24 replies to this topic

#1 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:25 AM

With the season heading towards the playoffs and the chance that our league best record is at risk for losing home court, it's pretty clear that what was once known as the deepest and probably one of the most dangerous bench mobs imho is now totally over rated.

#2 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:30 AM

Do you have any reasons to why you think this? lol

Aren't we still first in the league? We've played 2 bad games in a row. Not like we were gonna be flawless for the rest of the season. We'll probably go to a couple more stretches like the one we're in right now.
Basketball Reasons...

#3 Samson1987

Samson1987

Rookie

• 539 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Bryant-Gasol-Artest-Brown

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:37 AM

I dunno. When our Bench plays well we absolutely dominate games, but when they play crap the team suffers big time. If you consider the record we have I would say our bench is not overrated at all they're just in a funk right now and it happens to the best of them.
"If you could stop all the players that get publicized and all the players that the NBA likes and all the players, you know, the players that win the MVP's, you know, for their offense. And some of them, you know, play pretty good defense too. But some of them, you know, they like "this guy he can shoot, he can score, he can dunk." and I want to be the one to stop all those guys, you know, and just kinda spoil the whole party." - Ron Artest

#4 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:45 AM

Do you have any reasons to why you think this? lol

Aren't we still first in the league? We've played 2 bad games in a row. Not like we were gonna be flawless for the rest of the season. We'll probably go to a couple more stretches like the one we're in right now.

My post wasn't put up as a frustration post because of back to back losses. We've shown that we can play ball but we haven't shown shown that once we've hit the wall, we can play out of it. We didn't have that "wall" in the middle of last season because Pau came to L.A. but we definitely hit it in the Finals. It's stating the obvious. If one player contributes then they lack in another area. Jordan's the only bench player that you can make an arguement for because he hits his shots. Where's the 3 point threat in Sasha we had last season? Where's the defender/slasher/cutter in Ariza? Mbenga? Yue? Morrison's not playing, either is Brown but he has hops for days.... You throw this team in the Finals TODAY and the case is clear that this bench is nowhere close to the bench they were last season and you won't hear anymore of the "this bench is deep" talk. Compared to Boston who actually has multiple bench contributors (some of those players who you never would've thought to be playing a key role), Cleveland, San Antonio, and Denver- Los Angeles has lost that edge.

#5 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:54 AM

I dunno. When our Bench plays well we absolutely dominate games, but when they play crap the team suffers big time. If you consider the record we have I would say our bench is not overrated at all they're just in a funk right now and it happens to the best of them.

You're right. The Funk happens to ALL teams and we DO have the League's best record... that being said, are we playing like the team who has the best record in the NBA? Our starters are what's been keeping us in these last recent games but you gotta rest them right?- you put in the bench our lead dissipates, you put in the bench we possibly lose the game, you put in the bench and you're not sure their consistency has checked in.

#6 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 02, 2009 - 08:06 AM

My post wasn't put up as a frustration post because of back to back losses. We've shown that we can play ball but we haven't shown shown that once we've hit the wall, we can play out of it. We didn't have that "wall" in the middle of last season because Pau came to L.A. but we definitely hit it in the Finals. It's stating the obvious. If one player contributes then they lack in another area. Jordan's the only bench player that you can make an arguement for because he hits his shots. Where's the 3 point threat in Sasha we had last season? Where's the defender/slasher/cutter in Ariza? Mbenga? Yue? Morrison's not playing, either is Brown but he has hops for days.... You throw this team in the Finals TODAY and the case is clear that this bench is nowhere close to the bench they were last season and you won't hear anymore of the "this bench is deep" talk. Compared to Boston who actually has multiple bench contributors (some of those players who you never would've thought to be playing a key role), Cleveland, San Antonio, and Denver- Los Angeles has lost that edge.

Makes you believe ANY of those teams have a better bench than the Lakers? The Lakers bench is struggling right now, there is no doubt about it. But have a good bench for two years doesn't mean they are overrated. They are the real deal.

Cavaliers have Gibson, Szczerbiak, and Hickson. Really, thats who played last night against the Hawks last night.

Spurs have Bowen, Thomas, Hill, Oberto, Udoka, and Ginobili. Bowen is not the same player he was two years ago. Hill is a rookie. Udoka and Thomas are nice pieces off the bench. And Ginobili cannot stay healthy.

The Nuggets have Anderson, Smith, and Klieza. Anderson is a good defensive presence. Smith is a streaky player as is Klieza.

None of these teams have a better bench than the Lakers. The closest is the Spurs. And give me a break about Boston, before they added Moore and Marbury, they had NO bench. They still dont even have one right now imo. Our bench is one of the most versatile benches in the league. Rebounding, shooting, quickness, defensive player in Ariza.

How is this not the same bench as last season? We returned everyone besides Turiaf, who we replaced with Powell. Ariza is healthy this season.The only one who isnt doing his job is Sasha, and hopefully he will come around before the playoffs.

#7 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts
  • Fan Since:1966

Posted March 02, 2009 - 08:09 AM

Man they hit a rough two game stretch. No need for kneejerk reactions. It is an 82 game season and LA has yet to lose 3 games in a row. Not bad if you ask me. Friday night the entire team was dead and then yesterday they were off. It happens. Ariza will be fine, Josh Powell is doing best he can, Jordan and Sasha need to come around and no reason to think they won't. Phil needs to find a way to get Adam and Shannon some minutes as well. Friday night was perfect opportunity to get especially Adam some minutes and Phil chose to go with Luke and Trevor despite their shots not falling.

#8 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted March 02, 2009 - 08:19 AM

No, but they are slumping as a whole, which is the problem... Talent-wise, the Lakers bench production is far superior than Boston's... Any team would drool for a Lamar Odom at the bench...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#9 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts

Posted March 02, 2009 - 08:56 AM

Makes you believe ANY of those teams have a better bench than the Lakers? The Lakers bench is struggling right now, there is no doubt about it. But have a good bench for two years doesn't mean they are overrated. They are the real deal.

Then they need to start playing like they're the real deal.

Cavaliers have Gibson, Szczerbiak, and Hickson. Really, thats who played last night against the Hawks last night.

And they won last night.

Spurs have Bowen, Thomas, Hill, Oberto, Udoka, and Ginobili. Bowen is not the same player he was two years ago. Hill is a rookie. Udoka and Thomas are nice pieces off the bench. And Ginobili cannot stay healthy.

Just like Sasha isn't the same player he was last season. And when Ginobili's healthy he's dangerous.

The Nuggets have Anderson, Smith, and Klieza. Anderson is a good defensive presence. Smith is a streaky player as is Klieza.

Smith has been contributing more off of the bench lately than any of our bench players individually.
None of these teams have a better bench than the Lakers. The closest is the Spurs. And give me a break about Boston, before they added Moore and Marbury, they had NO bench.

"Had"

They still dont even have one right now imo. Our bench is one of the most versatile benches in the league. Rebounding, shooting, quickness, defensive player in Ariza.

Have them show up then.

How is this not the same bench as last season? We returned everyone besides Turiaf, who we replaced with Powell. Ariza is healthy this season.The only one who isnt doing his job is Sasha, and hopefully he will come around before the playoffs.

Being as deep as we are, we lack that mentality we used as a catalyst we once had in being able to say we were the deepest bench in the league and believe in it altogether. Read my post titled the " our bench right now is over rated". In order to get that back we need to play balls out especially since the season's winding down and losses to a Denver team where their bench dictated alot of the game and a way undermanned phoenix team doesn't help.

#10 wmcguire33

wmcguire33

Rookie

• 43 posts
  • Name:Will McGuire
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted March 02, 2009 - 09:03 AM

I wouldn't call our bench overrated whatsoever. Sasha can come in and hit big shots, Ariza plays lockdown Defense, and when Bynum comes back, we will either have Walton or Odom on the Bench...and those guys aren't good players?

I think we have the best bench in the league, along with the Celtics. Everything changes once Andrew Bynum is back in the starting line-up. It gives us so much more stability, and we can slow the game down and pound it inside, let Kobe do his thing, You know??

WITNESS Kobe.
16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

#11 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted March 02, 2009 - 09:12 AM

Being as deep as we are, we lack that mentality we used as a catalyst we once had in being able to say we were the deepest bench in the league and believe in it altogether. Read my post titled the " our bench right now is over rated". In order to get that back we need to play balls out especially since the season's winding down and losses to a Denver team where their bench dictated alot of the game and a way undermanned phoenix team doesn't help.

I think your problem is that you expect them to show up every single night. And players will not always show up, thats just a common occurrence in any sport.

People seem to forget what our bench has done for us in our biggest games of the season this year. In wins against the Celtics, Jazz, Hornets, Spurs, and Cavs, the bench has averaged 26 points per game.

Now if our bench is not feeling it, then other guys in the starting lineup have to step up. Its easy to put the blame on the bench for our last two losses, but Fisher and Walton didn't step up against the Nuggets. Combined for 13 points. But i'll put the blame on the bench for that because they combined for 7 points. Against the Suns though, our bench did have 21 points, which is decent. But what about the rest of the starting lineup? We know Kobe and Pau did what they did but what about Odom, Walton, and Fish? They combined for 11 points. Thats unacceptable.

Our bench is fine. They come up big for us more times than not. We can't expect them to get 30+ points every night. It would be great if they did. But thats the way the game goes sometimes.

Edited by Westcoast21, March 02, 2009 - 09:13 AM.

#12 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted March 02, 2009 - 09:17 AM

I think your problem is that you expect them to show up every single night. And players will not always show up, thats just a common occurrence in any sport.

Exactly.
Basketball Reasons...

#13 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted March 02, 2009 - 11:51 AM

We still have the best bench in the league and deepest bench in the league. Phil needs to play Odom or Luke more with the 2nd unit because they don't have a leader. Farmar, Stinky, and Ariza look lost without Odom. The bench has been playing bad since Odom started at PF.

#14 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted March 02, 2009 - 01:15 PM

There should be an official Chicken Little thread.

#15 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted March 02, 2009 - 01:19 PM

I agree with the topic starter. Our bench is definitely overrated with everyone here thinking we're still the best in the league and all that. It's not just about the last 2 games, I do watch every game and our bench recently always seems to let the other team come back and Kobe has to save the day.

Not saying they were bad the whole year, I remember when we were killin no matter what. But more recently they have been much worse.

Our starters' ppg is near the top of the league, and our bench scoring is near the middle of the pack (last year it was 1 or 2 wasn't it?).

When our bench is on, we really might be the best/deepest in the league. But we're wayyyy too damn inconsistent to be called that right now.

#16 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted March 02, 2009 - 01:59 PM

When Odom was coming off of our bench, it wasn't. Now it is, due to Odom not being able to distribute and get everybody involved.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#17 JD

JD

Just an Old Relic

• 967 posts
  • Location:Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted March 02, 2009 - 04:34 PM

There's a reason they're "bench players".

zombies.jpg

#18 TheAssassin611

TheAssassin611

"The Young Assassin"

• 892 posts
  • Name:Mohammad Abdulrauf L. Lauban
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted March 02, 2009 - 05:50 PM

Reserve.

#19 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted March 02, 2009 - 05:53 PM

I actually think our bench is much better than the other benches around the league. But bench players aren't always expected to be good anyway.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#20 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,084 posts

Posted March 02, 2009 - 06:10 PM

Yaa you can't expect every single player to play perfectly each game each night. It may be a disappointment when they just don't give their best effort and do stupid stuff but they will all start giving their all again..

Edited by JenFlowDesignz, March 02, 2009 - 06:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users