• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 12, 2009 - 11:38 PM

PHOENIX -- There might be some salvation for the "crab dribble" after all.

In response to increased scrutiny in recent years, the NBA is examining rewriting its traveling rules as soon as next season. It may include allowing for two steps, not one as currently written, and possibly even a provision for LeBron James' famous, or infamous, depending on your perspective, crab-dribble move.

"We're working on it," Joe Borgia, NBA's vice president of referee operations, told the ESPN.com blog Truehoop recently.

"Our traveling rule we've been discussing for a couple of years," he said. "The game has evolved. I don't think the rule has evolved since the time of Bob Cousy. But we're also going to probably share it with the NCAA and maybe FIBA, because it would be nice if we could all come up with a similar rule. A similar rule would be great for the players, the coaches, and the officials."

The news that the league is considering clarifying the rule, which gets violated and called differently all season long, was received with satisfaction from James. Though players have been allowed two steps in practice for many years, James has been caught in controversial traveling situations numerous times in his career.

The most focus has been on James' jump-stop move, which he's been perfecting since high school. Sometimes he travels and gets away with it, sometimes he executes it properly and still gets called for traveling.

"That would be good, I could get my move back," James said of the potential rule changes. "They stole my move. I've gotten used to knowing that you have to land on two feet."

Traveling is a hot-button topic for NBA fans, especially when watching players like James and Miami's Dwyane Wade. Because of his speed and the length of his stride, James can often cover large distances and change possession without dribbling.

"Sometimes it is called right and sometimes it isn't, but they'll figure it out," James said.

http://www.cleveland..._to_hear_n.html

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 purple_and_gold_fever

purple_and_gold_fever

Sixth Man

• 3,817 posts

Posted March 12, 2009 - 11:47 PM

oh hell no. this is BS. the crabdribble is a freakin travel. this would be a stupid move if it goes down. next thing you know, you wouldn't have to dribble at all. they're going to allow crabdribbling which is three steps.. then they're going to allow something that takes 4 steps.. then 5 steps.. then next thing you know, it'd be rugby.

#3 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted March 12, 2009 - 11:51 PM

Stern has no choice... ESPN and Mike Brown has been calling his office since the crab dribble incident...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#4 intense

intense

Rookie

• 91 posts
  • Name:Leif
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 13, 2009 - 01:06 AM

This is stupid! Just because Lebron can't dribble doesn't mean they should allow his superstar status to change the way the game is played.

David Stern is a moron if he lets this rule through.

#5 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 13, 2009 - 01:08 AM

Proves once again LBJ = NBA Golden Child.
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#6 Shade

Shade

Dunk like Machine! Bynum loves DESTROY!!

• 538 posts
  • Fan Since:FOREEEVERRR!!
  • Fav. Laker:Bynum, KB, Sasha and everyone!

Posted March 13, 2009 - 04:10 AM

"That would be good, I could get my move back," James said of the potential rule changes. "They stole my move. I've gotten used to knowing that you have to land on two feet."

Psshh that move is illegal and he shouldnt be using that "move" of his <_<

/\
Vap is amazing

Drummer
Saxophonist
Guitarist

#7 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 05:51 AM

That's so cute. It's legal b/c LBJ does it I guess.

#8 intense

intense

Rookie

• 91 posts
  • Name:Leif

Posted March 13, 2009 - 06:23 AM

That is straight up bull CARAP.
Screw Lebron. He needs rules changed just so he can play, honestly lebron can play, but he cannot dribble, you cannot take 2 steps after a hopstep, which is his apparent "CRAP DRIBBLE" when he does a hesitation dribble then a hop step and take 2 steps.

After a hop step, that counts as 2 steps cuz u land on 2 feet, u cannot take 2 more steps, thats called a travel bruh. If the NBA change the rules, thats just plain stupid, the David Stern should realise by now, after the olympics happened that Kobe is the more marketable player in the world then Lebron, D-Wade and LBJ were pissed and found out the hard way, that they are nothing compared to Kobe superstar status!

#9 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,084 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 06:44 AM

Thank you so much Lebron. <_<

#10 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,561 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 09:34 AM

nba is wack....BUT I CANT STOP WATCHIN IT! lol

bw1wOGf.png

#11 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,319 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted March 13, 2009 - 09:43 AM

This is stupid! Just because Lebron can't dribble doesn't mean they should allow his superstar status to change the way the game is played.

Amen to that.

#12 LAKERS_14th

LAKERS_14th

Rookie

• 96 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Black Mamba & BYNUM

Posted March 13, 2009 - 02:12 PM

this is retarded. lebron doesnt have a move; the crab dribble IS NOT A MOVE...its travelling. how many players in this league would be much better with an extra step?! the greats were greats with the same travelling rule...if lebron cannot follow the rule then he is not as great as them (thats kinda an overstatement, but in regards to this rule...hell no!)
BOSTON SUCKS!!!

#13 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,919 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted March 13, 2009 - 02:32 PM

The crab dribble has been a legal dribble forever now. It's actually a drop step, dribble, that allows you to determine your pivot foot seemingly late (after that initial dribble).

LeBron added an extra step in it, and if they change the rule to include that extra step, they have to change the traveling rule to three full steps.

This article is stupid. Half of these guys who write stuff like this just don't know their basketball. The crab dribble is already legal.

#14 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted March 13, 2009 - 02:37 PM

David Stern is the only one out of all three sports to turn the NBA into a globally recognized brand. MLB and NFL cannot say the same thing.

David Stern is a moron? No. David Stern is a GENIUS. The guy has taken the game to soaring popularity. To say otherwise is ridiculous.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#15 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted March 13, 2009 - 02:58 PM

Crab rule?

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.