28 replies to this topic

#1 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Horry, Van Exel

Posted March 11, 2009 - 12:06 PM

Reporting from Houston -- Lamar Odom walked off the court today, dripping sweat, after the Lakers' afternoon shoot-around.

It's the only exercise the power forward will get today, unfortunately for the Lakers.

Odom was suspended by the NBA for tonight's game against the Houston Rockets because he took a few steps toward a scuffle that evolved in front of the Lakers' bench Monday against Portland.

A day after the ruling was handed down by league disciplinarian Stu Jackson, Odom was not thrilled.

"I probably would do the same thing over again if I see one of my teammates put under pressure by two guys from the other team," Odom said today, his first comments since the suspension was announced. "I was no further than when I cheer. I guess I'm on the court when I cheer as well, so I've got to watch that. I might get suspended for that."

http://www.latimes.c...0,2902017.story

Bleeding purple & gold...

#2 lili

lili

Off The Bench

• 1,597 posts

Posted March 11, 2009 - 12:11 PM

i agree with lamar on this one, trevor was all alone with 2 blazers all over him, no other laker was stepping up, well, josh did, it was hard for them to get where trevor and roy and aldridge were. so lamar had to defend his teammate.

i'm proud of lamar, it was not smart because he got suspended,but he is a great teammate.

the nba needed to look at the circumstances.

#3 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 11, 2009 - 12:12 PM

They should actually implement a rule about opposing players going to the other teams benches.

#4 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 11, 2009 - 12:24 PM

LO is an idgit.

It's a rule for a reason. This isn't Desert Storm and he's not Chuck Norris.

He does it again, he's suspended, again. How's that helping your teammates, Chief?

THINK Lamar Odom. Sometimes, it's ok to lose the battle to win the WAR!!!!!!!

#5 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted March 11, 2009 - 12:37 PM

Odom just shut up. Now they'll pay attention to you every game.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#6 lili

lili

Off The Bench

• 1,597 posts

Posted March 11, 2009 - 12:49 PM

They should actually implement a rule about opposing players going to the other teams benches.

yes, they should do that, because that's what the blazers did, they went to the lakers bench and they started the 'fight'

Edited by lili, March 11, 2009 - 12:50 PM.

#7 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,351 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted March 11, 2009 - 01:12 PM

Oh c'mon... A rule is a rule, but I don't think it was fair in this situation. The event happened right in front of the Lakers bench and 2 guys were going towards Trevor. So what should've Lamar done ? Just stand and watch ? And he didn't hit or insult anybody... He was just trying to protect Ariza. What would you do in this situation ? I think that Lamar did the right think and this rule needs to be changed.

P.S. I understand if the event happened on the other side of the court and Lamar rushed down the court to interact, but...

#8 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts

Posted March 11, 2009 - 01:27 PM

I don't mind what he said. The Blazers players went near the Lakers bench and got in Ariza's face and Powell was the only other one to step up to them. And honestly, Odom hardly moved (but rules are rules). I'm glad he's stepping up for his teammates. He says he would do the same thing again because in his mind, he didn't do anything wrong. If it was something that happened on the other side of the court, I really don't think Odom's about to run over there and do anything unless he was actually in the game at the time of the incident.

#9 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted March 11, 2009 - 01:35 PM

Oh c'mon... A rule is a rule, but I don't think it was fair in this situation. The event happened right in front of the Lakers bench and 2 guys were going towards Trevor. So what should've Lamar done ? Just stand and watch ? And he didn't hit or insult anybody... He was just trying to protect Ariza. What would you do in this situation ? I think that Lamar did the right think and this rule needs to be changed.

P.S. I understand if the event happened on the other side of the court and Lamar rushed down the court to interact, but...

Whatever. This was anyone else but LO and you would NOT say that.

Don't get like Jeff van Gundy...changing rules to fit him. Next, you gonna be sayin' LO should never get called for a flagrant foul because he NEVER intends to hurt anyone?

It doesn't work like that. Just because a person is your favorite player, that doesn't give you license to interpret rules differently. He broke a rule that was clear and fair. DON'T leave the bench in an altercation.

If it's ok for LO to do, soon, ALL of the players will claim it's their RIGHT to protect THEIR teammate.

If anything, I can see a BLAZER player over-reacting to a HORRIBLE looking foul late in a game where they are blowing us out which could be interpreted as frustration for the beatdown we were receiving. That would deserve consideration...

Not LO's "Dirty Harry" impression.

#10 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted March 11, 2009 - 01:39 PM

I don't mind what he said. The Blazers players went near the Lakers bench and got in Ariza's face and Powell was the only other one to step up to them. And honestly, Odom hardly moved (but rules are rules). I'm glad he's stepping up for his teammates. He says he would do the same thing again because in his mind, he didn't do anything wrong. If it was something that happened on the other side of the court, I really don't think Odom's about to run over there and do anything unless he was actually in the game at the time of the incident.

Near is not on.

That's where the foul happened. That's the ONLY reason they were "near" the bench. What? You want them to wait til Ariza comes back to the other side of the court?

Then, LO's excuse would have been "my teammate was surrounded and I feared for his well-being. I went over there to pull him out of there and even the odds".

It never ends!

If this was Artest, most of you would be calling for a 10 game suspension.

#11 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts
  • Fan Since:1966

Posted March 11, 2009 - 03:16 PM

A rule is a rule and if they would suspend the Suns players in playoffs you had to know this was coming. I just wish Roy had been suspended too for going down there and starting this mess. As I said in another post, I don't look it as Trevor was one who started it. I think Roy did. Lamar has put LA in a real bind tonight though, that much is for sure.

Edited by Pau16Kobe24Drew17, March 11, 2009 - 03:17 PM.

#12 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 11, 2009 - 03:22 PM

The rule sucks, but I accepted it as a rule a long time ago. I understand it. My question is, how can a guy who takes 3-4 steps off the bench to help a teammate who's being punked by 2 others, warrant a suspension more than the guy who started the altercation?? It was a hard foul by a player who's not dirty. If Roy doesn't get all Jailblazer on us and go at Trevor, none of this happens. Why have we heard nothing about a penalty for Roy?

#13 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts
  • Name:WILL.I.AM
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba

Posted March 11, 2009 - 03:34 PM

I got this Gut feeling that LTV stressed on it so much airing it on T.V again and again that the NBA was forced to suspend him.

If we would of been quiet about it maybe the NBA would of not noticed?!??!!??

Ahh well gotta move on and figure out a way to beat Houston with out him
Posted Image

#14 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted March 11, 2009 - 03:57 PM

That is probably the most bull shiiiit rule in the book.

Posted Image

#15 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted March 11, 2009 - 03:58 PM

F Brandon Roy.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#16 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted March 11, 2009 - 04:14 PM

F Aldridge too..

#17 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,335 posts

Posted March 11, 2009 - 04:15 PM

oh lamar how you slay me
Posted Image

#18 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 11, 2009 - 04:35 PM

Lamar will play his best game this season on April 10, 2009. Book it.

#19 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts

Posted March 11, 2009 - 04:37 PM

I got this Gut feeling that LTV stressed on it so much airing it on T.V again and again that the NBA was forced to suspend him.

If we would of been quiet about it maybe the NBA would of not noticed?!??!!??

Ahh well gotta move on and figure out a way to beat Houston with out him

It's not like LTV was the only one talking about. It was on SportsCenter about half an hour after it happened.

#20 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted March 11, 2009 - 04:39 PM

That rule is horrible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users