Pacquiao Vs Dela Hoya

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#61 purple_and_gold_fever

purple_and_gold_fever

Sixth Man

• 3,817 posts

Posted December 02, 2008 - 09:05 AM

After I saw the whole Celtics at Manny's last fight, I kinda just puked really...

I'll still root for Manny though... but I.. yeah... umm... a little iffy about it...

#62 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 02, 2008 - 09:47 AM

Manny Pacquaio is a Celtic fan! :angry:

correction: celtics are manny fans...it wasnt manny that walked into their locker room to nuthug...it was the other way around
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#63 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted December 02, 2008 - 09:56 AM

http://forum.philbox...oad.php?id=5946
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#64 GEMROC

GEMROC

Independent Queen working for her throne.

• 3,791 posts
  • Name:Cheryle

Posted December 02, 2008 - 01:40 PM

Uki-nam! The Golden Girl is goin down.

:lol: So we have Ilocano's on this board, haha, cool!

I'm excited to watch this fight. :rock: :D

SAN DIEGO STATE AZTECS, boyeee.

Lakers branded | I love life and all its uncertainties. <3 | *TWEET ME:@CheryleLapitan

#65 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted December 02, 2008 - 01:45 PM

:lol: So we have Ilocano's on this board, haha, cool!

I'm excited to watch this fight. :rock: :D

ilokano ngarud
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")

#66 GEMROC

GEMROC

• 3,791 posts

Posted December 02, 2008 - 01:46 PM

ilokano ngarud

Amok dayta. lol :D

Lakers branded | I love life and all its uncertainties. <3 | *TWEET ME:@CheryleLapitan

#67 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted December 02, 2008 - 02:03 PM

Sorry Cheryle, but I want Pacman to lose. :rock:

#68 GEMROC

GEMROC

• 3,791 posts

Posted December 02, 2008 - 02:32 PM

Sorry Cheryle, but I want Pacman to lose. :rock:

We'll see! ;)

Hahah, I really don't care who wins to be honest. Both are great boxers. I just love the intensity in it all. :D :rock:

#69 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,796 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted December 02, 2008 - 03:22 PM

pacamans got this

si dela hoya parang bakla naman

#70 xplayforrealx

xplayforrealx

Rookie

• 350 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant and Sasha Vujacic

Posted December 02, 2008 - 03:39 PM

Lets go Pacquiao. TKO!
Mike Breen: Walton can tip it. Bryant with the save.
Hubie Brown: Oh you gotta get a shot here
Mike Breen: Final Seconds.. Bryant for the win, BANG!

Your signature violates forum guidelines.

#71 rissa missa

rissa missa

i <3 Kobe

• 938 posts

Posted December 02, 2008 - 03:42 PM

correction: celtics are manny fans...it wasnt manny that walked into their locker room to nuthug...it was the other way around

i stand corrected, kababayan. :thankyou: but i shall remain neutral. he's been infected with the Celtics cooties but it should be a great match nonetheless. bakbakan na! (fight on) :boxing:

pacamans got this

:lol: that's why they call him pretty boy!

#72 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,796 posts

Posted December 02, 2008 - 03:44 PM

exactly ^ lol

#73 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted December 02, 2008 - 03:46 PM

i stand corrected, kababayan. :thankyou: but i shall remain neutral. he's been infected with the Celtics cooties but it should be a great match nonetheless. bakbakan na! (fight on) :boxing:

:lol: that's why they call him pretty boy!

eh puro bandwagon naman tatak ng celtics...kaya sumakay kay manny :rock:
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")

#74 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted December 02, 2008 - 03:47 PM

pacamans got this

sinong bading?

Posted Image
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")

#75 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,796 posts

Posted December 02, 2008 - 03:47 PM

walana yan si dela hoya tapos na yan

#76 GEMROC

GEMROC

• 3,791 posts

Posted December 02, 2008 - 04:12 PM

Ay nako! :lol:

#77 clarisseypoo

clarisseypoo

<3

• 1,876 posts
  • Fan Since:`91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 02, 2008 - 08:57 PM

I understood all the Tagalog posts :lol:

Go Manny :rock:

#78 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted December 02, 2008 - 08:59 PM

Putang ina mo.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#79 purple_and_gold_fever

purple_and_gold_fever

Sixth Man

• 3,817 posts

Posted December 02, 2008 - 09:52 PM

Putang ina mo.

and then this... :mellow:

lmao!

#80 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted December 02, 2008 - 10:31 PM

It's game on for De La Hoya ahead of PacMan fight

De La Hoya not loved by all Mexicans?

http://sports.espn.g...mp;lid=tab3pos1

If insults were like punches, Oscar De La Hoya would have been beaten to death a long time ago.

"He has been in this position so many times with 'player haters,'" said Eric Gomez, De La Hoya's boyhood friend and matchmaker at Golden Boy Promotions. "Felix Trinidad Jr. called him chicken; Fernando Vargas called him gay and everything in the book."

Ahead of Saturday's welterweight megafight with Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas, it's De La Hoya's style and heart that are being called into question.

A war of words has developed during the promotion. Some of it is typical prefight hype while the rest appears to be genuine.

Top Rank, which promotes Pacquiao, has instituted a "Mexicans for Pacquiao" movement. Top Rank president Bob Arum has said that iconic Mexican fighters like Antonio Margarito, Julio Cesar Chavez, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., Jorge Arce and Erik Morales are rooting for Pacquiao.

Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, has also taken jabs at De La Hoya's integrity, blasting him for going back on a promise that he would be De La Hoya's trainer for the rest of his career.

Roach was fired after one fight -- De La Hoya's loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in May 2007, a loss for which De La Hoya and Roach blame each other.

"The thing is he told me that he'd never fight without me in his corner again. … He just wanted to make me feel good at some point, and I fell for it," Roach said.

In one breath, De La Hoya said he doesn't have anything bad to say about Pacquiao. In another, he ripped Pacquiao for backing out of their infamous 2007 promotional deal, with Arum ending up with the rights to Pacquiao.

"When he looked into my eyes and I looked into his eyes and we shook hands, we had a deal," De La Hoya said. "And he talks about honor. That's also one of the reasons why this fight is so personal to me because of that night when we signed the deal and he turned his back on me. He's going to have to pay come Dec. 6."

Bickering with his former trainer and sore about a broken promise, De La Hoya brings a mixed bag of emotions going into Saturday's fight. But it's the "Mexicans for Pacquiao" crusade that seems to have evoked the most emotion.

During a recent media workout at his camp in Big Bear Lake, Calif., De La Hoya was asked about those Mexican-born fighters who have put their support behind Pacquiao rather than him -- a Mexican-American.

"That's beautiful and wonderful that Chavez and Margarito can support Manny Pacquiao," De La Hoya said. "I was down in Mexico City promoting an HBO series [recently] and I invited [former welterweight champion] Pipino Cuevas, I invited [former bantamweight champion Carlos] Zarate, I invited all the great legends from the past and there were like 15 of them.

"They're all coming to the fight as my guests. And they're all in my corner. So if he has Margarito and Chavez, that's fine."

Gomez suggested "Mexicans for Pacquiao" was Arum's idea. At a news conference in De La Hoya's native East Los Angeles last month, Arum was booed when he stood on the dais and told thousands of Mexicans about this drive. Gomez was quick to point out that those Mexican fighters who supposedly are backing Pacquiao are all fighters currently or formerly promoted by Arum.

"I think it's jealously, but Oscar doesn't care about that because he's got tens of thousands of Mexicans backing him, [fighters] such as Daniel Zaragoza, Chiquita Gonzalez, Ruben Olivares," Gomez said. "If you really want to talk about fighters that are behind Oscar, I guarantee you there are bigger names and more significant names that are behind Oscar.

Roach is of the mind, however, that it isn't just Mexican fighters who are backing Pacquiao.

"Manny has a lot of Mexican fans because of the great fights he's fought with great Mexican fighters," Roach said, alluding to battles with Marco Antonio Barrera, Morales and Juan Manuel Marquez. "And the rivalry's great between the Filipinos and the Mexicans because of Manny Pacquiao."

Arum believes there is another factor involved, one that could be considered a knock on De La Hoya's supposed safety-first style. Arum considers Pacquiao's all-out, guns-blazing style to be more akin to what Mexican fans appreciate and have come to expect from their fighters. It's something they can relate to and, ultimately, cheer for in Pacquiao.

"You have to understand that Manny is more of a Mexican-style fighter than Oscar De La Hoya is or ever will be," Arum said. "So I think that's the reason a lot of fighters who fight the Mexican style are supporting Manny."

De La Hoya has had trouble in the past with Mexican fans -- American-born ones as well as transplants now living in Southern California.

The majority of Mexican and Mexican-American fans threw their support behind Chavez before his fights with De La Hoya. Later, they backed Vargas going into his fight with the Golden Boy in 2002.

The reluctance to back De La Hoya as one of their own doesn't sit well with Gomez. He sees his friend De La Hoya, who has donated millions of dollars to the East Los Angeles community over the years. He sees a man who has worked hard as a fighter and as a promoter to make a better life for his family. In essence, he sees in De La Hoya exactly what he sees in immigrants who come to America in search of a better way of life. Rooting against De La Hoya makes no sense to Gomez.

Posted Image
Much to Oscar De La Hoya's chagrin, most Mexican fans backed Julio Cesar Chavez, right, in his fights with the Golden Boy.

"If you are here doing the same thing he is trying to do, you are being a hypocrite," Gomez said. "If you are Mexican and not rooting for Oscar, it's just jealousy. There are a lot of people out there jealous and envious of Oscar."

Former welterweight champion and Hall of Famer Carlos Palomino of Los Angeles via Mexico is not one of them. He scoffed at Arum's remarks about De La Hoya's fighting style.

"I think in the beginning he didn't have that much respect because of image that was created for him," said Palomino, in reference to De La Hoya's "Golden Boy" moniker. "But as time has gone on he has proven that he will stand in there and fight, like the fight with Ike Quartey. When he had to, he stood and he fought. I think he has earned the respect of Mexican fight fans for that."

Like many in boxing, Palomino is not crazy about this fight. He perceives it to be a no-win situation for De La Hoya because De La Hoya is the bigger fighter and is expected to win.

Still, there's no question as to which fighter he wants to see emerge victorious.

"Oh, Oscar," Palomino said. "Of course."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users