6 replies to this topic

#1 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Horry, Van Exel

Posted February 26, 2009 - 02:18 AM

Throughout the 2008-09 NBA season and particularly just before the Feb. 19 trade deadline, several teams seemed to be cutting salaries for purely economic purposes. Here’s why the Lakers weren’t one of them:

This basketball season, much has been made about the impact of the nationwide recession that’s adversely affecting so many people not just in America but around the world.

Owners throughout professional basketball have made deals that appear, at least on the surface, to have just as much to do with their respective economic situations as on-the-court performance (see: pre-physical Tyson Chandler).

““I think the country’s economic struggles will have an effect on the business of basketball and the NBA.” said Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchack. “It is obviously a tough economic environment right now with a lot of uncertainty going forward. It is essential that all NBA teams and the NBA in New York pay close attention to the economy and how it may affect this great game in the short term so as to ensure its success in the long term.”

Certainly so, but let’s pause for a second … How has the economic letdown specifically affected the Lakers?

Well, with the Feb. 19 trade deadline passing, L.A. made two separate moves, first sending Vladimir Radmanovic to Charlotte for Shannon Brown and Adam Morrison and subsequently exchanging Chris Mihm with Memphis for a future draft pick.

“We did a couple of deals that we think solidifies our roster a little bit and gives us some flexibility down the road,” Kupchak said. “For obvious reasons, we’re very comfortable with our team and we didn’t look to tinker with the core.”

Economics, basketball or both?

http://www.nba.com/l...omy_090223.html

Bleeding purple & gold...

#2 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted February 26, 2009 - 07:36 AM

Trade Stinky in the off season for cap space, or a draft pick and trade exception.

#3 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,909 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 26, 2009 - 07:42 AM

Those 2 trades definately helped us with the $$$ problems.

#4 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,315 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted February 26, 2009 - 07:53 AM

Trade Stinky in the off season for cap space, or a draft pick and trade exception.

:yes:

#5 Machinehead

Machinehead

BringBackSasha

• 6,671 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:Radmanovic's long hair days.
  • Fav. Laker:Sasha Vujacic

Posted February 26, 2009 - 08:13 AM

I have to be honest: I can't take the name Stinky seriously. It's like something my mom would call me as a joke. Names like 'Vujaclank' or 'Vujabrick', they don't bother me anymore, but Stinky, I can't help but laugh at.
Posted Image

#6 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,315 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted February 26, 2009 - 08:45 AM

I have to be honest: I can't take the name Stinky seriously. It's like something my mom would call me as a joke. Names like 'Vujaclank' or 'Vujabrick', they don't bother me anymore, but Stinky, I can't help but laugh at.

Yea, i agree. Stinkyhead is alot funnier to say than just 'Stinky'.

#7 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 26, 2009 - 04:33 PM

I think the two trades were more about economics and money than the article tends to say. Doesn't matter, I liked both trades, but I do think both were economically driven more than anything else, especially Mihm. I think if it wasn't money driven they could have traded Mihm and possibly DJ and the money they sent to Memphis and maybe gotten a somewhat decent center at the trade deadline. Mihm's expiring K and money to buyout DJ might have gotten say a Josh Boone or something like that at the deadline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users