Ariza won't be suspended, Odom suspended for one game

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted March 09, 2009 - 10:25 PM

Ariza Interview:

says all the right things

From your perspective, what happened on the play?
"I was just trying to go for the ball, trying to make a good play on the ball and unfortunately somebody got hurt."

Surprised they called a Flagrant 2?
"A little. But that's the referees' decision. I'm just trying to play the game the right way, not give up anything easy."

What did you think about the reaction from the Blazers?
"It's expected. That's one of their teammates. If it was one of my teammates, I would probably do the same thing, too. No hard feelings. It was just protecting a teammate."

Put yourself in his position. You're going down on a fast break and someone comes up behind and fouls you like that. How would you react?
"It happens. It's basketball. Nobody's trying to hurt anybody out here but things happen."

Any concern that you're going to get suspended?
"Honestly, there's nothing I can do about that. I hope it doesn't happen. I was just trying to go for the ball. I wasn't trying to hurt anybody or do anything like that."

What went on in the altercation by the team bench?
"Honestly, I don't even remember. It was a heat-of-the-moment thing. I don't remember what happened."

Surprised the Blazers surrounded you like that?
"Like I said, that was one of their teammates. They're a good, close team so that's not surprising at all."

Looking back, would you still have handled the play the same way?
"Yeah. Because it wasn't anything I was trying to do. I wasn't trying to hurt him. I was just trying to make a play for the ball. It wasn't anything; I wasn't trying to hurt him. I was just trying to make a play for the ball for my team."

http://boards.espn.g...o...90702&lid=4

#22 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted March 09, 2009 - 10:27 PM

Yeh I was surprised by the Flagrant 2 as well.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#23 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted March 09, 2009 - 10:28 PM

#24 Smoove

Smoove

Filipindian

• 5,269 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 09, 2009 - 10:30 PM

this is dumb. ariza always goes for blocks like that. it's not his fault freakin Fernandez is a stick.

Posted Image

"To whom much is given much is tested."

#25 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted March 09, 2009 - 10:35 PM

Ariza's been in a huge slump anyway. Maybe some games off will help him get his mind right and game back or something. One can only hope.

#26 tru'tildeath

tru'tildeath

Rookie

• 768 posts
  • Fav. Laker:chick hearn

Posted March 09, 2009 - 10:45 PM

two guys came off the blazer bench for what it's worth..

#27 Smoove

Smoove

Filipindian

• 5,269 posts

Posted March 09, 2009 - 10:48 PM

lmao man youtube has a bunch of immature [expletive]s.

look at these comments i got:

"i dont know you. but i really [expletive]ing hate you. "

"cocksucker you looking for kobe, look at the bench he might be setting down and cant get involved cuz of suspension. where is your mom at though? i've looking for her"

haha little internet thugs. all i did was bash the portland announcers.

Posted Image

#28 lili

lili

Off The Bench

• 1,597 posts

Posted March 09, 2009 - 10:59 PM

i can't believe the reporters the lakers' team gets, i wish they were at least a little for the lakers instead of always trying to make them look bad.

like mike from the latimes, writing that lamar was seeing leaving the bench, he never left he just took a few steps forward, because roy was getting in his face.

the latimes writing almost like a paper that writes for the other team is so annoying. once i'll like to see a reporter from other team be against the team they cover, it will never happen(aside from the knicks)

#29 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted March 09, 2009 - 11:02 PM

Doesn't matter if Portland's players get suspended. We aren't playing them in our next game, and they aren't a threat to take the top seed.

We're just going to get crushed if we lose Odom and Ariza. Kobe will be out there with Gasol and the rest of our goon squad.

Goon squad? Look at my previous post

http://lakernation.c...mp;#entry222548

and see how much flak i got for saying the bench was laggin'. This game was crucial... every game's crucial and while i still thought the officiating was poorly manned, this Laker team that started this season are well above par to the blazers and should have won. What will this do? My biggest fear is a domino effect..

A) The Lakers will have their top seed status jabbed at even though we're at a comfy 8 game gap. That'll cause the Lakers to lose momentum mentally and physically.

B) Kobe's not playing like an MVP and I'll get hate for that comment but it is what it is. Kobe should take over in a game when he has to.. this was not one of those situations. With so many games to play the remainder of the season it should be imperative that you get your guys to play well and the bench needs to step up, but the bench? read on...

C) Our bench has now been defined as the spoiled brats of the west because they can't do a thing at all against competing teams without having a starter hold their hand. What happened with the confident Jordan Farmar and the Machine we saw in the Finals? They've lost guidance, control, poise and courage. Where's the team captain when you need him?

D) Pau Gasol is still soft... I know Rudy's your boy but your ball club and heart should be with the concern of the Lakers.. Look, I feel for Rudy but truth be told if Kobe, Lamar or Pau were injured and the blazers were down, they would have certainly exploited our weakness in having one of our big 3 outta the game.

E) Bynum is to this team what Garnett is to the Celtics. Defense was played better when Bynum was on the floor and now that he's not and this team was regarded as "deep" those adjustments should have been more than eay to adjust to.

F) Lamar's "I want them to respect me as a man and as a player..." speech is void if you don't play like a man.

G) Ariza has gotten soft. No matter how many 3's you chuck and still miss it'll never compare to the hustle and slash Ariza.

H) Farmar's starting to be a junior Marbury

I) Sasha's no machine

J) Brown's hops don't win ball games.

K) If Mbenga's gonna try to throw down for a chance to play, bring it all out and do it on the road.

L) Morrison's sad puppy self esteem act is pathetic. You're a grown man and a grown man with a large pay check at that... MAN UP!

M) Walton will never be the player his father was.

This Laker team will be lucky to get by with the first seed and will still have to gut it out much differently from how they did last season. Offense is natural to this team. Defense is not and if we lose Ariza and LO for the next game or two we're screwed. I am not going to make excuses for the same Laker team that has the best record on the road and were dominating games on the road both at the beginning of the season and when Andrew went down. Lately these Lakers have been playing like they've been signed to a contract and if Brown's one of those Lakers that have something to prove he's gotta show me more than a highlight dunk at the end of a lost game.

If the Lakers are playing this way to preserve what strength they have left from a grueling season for the playoffs then that's an indicator of a cocky arrogant team. They won't win that way and I'm afraid that not only will Bynum coming back not be the answer but that they've lost the capabilities and knowledge of how to play like the dominant team that started this season.

Every contending and threating team to the Lakers has gotten a little stronger. Cavs with Joe Smith, Spurs with Gooden, Boston with Moore and Marbury. The Lakers have not yet proven that the same East coast road trip they swept can be made from the 3 west coast tourney we still have yet to complete and frankly, this Laker team is not the team I'm comfortable with going into the Playoffs.

I'm a Laker for life but MY GOD!!!! Hitting the wall's an excuse!

#30 lili

lili

Off The Bench

• 1,597 posts

Posted March 09, 2009 - 11:05 PM

two guys came off the blazer bench for what it's worth..

watching the video, it is obvious the players from the blazers started the confrontation, they started pushing the lakers players into their own bench. if anything brandon roy should be suspended, him and the other player that pushed the lakers on the side line.

if the league suspends lamar and not any of the blazers players, then there's obviously something wrong with the league.

Edited by lili, March 09, 2009 - 11:07 PM.

#31 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 09, 2009 - 11:13 PM

For the people who watched the KCAL feed, watch that video and listen to the Portland commentators. What a bunch of homers.

#32 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Horry, Van Exel

Posted March 09, 2009 - 11:20 PM

I think they'll both be suspended one game.

Bleeding purple & gold...

#33 Smoove

Smoove

Filipindian

• 5,269 posts

Posted March 09, 2009 - 11:42 PM

Was wondering if the place where Odom went which is still in the out of bounds place, is considered leaving the bench since technically he did not enter a foot on to the court. It seemed like Odom was about to pull Ariza away and then Roy was talking to [expletive] to Odom and i was surprised he did not get a T

Posted Image

#34 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 01:30 AM

Ariza better not get suspended. Wasn't a flag. 2. Dumb league doing it based on the fall and what happens after the play. Ariza gets hit like that ALWAYS and hits the floor hard, but he bounces back up so nothing is done about it. The flagrant foul should be about the foul, not about how the player falls or gets hurt. I didn't think it should be a flagrant, but he hit his head so it would be a flag. 1 at worst.

Odom apparently left the bench though, and that's an automatic suspension. I didn't notice.

And Brandon Roy not getting a tech was some more wtf material.

#35 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted March 10, 2009 - 02:30 AM

Ariza better not get suspended. Wasn't a flag. 2. Dumb league doing it based on the fall and what happens after the play. Ariza gets hit like that ALWAYS and hits the floor hard, but he bounces back up so nothing is done about it. The flagrant foul should be about the foul, not about how the player falls or gets hurt. I didn't think it should be a flagrant, but he hit his head so it would be a flag. 1 at worst.

Odom apparently left the bench though, and that's an automatic suspension. I didn't notice.

And Brandon Roy not getting a tech was some more wtf material.

League looks at all flagrant calls. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it has been changed to a 1, and Odom isn't suspended.

Not like that would have changed the outcome of the game.

Edited by Base, March 10, 2009 - 02:30 AM.

#36 Shade

Shade

Dunk like Machine! Bynum loves DESTROY!!

• 538 posts
  • Fan Since:FOREEEVERRR!!
  • Fav. Laker:Bynum, KB, Sasha and everyone!

Posted March 10, 2009 - 02:36 AM

Bless Rudy and hope he's gonna be alright :(

Grr that Roy! :mad:

/\
Vap is amazing

Drummer
Saxophonist
Guitarist

#37 TheAssassin611

TheAssassin611

"The Young Assassin"

• 892 posts
  • Name:Mohammad Abdulrauf L. Lauban
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted March 10, 2009 - 02:38 AM

Slump play.Very bad.

#38 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 03:19 AM

imo, Ariza will get a suspension because he deserves it. I got heat when I said Bynum on Gerald Wallace was dirty, and I assume I'll get more heat when I say Ariza on Fernandez was dirty.

Odom will get a suspension, but he does not deserve it. All he was trying to do was stop the wannabe thugs on the Blazers hurting Ariza in return.

And someone on the Blazers will get a suspension so the league can make thins look "balanced".
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#39 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 03:35 AM

imo, Ariza will get a suspension because he deserves it. I got heat when I said Bynum on Gerald Wallace was dirty, and I assume I'll get more heat when I say Ariza on Fernandez was dirty.

Do you know what a dirty play is? You can get by on saying that on the Bynum play, but this one was definitely not dirty.

You live in England so I'll forgive you for thinking in a strange way.

Colour.

#40 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 05:00 AM

Do you know what a dirty play is? You can get by on saying that on the Bynum play, but this one was definitely not dirty.

You live in England so I'll forgive you for thinking in a strange way.

Colour.

It was dangerous.

Ariza wouldn't have gone in that hard if we were winning. He was fustrated and swung dangerously at Rudy.

Not the dirtiest thing in the world, but definitely not clean.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users