Despite Lakers' record, Tex Winter is concerned

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lili

lili

Off The Bench

• 1,597 posts

Posted March 09, 2009 - 09:59 PM

Reporting from Portland, Ore. -- Tex Winter paused to gather his thoughts before offering his analysis of how the Lakers are playing.

Winter, the Lakers' basketball consultant, had come to watch them play the Portland Trail Blazers on Monday night, to see for himself in what direction they were headed

The Lakers came in with the best record in the NBA, 50-12, but Winter still saw troubling signs. And that was before the Trail Blazers routed them, 111-94.

"I feel like our record is a whole lot better than how we've played," Winter, who lives in Portland with his wife, Nancy, said before the game. "I don't think we're playing nearly as good as our record indicates."

The Lakers won their first seven games and 14 of their first 15. They have yet to lose more than two consecutive games.

But they are in the midst of playing 10 of 13 games on the road, including at Houston on Wednesday and San Antonio on Thursday.

In Winter's eyes, the first three months of the season, which had the Lakers playing 29 of their first 46 games at Staples Center, has the potential to hurt the team because the schedule is so back-loaded with road games.

"I'm amazed at the record we've got," Winter said. "I see a lot of warts on this team. I think we got off to a good start. I think our schedule is going to get tougher."

link

listen to tex, he said the same thing last year and he was right...i think he is right. the lakers win on pure talent and not effort, and those are not good habits.

Edited by lili, March 09, 2009 - 10:00 PM.

#2 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 09, 2009 - 10:57 PM

The most important thing is the defensive end of the court. That's why the Lakers can't get to the top spot of Hollingers rankings (like we care) or hold on to big leads. They also don't focus.

But who cares? Great record, right?

Let's just hope we bounce back. I think we will.

#3 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 09, 2009 - 11:03 PM

Tex, it was just ONE GAME.

Stop being an idiot and a pessimist, like me.

#4 lili

lili

Off The Bench

• 1,597 posts

Posted March 09, 2009 - 11:10 PM

Tex, it was just ONE GAME.

Stop being an idiot and a pessimist, like me.

you are being sarcastic, right?

in case you are not...did you read the article? he said that before the game not after...he is joda according to kobe, so it would be a good idea to listen to him.

#5 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 09, 2009 - 11:17 PM

you are being sarcastic, right?

in case you are not...did you read the article? he said that before the game not after...he is joda according to kobe, so it would be a good idea to listen to him.

I've been saying what Tex has since our first few losses, and realizing we never fixed what ailed us last season.

#6 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Horry, Van Exel

Posted March 09, 2009 - 11:19 PM

He's right - we haven't been playing as well as our record shows lately. But don't take that into meaning we're still not a great team and are very likely to go back to the Finals and possibly win it.

Bleeding purple & gold...

#7 lili

lili

Off The Bench

• 1,597 posts

Posted March 09, 2009 - 11:20 PM

I've been saying what Tex has since our first few losses, and realizing we never fixed what ailed us last season.

since i'm fairly new and i don't read a lot of the posts, i was not sure. but yeah, the team basically is the same team that they were last year. maybe andrew will help, maybe he won't.

like i said, they are winning on talent alone and on being better than most teams, but without effort and heart, which translates into defense, they won't win it .

#8 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 09, 2009 - 11:22 PM

a shake up in the starting lineup is desperately needed

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#9 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are