Phil Jackson to work his magic

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted March 02, 2009 - 06:48 PM

But even Jackson needs attention-getting devices. And until hitting this Denver-Phoenix speed bump, the Lakers were beyond thinking they needed extra work and motivation. They were treating the rest of the league like its personal piñata. Going into Denver, they’d lost just once in 14 games and twice in 19. They’d lost center Bynum, and that was supposed to finish their title hopes. But going into Denver, they were 11-1 without him. And among those wins were major victories at Boston and Cleveland.

Teams that experience runs like that tend to start to think they can’t be beaten, and sometimes nothing a coach tells them can shake that thought. When Jackson was in Chicago, that Michael Jordan fellow saw to it that the Bulls never thought they were unbeatable. In Los Angeles, Kobe Bryant has Jordanesque talent, but he doesn’t exert the same kind of control over the team’s psyche that Jordan did. The Lakers this year have tossed in back-to-back losses three times now — and each episode came after a lengthy streak of utter dominance. The first time it happened was on Dec. 19-20 at Miami and Orlando after a 14-2 run. The Lakers followed it with a 10-1 run that ended with losses on Jan. 14 and 16 to the Spurs and Magic. The current pair of losses follows a 17-2 run.

Link

#2 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 02, 2009 - 06:49 PM

good...
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#3 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,313 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted March 02, 2009 - 06:54 PM

Phil and Kobe better do something to get the team working.

Edited by #24, March 02, 2009 - 06:57 PM.

#4 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,769 posts

Posted March 02, 2009 - 06:59 PM

So far out bench has struggled the past 2 games. We relied on Pau and Kobe most of the time.

Edited by Lakersfan1211, March 02, 2009 - 06:59 PM.

#5 TheAssassin611

TheAssassin611

"The Young Assassin"

• 892 posts
  • Name:Mohammad Abdulrauf L. Lauban
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted March 02, 2009 - 06:59 PM

Phil and Kobe better do something to get the team working.

Yeah!! Like nbcsports Said:
Kobe Bryant has Jordanesque talent

#6 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:00 PM

So I'm guessing another 10-1 run or something along those lines is going to occur. I'm not too worried at the moment.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#7 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:04 PM

The media loves to compare this team to the bulls. Where is the scottie(pau), okay where is the Rodman(LO?)
where is the Kukoc, Kerr, Wennington, Bradley, Grant...those guys were VETS, not youngstas
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#8 Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles

Bile

• 280 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Byron Scott

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:45 PM

So I'm guessing another 10-1 run or something along those lines is going to occur. I'm not too worried at the moment.

Im starting to get a little worried. The bench has been steadily playing worse and worse. Sasha, Ariza and to an extent Farmar are NOT the same players they were even back to last season. I guarantee that we will not win the title unless those 3 start playing better. We absolutely NEED them to step it up. They aren't playing much better than Boston's sucky bench at the moment. If they were vets, I'd be fine. But they are all 3 youngsters that haven't been around the block enough to fight through certain slumps.

#9 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:53 PM

I see I see. It's different for other people I guess. I like hardly ever worry about this kind of stuff.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#10 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,313 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:55 PM

Im starting to get a little worried. The bench has been steadily playing worse and worse. Sasha, Ariza and to an extent Farmar are NOT the same players they were even back to last season. I guarantee that we will not win the title unless those 3 start playing better. We absolutely NEED them to step it up. They aren't playing much better than Boston's sucky bench at the moment. If they were vets, I'd be fine. But they are all 3 youngsters that haven't been around the block enough to fight through certain slumps.

They just need some time.. Andrew has been out for a while now, Vlade has been traded for Morrison and Brown, Mihm is gone (like that would matter lol)

Just quite alot changes have been made lately.

But heck, eventually it's Kobe along with Pau and Lamar who carry the team.

#11 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted March 02, 2009 - 08:03 PM

Just checked the stats. On the year, Boston's bench is averaging 3 less pts than our's, but 6 more pts on a per 100 possessions basis, and have a better plus/minus than us (we were better a week or 2 ago).

#12 Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles

Bile

• 280 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Byron Scott

Posted March 03, 2009 - 01:28 PM

Just checked the stats. On the year, Boston's bench is averaging 3 less pts than our's, but 6 more pts on a per 100 possessions basis, and have a better plus/minus than us (we were better a week or 2 ago).

That's my point. Our vaunted depth is seemingly turning into more of a mirage. Everyone talked about that being our ace in the hole against all these teams. Now it's gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users