33 replies to this topic

#21 Samson1987

Samson1987

Rookie

• 539 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Bryant-Gasol-Artest-Brown

Posted March 01, 2009 - 04:24 PM

The Lakers wouldn't do well without Kobe, but I hope we never get to find out who is right and who is wrong on this. The Last thing LA needs is for Kobe to get hurt. People might find out then how it is when some of the others get played straight up 1 on 1 instead of 2-3 always flocking to Kobe leaving some of the others open.

By "well" I mean decent enough to carry them selves in the league. If the Cavs were without Lebron they would definitely be pushovers.
"If you could stop all the players that get publicized and all the players that the NBA likes and all the players, you know, the players that win the MVP's, you know, for their offense. And some of them, you know, play pretty good defense too. But some of them, you know, they like "this guy he can shoot, he can score, he can dunk." and I want to be the one to stop all those guys, you know, and just kinda spoil the whole party." - Ron Artest

#22 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted March 01, 2009 - 09:51 PM

Damn well deserved it that year.

I still think that's his best individual season.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#23 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted March 01, 2009 - 11:30 PM

I don't care if he wins MVP, and I think he doesn't care either, If we win the ring, he will be happy.
Kobe wins the ring, and Lebron the MVP, let's see who is happier.

Of course Kobe would want another MVP, and I would love for him to have another as well. It's not like Kobe can't win the MVP and the title, that's how too many people make it out to be (who cares about MVP it's about rings!)

Kobe is still the better overall player (Lebron has no shot, well not like Kobes)

Everyone just brings up Kobe having a better shot, thus making him better. But Lebron has the much better driving ability (among other things).

The Lakers wouldn't do well without Kobe, but I hope we never get to find out who is right and who is wrong on this. The Last thing LA needs is for Kobe to get hurt. People might find out then how it is when some of the others get played straight up 1 on 1 instead of 2-3 always flocking to Kobe leaving some of the others open.

I know what you mean. It's just that we see how the Cavs play without Lebron, but no one gets to see the Lakers without Kobe cuz he's so damn tough. But notice how every team makes their run right when Kobe hits the bench.
I do think that our team without Kobe is better than Lebron's without him. And I'm proud of that.

#24 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts
  • Name:WILL.I.AM
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba

Posted March 01, 2009 - 11:33 PM

Posted Image

#25 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 01, 2009 - 11:36 PM

MVP should mean most valuable in the NBA, not for your team, and it should have been given to Jordan for a decade, every season, then to Shaq a couple of times, then Bryant for the last few seasons.

Your overall value doesn't drop when you're surrounded by better teammates, and it is an NBA award.

Do you guys think a GM says, "Nah, I'm not trading OJ Mayo for Kobe, since Kobe has better teammates...he's just not as valuable these days."

#26 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted March 01, 2009 - 11:44 PM

MVP should mean most valuable in the NBA, not for your team, and it should have been given to Jordan for a decade, every season, then to Shaq a couple of times, then Bryant for the last few seasons.

Your overall value doesn't drop when you're surrounded by better teammates, and it is an NBA award.

Do you guys think a GM says, "Nah, I'm not trading OJ Mayo for Kobe, since Kobe has better teammates...he's just not as valuable these days."

Yea, the teammate argument shouldn't be allowed.

But Lebron is just as valuable as Kobe I think, in any meaning of the "MVP" award.

#27 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted March 01, 2009 - 11:53 PM

Yea, the teammate argument shouldn't be allowed.

But Lebron is just as valuable as Kobe I think, in any meaning of the "MVP" award.

More valuable to his team, it's LeBron, but close.

The better overall player is Kobe, but it's close (and maybe not as close, but still).

Allen Iverson did the same thing LeBron is right now -- surrounded by a very good defensive team (top in the league), coming out of the East, and possibly leading the NBA in scoring. Iverson won the MVP, scoring title, went to the Finals to play the Lakers, and the Lakers won.

If LeBron gets the MVP and the scoring title, dragging a defensive-minded team out of the East to the NBA Finals, let's hope the story ends the same.

#28 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted March 02, 2009 - 12:06 AM

Allen Iverson did the same thing LeBron is right now -- surrounded by a very good defensive team (top in the league), coming out of the East, and possibly leading the NBA in scoring. Iverson won the MVP, scoring title, went to the Finals to play the Lakers, and the Lakers won.

If LeBron gets the MVP and the scoring title, dragging a defensive-minded team out of the East to the NBA Finals, let's hope the story ends the same.

Hell yea, hopefully Gasol/Bynum would combine to become SHAQ and dominate the paint too. That would be sick.

#29 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:13 PM

Het isnt it funny when guys on defensive minded teams get to the playoffs, how everyone is potrayed as scrubs. i mean defense wins Championships, but a group of defensive players are considered scrubs by the same fans who echo those lines. i would argue that lebron has a stronger cast around him from a TEAM standpoint. sure Pau and odom are supremely talented along with Bynum and everyone else is pretty good. But look at lebron's frontcourt(all gritty defenders) vs. kobe's (all pretty offenders haha), Kobe;s snipers(?) vs Lebron's ( quite a few), and Kobe's creaters( farmar) vs. lebron's( mo ,delonte and boobie). i would say the lakers ADVANTAGE comes in the form of coaching. and IQ kobe over Lebron
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#30 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:24 PM

More valuable to his team, it's LeBron, but close.

The better overall player is Kobe, but it's close (and maybe not as close, but still).

Allen Iverson's team was not a top 3 team in the whole league though. That's the major difference. LeBron's team is competing for the league's best record.

LeBron's team doesn't have the firepower to make it to the finales. Mike Brown has the team overachieving. I still see Boston coming out of it. But that's why the MVP is a regular season award.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#31 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted March 02, 2009 - 07:27 PM

Allen Iverson's team was not a top 3 team in the whole league though. That's the major difference. LeBron's team is competing for the league's best record.

LeBron's team doesn't have the firepower to make it to the finales. Mike Brown has the team overachieving. I still see Boston coming out of it. But that's why the MVP is a regular season award.

I firgue it a different way. All Lebron needs is Mo to average 18 in the playoofs, while each game a different third guy steps up. z, Wally, bobbie, and Delonte are enough. sasha can do something, so they are alright. i mean they have been to the Finals b4 and he pushed Boston harder than we did
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#32 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted March 02, 2009 - 09:08 PM

Yeah they were. That team won 56 games, first in the East, tied with the Lakers for the second best record in the league (Spurs had only two more wins and were in first).

If Cleveland gets home court, they will beat Boston. They would've last season. Nobody has an answer for LeBron this time around: there's no Posey, and PJ Brown isn't gunning for him in the paint...and I don't see Rondo or Marbury holding Mo Williams, either. Cavs can finish them off in six.

#33 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 579 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 03, 2009 - 07:22 AM

Damn well deserved it that year.

I cosign

#34 runoneuno

runoneuno

Rookie

• 786 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted March 03, 2009 - 10:39 AM

The race between this year's MVP was close. Had we won those games in Phoenix and Denver, it would have been closer but these two guys are so amazing that they're valuable to the NBA altogether much less their teams. I agree with the idea that even though Kobe would love to be MVP again, his sights are set on a ring. Lebron'll be the MVP. Poster boy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users