Photo

Larry Bird Dislikes Today's Reliance On The 3 Point Shot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,375 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted March 09, 2009 - 04:47 PM

Posted Image

5 Shots from Larry Bird

What Ted Williams was to hitting, so is Bird to shooting.

5. Guess who doesn't love the three-point shot. While sitting through the three-point contest year after year at All-Star weekend, it's natural to refer back to Bird. In that regard he was the NBA's Babe Ruth, the player who made the home run popular while winning the three-point shootout in its inaugural three years (1986-88).

"Yeah, it's all they talk about,'' he said of his ability from the three-point line. "Everybody looks at me as a three-point shooter, but I didn't shoot a lot of them.''

Bird attempted a scant 1.9 threes per game in 13 seasons. In 2000-01, the year before he retired, his long-range attempts peaked at 3.3. But that's still a low rate by today's standards: There are 72 players attempting more than 3.3 threes this season alone.

"I felt like the game is won down in the paint,'' Bird said. "I didn't shoot them until the end of the game. If I shot one early, it was probably on the road.'' When he wanted to make a dramatic impact in an opponent's gym, he means to say.

http://sportsillustr...down/index.html
Hey Laker fans! Check out this internet radio talk show for TRUE Laker fans. Hear them out and let them know what you think about the show. Send them an email with your thought and opinions on the Lakers, the show, or any other topic you want. Thanks for listening and GO LAKERS!! www.purpleandgoldradioshow.com

Signatures may contain an image, but may not be any larger than 468x140.

#2 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 09, 2009 - 05:23 PM

Bird attempted a scant 1.9 threes per game in 13 seasons. In 2000-01, the year before he retired, his long-range attempts peaked at 3.3.

Bird did not retire in 2002.

#3 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted March 09, 2009 - 09:08 PM

No worries, any team that relies on three point shooting will die with it... See Orlando...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#4 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted March 09, 2009 - 10:08 PM

Live by the three, die by the three.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#5 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 01:43 AM

Bird did not retire in 2002.

Hahaha I just copied the same thing then saw your post. They're 10 years off. He was coaching the 2000 finals against us (I saw game 6 the other day and wanted to cry when I saw Kobe jump into Shaq's arms at the buzzer........)

And I didn't know he rarely shot 3s.

#6 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 08:40 PM

I hate Larry but I respect him greatly. He is right....
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

#7 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,633 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted March 10, 2009 - 09:34 PM

You know, it's funny.

If you go back and watch a lot of the the 3peat Lakers' comebacks, they attack the basket a ton. (I know, I know, they had Shaq, but still).

Those teams seemed to realize just how many possessions you could actually generate down the stretch of a game, if you would attack the rim, and get easy baskets, or draw fouls.

But, ever since Shaq left and Rudy T. arrived, this team has become much more reliant on 3pointers to try and make comebacks.

It gets a little frustrating when you see how successful teams used to be in attacking the basket late in games, and putting together nice runs.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users