110 replies to this topic

#41 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,395 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 10, 2009 - 05:25 AM

It was dangerous.

Ariza wouldn't have gone in that hard if we were winning. He was fustrated and swung dangerously at Rudy.

Not the dirtiest thing in the world, but definitely not clean.

Give me a break. Ariza would have gone hard on that type of play regardless of the score.

#42 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,056 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 05:37 AM

Some whack [expletive] happened tonight.

i know rite? =\ byyyy far the worst game ive seen this season. so much shiznit <_<

#43 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 06:17 AM

Give me a break. Ariza would have gone hard on that type of play regardless of the score.

He would have gone hard, but he wouldn't have gone recklessly.

I don't understand why Lakers fans always feel the need to defend their players. The rest of the league can see it was reckless, why can't Laker fans?
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#44 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 08:24 AM

THIS PLAY BY DWHISTLE IS WORSE

No foul called

The only difference between this and Ariza's play is Hill did a better job of landing than Rudy and of course the refs letting the contact slide by

Edited by MDI, March 10, 2009 - 08:27 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#45 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 10, 2009 - 08:45 AM

kobe shoulda got in roy's face
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#46 Master Zen

Master Zen

Rookie

• 482 posts
  • Name:Hugues
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Ron Artest

Posted March 10, 2009 - 08:48 AM

He doesn't deserve a suspension. He just played the ball, tried to block. That's all , he did'nt want to hurt him. Even a flagrant 2 is too big. Just take a look at Glen Davis foul on Varejao friday... If Ariza is suspended 1 game for this, Davis sould be 3 games

#47 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,934 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted March 10, 2009 - 08:52 AM

Actually, Darth Bynumite, I just heard Tim Legler wisely note that Ariza' play was not dirty.

He said that it was a hard foul, and while he agreed with the decision to give the F-2, he did not feel that the play warranted any further discipline.

Legler may not be the best commentator out there; but, at least he played the game, and when he discussed the play, he talked about the reality of what happens when two guys collide in the air.

Separately, as far as Odom, goes, I fully expect him to get suspended for stepping forward the way he did. There is no penance for "peacemakers" in an NBA fight, even though, had Odom not moved forward, the skirmish very well could've spilled over right into his lap.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#48 Smoove

Smoove

Filipindian

• 5,269 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted March 10, 2009 - 09:04 AM

this league has become soft this stuff happened all the time back in the day and people do not know when to make up their mind. they say we are a soft team. so after a hard foul they call it a cheapshot. and we all know ariza is one of the nicest guys on the team. he wouldn't go headhunting for anyone. especially rudy fernandez of all people.

Edited by Smoove, March 10, 2009 - 09:04 AM.

Posted Image

"To whom much is given much is tested."

#49 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 09:08 AM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3967289

NEW YORK -- NBA vice president Stu Jackson decided Tuesday that Lakers forward Trevor Ariza would not be penalized further for his hard foul against Trail Blazers guard Rudy Fernandez, but the league was still taking a long look at whether Lamar Odom's actions merited a suspension under the "leaving the bench" rule.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#50 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 09:58 AM

Actually, Darth Bynumite, I just heard Tim Legler wisely note that Ariza' play was not dirty.

He said that it was a hard foul, and while he agreed with the decision to give the F-2, he did not feel that the play warranted any further discipline.

Legler may not be the best commentator out there; but, at least he played the game, and when he discussed the play, he talked about the reality of what happens when two guys collide in the air.

Just cause one guy said it doesn't mean it's true.

#51 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,934 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 10:35 AM

Just cause one guy said it doesn't mean it's true.

I was stepping outside of the Laker fandom, a group that you were being critical of in your earlier post.

Of course Legler's opinion doesn't make it so. That really goes without saying.

And with that said, your dissenting opinion certainly doesn't make Ariza's play dirty.

Edited by UKUGA, March 10, 2009 - 10:36 AM.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#52 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 1,445 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted March 10, 2009 - 10:36 AM

On that video of DWade, he also hits Hill's head while going for the block? Why didn't that get an automatic ejection? Wade's block in no way deserved an ejection, but the only way that was different from Ariza's is that Rudy fell hard. Wade also blocked like trying to pin the ball while Ariza swatted which probably caused a shift in Rudy's momentum and caused him to fall that hard.

But after watching the replay a lot I don't understand how he fell like that. It's simply another case of the officials reacting to the fall rather than the foul itself. I mean how many big men have gotten ejected, suspended, flagrant fouls because some little guy drives the lane and the big guy makes a play but the size differential causes the little guy to go flying and it looks really bad when it was nothing but a hard foul. It's happened to Shaq, it's happened to Ronny and I know it's happened to others.
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#53 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 10:44 AM

I was stepping outside of the Laker fandom, a group that you were being critical of in your earlier post.

Of course Legler's opinion doesn't make it so. That really goes without saying.

And with that said, your dissenting opinion certainly doesn't make Ariza's play dirty.

Of course, but you can go on ANY Basketball messageboard and the majority of them will hate Lakers fans.

A huge part of this is because they think Lakers fans are very bias and whine alot.

Edited by Darth Bynumite, March 10, 2009 - 10:45 AM.

#54 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Horry, Van Exel

Posted March 10, 2009 - 11:00 AM

Glad Ariza won't be suspended, and after looking at the replay, I don't know if Odom will be, either.

Bleeding purple & gold...

#55 Smoove

Smoove

Filipindian

• 5,269 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted March 10, 2009 - 11:15 AM

Of course, but you can go on ANY Basketball messageboard and the majority of them will hate Lakers fans.

A huge part of this is because they think Lakers fans are very bias and whine alot.

well all fans are obviously gonna show a bias towards their team that is what makes them a fan of the team. laker fans are not the only ones...also all fans of other teams whine a lot too. you should see the celtics and cavs boards after losses.

Edited by Smoove, March 10, 2009 - 11:15 AM.

Posted Image

"To whom much is given much is tested."

#56 Noise Figure

Noise Figure

Rookie

• 130 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted March 10, 2009 - 11:18 AM

Odom never actually stepped on the court. Hopefully that is why he won't get suspended.

#57 LakerLandB

LakerLandB

Where Amazing Happens

• 532 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fan Since:The day I was born

Posted March 10, 2009 - 11:59 AM

imo, Ariza will get a suspension because he deserves it. I got heat when I said Bynum on Gerald Wallace was dirty, and I assume I'll get more heat when I say Ariza on Fernandez was dirty.

Odom will get a suspension, but he does not deserve it. All he was trying to do was stop the wannabe thugs on the Blazers hurting Ariza in return.

And someone on the Blazers will get a suspension so the league can make thins look "balanced".

How is it a dirty foul?

#58 Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles

Bile

• 280 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Byron Scott

Posted March 10, 2009 - 12:00 PM

Hard foul that deserved the ejection because he made contact with the head. But the fact it he swiped at the ball. That's where his arm was traveling and it happened to hit the head. You cant hit the head and he was ejected. But a suspension for playing the ball? It's sports. There will always be a risk of injury especially when you hurtle your body towards the rim at full speed. If this was Paul pierce doing that same thing to Kobe I would say the same thing. Hard foul where he played the ball and hit other things.

#59 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,934 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 12:14 PM

*Yawn*

Seriously, is this the best you can come up with? People on the internet don't like Lakers fans?

The Lakers, like any team, have good fans, and have bad fans. That is the case of every team, in every sport, at every level.

The Lakers just have the most fans, and people get sick of the Lakers winning so much.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#60 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 01:35 PM

I don't understand why Lakers fans always feel the need to defend their players. The rest of the league can see it was reckless, why can't Laker fans?

Has nothing to do with me being a Lakers fan. I'm on another bball forum and plenty of Lakers haters are saying it wasn't dirty. And analysts on tv are too. Nice try though.

*Yawn*

Seriously, is this the best you can come up with? People on the internet don't like Lakers fans?

The Lakers, like any team, have good fans, and have bad fans. That is the case of every team, in every sport, at every level.

The Lakers just have the most fans, and people get sick of the Lakers winning so much.

Honestly from what I've seen though, Lakers do have some of the most annoying fans on the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users