#1 TheAssassin611

TheAssassin611

"The Young Assassin"

• 892 posts
  • Name:Mohammad Abdulrauf L. Lauban
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 04, 2009 - 03:04 AM

The final phase of player movement in the NBA took place without the Lakers adding anyone else to their roster.

They inquired about the availability of free-agent forward Joe Smith, but the Cleveland Cavaliers reportedly agreed to terms with him Tuesday night. Smith was waived by Oklahoma City last week.

"We explored it and put in our two cents' worth," Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak said Tuesday.

Several players were waived before Sunday's deadline, allowing them to sign with other teams and still be eligible for the playoffs. Forward Drew Gooden is expected to sign with San Antonio, forward-center Stromile Swift will join Phoenix, and guard Luther Head will sign with Miami, according to various media reports.

Although the Lakers had discussions with representatives for Smith, a 14-year veteran, they weren't overly surprised when he opted for Cleveland, where he played part of last season.

"We like what we've got," Lakers Coach Phil Jackson said. "We don't want to change the chemistry. We've got such chemistry on this team. We can use a big guy, but we anticipate Andrew's going to be back and give us some help in the last month of the season."

Andrew Bynum could return from a torn knee ligament as early as March 30. The Lakers have gone 13-3 in his absence, including the Jan. 31 game in which he was injured.

Return of the bench

The Lakers' reserves had been stumbling since getting outscored last Friday by the Denver Nuggets' backups, 47-7.

"My fear is that they're relying too much on threes . . . instead of penetration," Jackson said before Tuesday's game against Memphis. "They've been great at running and pressing, trapping and stealing, that kind of stuff. People are now kind of adjusting to who they are and so we've got to have a better effort from them on the floor."

The Lakers' reserves outscored their Memphis counterparts, 32-18.

Rest of the Article.

#2 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,348 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted March 04, 2009 - 03:06 AM

So we'll enter the playoffs with an open roster spot ? :blink:

#3 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,707 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 04, 2009 - 03:10 AM

Well I hope MItch knows what he's doing.
Posted Image

#4 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts
  • Fan Since:1966

Posted March 04, 2009 - 06:00 AM

If Bynum comes back as article says then there is no one LA could add who would be on active roster anyway for playoffs. If LA simply needs a big body to eat up some minutes between now and end of season then they could still add Robert Horry. He is pretty much done I think as player, but he is guy who could play a few minutes here and there and he knows the triangle.

#5 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted March 04, 2009 - 08:37 AM

It's not just him. Phil Jackson has a say in this as well. They tried for Joe Smith and weren't successful. Obviously we didnt try too hard for Gooden or Smith, which I think should be a good indication that Bynum should be returning this season.

#6 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts
  • Fan Since:1966

Posted March 04, 2009 - 08:54 AM

It's not just him. Phil Jackson has a say in this as well. They tried for Joe Smith and weren't successful. Obviously we didnt try too hard for Gooden or Smith, which I think should be a good indication that Bynum should be returning this season.

Yeah and not just that, the players have to want to come. Players know Phil doesn't like to play new players and that figures into their decisions. These guys, for most part, are players who were let go and now want to go where they can show what they can do to get a new contract next season. I want everyone to be a Laker, but sometimes it makes better sense for players not to come here. Plus as Westcoast said this is pretty good indicator Drew will be back. I have yet to see a credible report saying he is behind schedule. Most have said he is right on target to come back.

#7 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted March 04, 2009 - 11:19 AM

were bringing back Horry i have a feeling
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#8 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted March 04, 2009 - 11:37 AM

They will bring back Slava!!
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#9 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 04, 2009 - 11:44 AM

Y'all gotta understand, those other teams made their moves to catch up with us. Once Bynum comes back, that's twice as big a "move" as any of these signings. And yes I have a feeling we're looking at Horry too. Might as well sign some1 since we have that open spot.

#10 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted March 04, 2009 - 11:47 AM

were bringing back Horry i have a feeling

I sense that too especially when we couldn't get anyone at the deadline. Horry even if he didn't play is going to benefit the lakers. He will instruct the players on insights to a game, a play, competitor, etc.. that could make a difference in a game or two. It also will give great comfort to Kobe and Fish knowing they have a vet like Horry with them.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users