Ariza won't be suspended, Odom suspended for one game

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#101 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 04:57 PM

It can be said for any team's bandwagon fans, Lakers included. When we sucked the years after Shaq, I swallowed the pride pill.

#102 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted March 10, 2009 - 05:02 PM

It can be said for any team's bandwagon fans, Lakers included. When we sucked the years after Shaq, I swallowed the pride pill.

This is why many people dont like lakers fans. How did we suck, when we made the playoffs 2 of those years. Sure we didnt have a shot to win a title. but despite the cliche, a title isnt everything. We stayed relevant and beat good teams with one superstar and a star. The Lakers only sucked when rudy t left and Kobe shut it down for the season

it should be added that teams who rebuild, never recover as quickly as we did
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#103 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 05:55 PM

It does all point to the rules being a little messed up.

I'm fine with the bench rule. Odom violated it, and should take his medicine. It screwed with the Suns in the play-offs two years ago; so really, we shouldn't be surprised in the least.

But, what is still messed up is that woofing and even pushing and shoving is allowed, if you are already on the court, with no repercussions, if the refs decide to let it go.

In the Odom situation, it could actually be argued that he was stopping the fight from potentially spilling into the crowd, by stepping forward and keeping his teammate from falling backwards.
I am in no way saying that Odom didn't violate the rule, and that he doesn't deserve a suspension based upon that rule; but, what I am saying is that situations like this show a flaw in the league's rule and the way punishment is applied.

I agree wholeheartedly. The rule makes no sense. It started off with good intentions, so fights wouldn't escalate, but we can see that it's stupid. Why not just judge based off of what's going on, if they're actually fighting or if they're trying to stop one... you know using human judgment... instead of still having this dumb rule where one step onto the court from the bench is an automatic suspension. We have seen that it doesn't make sense.

But as of now, it is the rule, and therefore I knew Odom was gonna be suspended.

I love you Imadogg :wub:

Awww <3

#104 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 10, 2009 - 08:46 PM

Well i'm glad Ariza wasn't suspended because it wasn't as dirty as people are making it out to be. Like every other hard foul in the NBA, if an injury occurs, then the perception of the play is actually worse then it actually was sometimes.

I for one was glad to see a hard foul given. Shows the Lakers actually have some sort of male genitalia.

#105 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,777 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 10, 2009 - 10:56 PM

Does it matter? LO got what he deserved, being a vet and breaking a rule that is clear. If Kobe did the same thing, I'd want him suspended. Ariza made a good play on the ball but got tto much head.

This is a non-issue that Lakers fans should agree with and move on.

#106 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted March 11, 2009 - 03:30 AM

if lamar is suspended, brandon roy needs to be suspended, if you look at the video, roy got in lamar's face, on the lakers' bench, he was the one that started everything, he should be suspended.

here's trevor http://www.cbs2.com/...cbs.dayport.com stupid portland reporters, asking if he doesn't feel bad...like trevor says, it's basketball. trevor was going for the ball. trevor should not be suspended, and brandon roy should be given a T or a suspension for starting the fight.

He's the leader of his team, it's his job to defend his teammates. If that had been Kobe everyone would be calling him a hero.
Basketball Reasons...

#107 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted March 11, 2009 - 10:48 AM

Trev would of knocked out Roy.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#108 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted March 11, 2009 - 11:41 AM

Trev would of knocked out Roy.

co sign. Trev woulda laid that punk out cold

#109 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 10:05 AM

http://msn.foxsports...-up-with-Lakers

I thoroughly disagree with the referees' decision to call Trevor Ariza for a Flagrant II foul on the contact between him and Rudy Fernandez the other day. Even worse was the league office's affirmation of the call after they had the chance to view and review the game tape

Here's how I saw that controversial play:

Fernandez drove hard to the basket, lifted off his left foot, and looked for a shot. He must have had at least a glimpse of Ariza's closing in on him for several reasons:

# Uncontested straight up-and-down layups are extremely rare except on breakaways.

# Nate McMillan, and every other elite coach in the NBA, forever emphasizes court vision.

# If Fernandez didn't have extraordinary peripheral vision he wouldn't be playing in the NBA.

How, then, does an already airborne player react when a defender has him in his sights? By adjusting his shot release to protect the ball — and the most sensible adjustment is to somehow shield the ball with his body.

This is elementary basketball. Something that even schoolyard hoopers understand. Something that NBA-caliber players take as a matter of course.

Show the ball, then take it away.

So here comes Ariza, zeroing in on the ball and looking to block the shot or at least foul Fernandez hard enough so that he has to score the two points from the stripe. While Ariza was aloft, he threw his hand at the ball — or at where the ball was when he initiated his attack.

Knowing beforehand that he'd have to do something to avoid getting his shot blocked, Fernandez was able to make his adjustment in a flash. Meanwhile, Ariza was in a strictly reactive mode and therefore couldn't keep up with Fernandez's move.

WHAM!

Instead of hitting the ball — which was clearly his objective — Ariza hit Fernandez in the head. Had Fernandez taken a simple, unadorned layup, his shot would have been smacked.

Unfortunately, Fernandez had a bad fall and had to be taken off the court on a stretcher. The fall, however, had nothing to do with Ariza's intent. But the fall was the real reason why he was tagged with a Flagrant II and banished from the game.

This is a pattern that has been constant ever since the gradations of flagrant fouls were instituted. Regardless of the contact — even when an erstwhile shot-blocker's hand slides off the ball and hits the shooter's head — any kind of awkward post-foul tumble results in a flagrant foul being called.

On Odom's suspension...

By the way, I have no problem with Lamar Odom getting suspended one game for leaving the bench after Ariza's foul amid the resulting skirmish. There's nothing wrong with the Bench Vicinity rule. There have been sufficient precedents for players to understand what they're not supposed to do when a scuffle breaks out on the court.

And if a subsequent game — or even a series — is lost because of an ensuing suspension, that's just too bad. Rules are rules. Just because the rule is frequently broken doesn't mean it's a bad rule.

The onus is on the players, not on the rule itself. And besides, discipline and personal responsibility are qualities that are just as important to NBA players as being able to hit jump shots.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#110 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 10:11 AM

I just read that on Foxsports. Very interesting take on the play.

#111 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted March 13, 2009 - 10:12 AM

I bring this up because Bron elbowed J-rich in the head on that 360 dunk block last night and nothin was called because J-Rich didn't have a bad fall.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users