DEAL was that if Kobe had the same team has Paul Peirce the series would not have even have reached 5 games it would have been over in 4.

#73 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:16 PM

Mo Williams was a nobody before playing with LeBron? :lol:

Mo Williams averaged 17 PPG in 06-07 and 07-08.

Don't give Pau all the credit for Spain winning the silver medal, when he had other good players on his team.

How many playoff games did Mo Williams lead his team to? He wasn't even the leader of that team.

What other teammates did Pau have? Rudy Fernandez who is riding the pine for Spain?

Gasol is the clear cut leader of that team. He was a top 5 player in the whole olympics.

Mo Williams = Poor man's Jason Terry.

Pau Gasol = top 10 MVP candidate

There's no comparison at all.

Mo williams< Pau
Bynum= or < Big Z
Odom > Wallace
West> Fish
Boobie> or =farmar
Wally = or < Ariza
Sasha P> sasha V
Varejo > or = Powell
honestly, the teams are pretty even. LO is overrated by the national media, while wallace is underated...I mean the Pistons havent been to a Finals without his grit. All of Lebron's teammates fit a role in the team game....simple and plain. Basketball is way more about chemistry than it is about collecgtion of individual talent. IE Pistons> Lakers...who had four future Hall of Famers..

BTW, the only reason Pau is a hall of Famer(maybe) is his international contributions. Pau isnt dirk, or any other player who has led a NBA team deep in the playoffs, but thats another story. Also lebron has killer instinct? No, but lately he has been playing with more intensity, sorta like KG.. But Pierce has more killer instinct than ya boy.

LOL!!!!!!

Pau> Williams? No. Pau>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Williams

Pau is equally as important as Kobe and is a future HOFer. Williams will be forgotten when it's all said and done.

LeBron is the only reason why Williams is getting any attention. Other than that, he's a glorified chucker.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#74 shotta

shotta

Rookie

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:20 PM

:lol:

Kobe lost a step on defense, but Kobe is still a better man to man defender.

LeBron against Kobe's overrated defense this year...

January 19, 2009: http://www.basketbal...0901190LAL.html

February 8, 2009: http://www.basketbal...0902080CLE.html

Your boy LeBron struggled against Kobe's overrated defense. ;)

lol. and how many points did kobe make in those two games .......same amount like lebron .they actually canceled out each other. but yet still the most talented team did win. and if i recalled in both games kobe got some help from double teams on lebron so it was not solely him

#75 elpermic

elpermic

Rookie

• 1,021 posts
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:worthy, kobe, magic

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:21 PM

LeBron is playing with a cast that we once laughed at, but we are now admiring, due to his ability to maximize their abilities.

I believe LeBron's cast is sufficient as Kobe's.. Anytime you've got a great passer who can get to the rim anytime(LeBron) and supply him with quality shooters(Williams, West, Pavlovic, Illguaskas, et. al) you're going to have a deadly team. I think this year the talent level of the Cavs have been at par with the best of the league. The only significant advantage for the Lakers is their coach. I think last season there have been a significant change of outlook for the Cavs since acquiring Big Ben, Joe Smith, Delonte West and Wally Sczerbiack. If they didn't click fast that's because they didn't have the benefit of a training camp, with the training camp on their belts you see the wondrous transformation.

I'd plow Vanessa Bryant.

#76 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:23 PM

lol. and how many points did kobe make in those two games .......same amount like lebron .they actually canceled out each other. but yet still the most talented team did win. and if i recalled in both games kobe got some help from double teams on lebron so it was not solely him

Basketball is not just about points. Kobe had better overall games and the Lakers won. No, Kobe shut down Lebron, especially in the 2nd half of both games.

Go watch the games again. I'm done here. :nah:

#77 shotta

shotta

Rookie

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:30 PM

Basketball is not just about points. Kobe had better overall games and the Lakers won. No, Kobe shut down Lebron, especially in the 2nd half of both games.

Go watch the games again. I'm done here. :nah:

lol and what was kobe's other stats he barely made 2 assists and a steal . if i recall in that game especially in the 4quater they tried to trap lebron often . so yes it was not only kobe job on defense it was the teams responsibility.

#78 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:34 PM

Pau is equally as important as Kobe and is a future HOFer. Williams will be forgotten when it's all said and done.

You say that, and you also said that Bynum was just as valuable as Kobe.

You see where your Kobe hate is spewing just a little too much now? It's getting bad, as in...detrimental...to your credibility in these topics, so much that people aren't even reading some of your content anymore.

#79 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:46 PM

Pau Gasol and Mo Williams were both all star players this years.

It's not Kobe's fault he's playing with better teammates. It's not like LeBron is playing with scrubs.

Kobe is still the better. If LeBron was better than Kobe, he should be able to beat the elite teams in the NBA. Kobe also shut him down this season.

Agree^^
I wanted to add to that Both Danny Ferry and Mitch Kupchak have done a tremendous job making sure both of their teams were able to contend for their respective divisons and built around their star players. If what you're noticing is the bar that's been raised by each individual team mate of the Cavs and the Lakers in terms of play along with the facets that come along with Kobe or Lebron's game you have to definitely give it to Kobe. Lebron's defnitely not playing with scrubs and has to do more offensively and defensively because his teammates aren't able to in order to win a game. Kobe has a very insignificant difference to Lebron's numbers because his team mates make up for it. MVP? Kobe. Better all around player because his effectiveness reaches his teammates? Kobe.

If you're looking at highlights and numbers on NBA TV 'Bron would be an easy choice but with all due respect if your team's down 1 with a second left and you could give the last shot in any situation to the cavs and bron or to the lakers and Kobe, who would you give it to? There's alot of great players and I'm not taking anything away from Lebron. He's an amazing player- but Kobe played with greats and is the "80's baby" of how far this league has come since Lebron entered the game. If Lebron had Kobe's history then your post would make sense but the way I see it, you can't be the king if you've never had the throne.

#80 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:52 PM

Kobe is clutch in big games unlike LeBron. LeBron doesn't have Kobe's range on offense. Kobe is still the best player and he's still going to be the best player in a couple of years. I guess you forgot when Kobe shut down LeBron a couple of months ago.

Lakers vs Elite teams in the NBA

2-0 vs. Celtics
2-0 vs. Cavs
2-1 vs. Spurs

Go look up his stats against the Lakers from this season.

LeBron vs. Elite teams in the NBA

vs. Celtics: 9-21, 0-4 threes, 4-8 free throws, 7 boards, 6 ast, 3 TO, 22 pts
vs. Celtics: 13-25, 3-7 threes, 9-9 free throws, 7 boards, 6 ast, 3 TO, 38 pts
vs. Lakers: 9-25, 1-5 threes, 4-8 free throws, 9 boards, 4 ast, 6 TO, 23 pts
vs. Magic: 10-27, 0-2 threes, 3-6 free throws, 8 boards, 8 ast, 2 TO, 23 pts
vs. Lakers: 5-20, 2-8 threes, 4-8 free throws, 8 boards, 12 ast, 1 TO, 16 pts

Come back when LeBron improves his shooting, man to man defense, being clutch in close games against very good teams, improve his FT shooting, etc...

Stop comparing both players... it's getting old.

Thats what i was going to say. Shotta u gotta shut up. Know ur facts before u post.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users