24 replies to this topic

#21 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted March 02, 2009 - 06:17 PM

How can they just NOW be overrated? With that reasoning, if there is a night, or a stretch of games, when a player isn't playing to their fullest potential, then they are being overrated. What a dumb thread. Yes the starters have been bailing out our bench lately, but there are also games this season when the bench has bailed out the starters. So the bench has been playing poorly lately. Welcome to NBA basketball. No players play well every single game.

#22 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted March 02, 2009 - 06:23 PM

We still have the best bench in the league and deepest bench in the league. Phil needs to play Odom or Luke more with the 2nd unit because they don't have a leader. Farmar, Stinky, and Ariza look lost without Odom. The bench has been playing bad since Odom started at PF.

ODOM is no longer on the bench, neither is Vlad Rad...so right now, we don't have the best bench in the league anymore. We still have a servicable bench and if Bynum returns, our bench is that much stronger

I agree with the topic starter. Our bench is definitely overrated with everyone here thinking we're still the best in the league and all that. It's not just about the last 2 games, I do watch every game and our bench recently always seems to let the other team come back and Kobe has to save the day.

Not saying they were bad the whole year, I remember when we were killin no matter what. But more recently they have been much worse.

Our starters' ppg is near the top of the league, and our bench scoring is near the middle of the pack (last year it was 1 or 2 wasn't it?).

When our bench is on, we really might be the best/deepest in the league. But we're wayyyy too damn inconsistent to be called that right now.

When Odom was coming off of our bench, it wasn't. Now it is, due to Odom not being able to distribute and get everybody involved.

Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#23 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:01 PM

i dont know about overrated but we are playing the longest 3 month road trip out of all the other teams this second half of the season, that could have a lingering effect on our bench productivity, and the fact like kobynum said that we lost vladrad and bynum and gained 2 new players and had odom start is affectin us as well
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#24 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted March 03, 2009 - 06:45 AM

How can they just NOW be overrated? With that reasoning, if there is a night, or a stretch of games, when a player isn't playing to their fullest potential, then they are being overrated. What a dumb thread. Yes the starters have been bailing out our bench lately, but there are also games this season when the bench has bailed out the starters. So the bench has been playing poorly lately. Welcome to NBA basketball. No players play well every single game.

Dumb to your reasoning? Hardly. I'm not out to hate. We're all Lakers here. We all want a championship. Rather than me take the soft hearted approach to babying the idea that the Lakers bench mob is that deep, by claims of the media, I'd rather address it head on. Tough like- not soft.
Like I said before, this post wasn't put up out of frustration from a back to back loss. The truth of the matter is this bench as of late, is nowhere close to the deep bench they were last season. Have they hit the wall? IMO yes. Will they get out? Yes.
Remember we have the reigning MVP. Last season Kobe made ALOT of those bench players look like starters and/or a sixth man. Recently, Doc Rivers has found a way to get Big Baby very comfortable in taking big shots and playing crucial minutes (much to the same way he's taken a chance on Rondo). Popovich has done a great job with Hill.
It's clear that every other team in the league doesn't have the same supporting cast as we do and if that's the case where are the numbers and the clutch plays the defense and the players last year pissed about being called soft at? On the bench? Respectfully, if your argument with me is about my usage of the word "overrated" then we have nothing to discuss. If your argument with me is about the significant change of depth in our bench, then we can talk.

#25 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted March 03, 2009 - 11:09 AM

It's clear that every other team in the league doesn't have the same supporting cast as we do and if that's the case where are the numbers and the clutch plays the defense and the players last year pissed about being called soft at? On the bench? Respectfully, if your argument with me is about my usage of the word "overrated" then we have nothing to discuss. If your argument with me is about the significant change of depth in our bench, then we can talk.

Yea they are on the bench. It's hard to believe that you didn't just start watching the Lakers and NBA basketball last week, and sorry if I'm a bit skeptical that this isn't a typical "the sky is falling" thread considering it was made right after back to back losses. Like I said, there have been games, especially lately, when the starters have to play well and compensate for the poor play of the bench. But there have also been games when the bench has had to bail out the starters for their poor play. There have been times this season when our bench is just amazing, but other times, like now, when our bench is struggling. But same goes for our starters. That's typically how an NBA season plays out. No starting unit or bench unit plays well 82 games out of the season. It's a roller coaster ride; the season has its ups and downs. The bench at times have played as well as some starting units out there, but right now they're just in a slump. Just because they are currently on a "down" doesn't mean people need to complain about them being overrated.

Edited by daco_inc, March 03, 2009 - 11:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users