• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 azk81

azk81

Rookie

• 831 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 12, 2009 - 10:33 PM

i like ariza off the bench. we need more passers in the starting lineup IMO. kobe pau lamar and trevor, the only person left to distribute the ball or make the extra pass would be derek fisher, as opposed to a go-to squad of kobe pau and lamar with luke and derek moving the ball. added on to the fact that the bench mob can play some full court basketball with trevor, jordy, and josh powell.

Edited by azk81, March 12, 2009 - 10:35 PM.

“In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”

-Michael Jackson 1958-2009

Gone, Never Forgotten.

#22 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:52 AM

How many minutes did Ariza play in the fourth tonight? That might be why we were letting up on the Spurs, and were only up two.

Walton doesn't play defense, so stick him out there with the others that don't. We have a starting five that does everything on both sides of the ball, and runs the triangle, and then we have a backup five or six that wants to Phoenix Sun you to death by running up and down the court and trying to score off of threes and layups.

Out of our bench players (because all of them are bench players on most teams in the NBA), Walton is the only one capable of running an offense. Understanding the offense doesn't necessarily mean you play it well, though, so Walton gets his best in there when he's playing with the bench, against other bench players.

Smart move. Thank you, Luke.

So you're saying that Luke didn't have a good game? Why are you so convinced that "Walton doesn't play defense"? Is this something that you can point to when you watch the games or are you making it up as you go along? Or are you so stubborn to admit that he's an obvious asset to the team whatever role he is on that you harp on posts like this for the sake of trying to prove your own point? Ariza benefits by having the solid core of starters around him. Our young players off bench benefit by having Luke's calming presence around them.

And this comment: "Understanding the offense doesn't necessarily mean you play it well, though, so Walton gets his best in there when he's playing with the bench, against other bench players" is well flat out _ _ _ _ _ _.

#23 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,235 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 01:18 PM

luke jumped up a few notches in my book

anyone who is starting for a championship caliber team and requests to be benched because he feels he could help the bench more than the starters should be applauded

you would never see anyone else on this team do that

most unselfish thing i have seen in years in any sport
Posted Image

#24 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,881 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 13, 2009 - 01:48 PM

So you're saying that Luke didn't have a good game? Why are you so convinced that "Walton doesn't play defense"? Is this something that you can point to when you watch the games or are you making it up as you go along? Or are you so stubborn to admit that he's an obvious asset to the team whatever role he is on that you harp on posts like this for the sake of trying to prove your own point? Ariza benefits by having the solid core of starters around him. Our young players off bench benefit by having Luke's calming presence around them.

And this comment: "Understanding the offense doesn't necessarily mean you play it well, though, so Walton gets his best in there when he's playing with the bench, against other bench players" is well flat out _ _ _ _ _ _.

So you come back and still forget to read full posts? I said good for Luke, he belongs on the bench, he facilitates from that role, and he doesn't need to start. He plays best against bench players because he's a bench player.

He doesn't play defense because it shows in the game. When he plays the four, he's allowing nearly 57% shooting, 48% from the SF position. For a guy that doesn't roam on defense, that's not good. If you watch the game, and you say you do, then you'd know that when he absolutely has to rotate, he's almost always late. It never fails. And because he's not giving us 30 points per night (giving us about 12 per 48 minutes, allowing over 20), then he's not helping us much in the starting five.

Walton is a bench player. He doesn't play defense. He's an excellent passer and knows the triangle better than 90% of this team. But, because that's all he gives us most of the time, he belongs on the bench.

Stop whining when people blast your beloved Lakers. Not every single Laker is starting material. Ariza plays above-average defense, and because Fisher gives up a lot of points, and because we don't have Bynum in the paint to anchor our defense, Ariza needs to start. Otherwise, the game stays close the entire time, and we struggle to finish, as we've done all season long, especially against teams we underestimate.

#25 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted March 13, 2009 - 06:02 PM

So you come back and still forget to read full posts? I said good for Luke, he belongs on the bench, he facilitates from that role, and he doesn't need to start. He plays best against bench players because he's a bench player.

He doesn't play defense because it shows in the game. When he plays the four, he's allowing nearly 57% shooting, 48% from the SF position. For a guy that doesn't roam on defense, that's not good. If you watch the game, and you say you do, then you'd know that when he absolutely has to rotate, he's almost always late. It never fails. And because he's not giving us 30 points per night (giving us about 12 per 48 minutes, allowing over 20), then he's not helping us much in the starting five.

Walton is a bench player. He doesn't play defense. He's an excellent passer and knows the triangle better than 90% of this team. But, because that's all he gives us most of the time, he belongs on the bench.

Stop whining when people blast your beloved Lakers. Not every single Laker is starting material. Ariza plays above-average defense, and because Fisher gives up a lot of points, and because we don't have Bynum in the paint to anchor our defense, Ariza needs to start. Otherwise, the game stays close the entire time, and we struggle to finish, as we've done all season long, especially against teams we underestimate.

Walton was a starter on a playoff team b4, and that team was a top 12 team in the league at that point. How have we struggled to finish? As much basketball as you say you watch, how can u not realize that A) Basketball is a game of runs, and 2) You dont blowout teams like the Spurs on their homecourt. If Phil(the greatest coach EVER) believes in Luke, why cant you. everyone cant be a great player like Kobe. And I rememeber TP hitting jumpers(unexpectedly) as why the Lakers gave most of the lead away. But whats funny is teams give away most of the leads when we lose. its called parity...be realistic, this isnt the GTOAT, its just a champioinship calibur squad
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#26 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,881 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 07:00 PM

Walton was a starter on a playoff team b4, and that team was a top 12 team in the league at that point. How have we struggled to finish? As much basketball as you say you watch, how can u not realize that A) Basketball is a game of runs, and 2) You dont blowout teams like the Spurs on their homecourt. If Phil(the greatest coach EVER) believes in Luke, why cant you. everyone cant be a great player like Kobe. And I rememeber TP hitting jumpers(unexpectedly) as why the Lakers gave most of the lead away. But whats funny is teams give away most of the leads when we lose. its called parity...be realistic, this isnt the GTOAT, its just a champioinship calibur squad

Smush Parker was also a starter on that same playoff team. Are you going to tell me anything good about Smush Parker? :rolleyes:

Basketball isn't a game of scoring runs, it's a game of consistency. If you want to win a championship, you don't go on scoring runs (like the Suns, Mavs and Kings used to do), you stay consistent with your offense and defense, and you beat teams through four quarters, or just blow them out from the start, and never look back.

Apparently, Phil Jackson still believes in Sasha, and he also believed in Kwame enough to continue playing him when he was on our team. And I believe in Walton enough for him to come off the bench and facilitate. That's all.

Hell, Phil Jackson believed in Radmanovic, but now we're all glad he's gone, because he's a sorry defender, and all he did was camp outside the three. But, but, but...Phil believed in him for the longest time, didn't he?

Tony Parker was getting what he wanted because our two point guards suck on defense, like I said a long time ago, and because when Luke Walton is on the floor, there are more threats at the forward and guard positions (depending on who he's defending).

There's a reason why many Lakers fans gave him the name Puke Walton.

#27 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted March 13, 2009 - 07:06 PM

Smush Parker was also a starter on that same playoff team. Are you going to tell me anything good about Smush Parker? :rolleyes:

Basketball isn't a game of scoring runs, it's a game of consistency. If you want to win a championship, you don't go on scoring runs (like the Suns, Mavs and Kings used to do), you stay consistent with your offense and defense, and you beat teams through four quarters, or just blow them out from the start, and never look back.

Apparently, Phil Jackson still believes in Sasha, and he also believed in Kwame enough to continue playing him when he was on our team. And I believe in Walton enough for him to come off the bench and facilitate. That's all.

Hell, Phil Jackson believed in Radmanovic, but now we're all glad he's gone, because he's a sorry defender, and all he did was camp outside the three. But, but, but...Phil believed in him for the longest time, didn't he?

Tony Parker was getting what he wanted because our two point guards suck on defense, like I said a long time ago, and because when Luke Walton is on the floor, there are more threats at the forward and guard positions (depending on who he's defending).

There's a reason why many Lakers fans gave him the name Puke Walton.

Basketball IS A GAME OF RUNS. its not about teams, or being a high powered offense. its a game of RUNS. many know that, just not you
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#28 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,881 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 07:11 PM

Basketball IS A GAME OF RUNS. its not about teams, or being a high powered offense. its a game of RUNS. many know that, just not you

Not about teams, huh? Haha, okay. :lol:

#29 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted March 13, 2009 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for picking up for me here. Our Administrator probably thinks Shane Battier sucks, too, because I think he looks at box scores while the games are being played. A friend of mine in Reno who hates the Lakers watched the game last night and his first comment was about how well Luke Walton played. Unbelievable that Real Deal can call himself a Lakers fan and at the same time call Luke "Puke Walton." Koby-Gas, it's a shame that our Administrator makes me want to vomit. He probably wishes we still had Buzz Kill.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, March 13, 2009 - 09:09 PM.

#30 Moos

Moos

Rookie

• 82 posts
  • Fan Since:1968
  • Fav. Laker:Chamberlain

Posted March 13, 2009 - 09:20 PM

Happy belated birthday Ken #1 Beloved.

#31 Eternal

Eternal

Waiting For The End

• 1,245 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 09:27 PM

Runs are part of the game... but it's not a game based on runs like your trying to make it sound. It's about consistency... like Real Deal already said.

The only kind of defense Walton plays is a terrible defense. If you are trying to argue Walton is a good defender, your just not watching the games.

Edited by Eternal, March 13, 2009 - 09:29 PM.

#32 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,881 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for picking up for me here. Our Administrator probably thinks Shane Battier sucks, too, because I think he looks at box scores while the games are being played. A friend of mine in Reno who hates the Lakers watched the game last night and his first comment was about how well Luke Walton played. Unbelievable that Real Deal can call himself a Lakers fan and at the same time call Luke "Puke Walton." Koby-Gas, it's a shame that our Administrator makes me want to vomit. He probably wishes we still had Buzz Kill.

Goodnight.

For the record, Radmanovic sucks. I would've bought him out if I were Buss.

And Shane Battier is a top five or six defensive player in the NBA, because of his high defensive awareness and his IQ. Horrible offensive player, though.

Above all that, Luke still sucks on defense, and belongs on the bench, facilitating.

#33 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted March 13, 2009 - 10:21 PM

You banned him on his birthday.

Real is cold-blooded. :lol:

#34 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,881 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 11:11 PM

You banned him on his birthday.

Real is cold-blooded. :lol:

It's more memorable that way.

#35 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,235 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 11:15 PM

It's more memorable that way.

Real Deal FTW :rock:
Posted Image

#36 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Sedalle Threatt

Posted March 14, 2009 - 03:27 PM

I was going to comment that Real Deal and Ken were actually in violent agreement, but I guess that point is moot now. Real Deal is the Joey Crawford of admins. Quick whistle.

#37 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted March 14, 2009 - 03:29 PM

I was going to comment that Real Deal and Ken were actually in violent agreement, but I guess that point is moot now. Real Deal is the Joey Crawford of admins. Quick whistle.

Do you want to join him?

#38 shotta

shotta

Rookie

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted March 14, 2009 - 03:29 PM

luke jumped up a few notches in my book

anyone who is starting for a championship caliber team and requests to be benched because he feels he could help the bench more than the starters should be applauded

you would never see anyone else on this team do that

most unselfish thing i have seen in years in any sport

i have manu ginobli

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users