84 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 25, 2009 - 11:40 AM

http://www.hoopsworl...?story_id=11708

I hosted my weekly chat this morning, and during the course of the rapid-fire Q&A the question came up of whether or not the Lakers should trade Andrew Bynum this summer and let the group that got them to the NBA Finals last year and the best record in the league this season continue to comprise their current rotation.

The idea stems from the play of Lamar Odom, who has put up All-Star numbers since taking his place back in the starting lineup. As a starter this season, Odom is averaging 17.2 points, 13.6 rebounds, and 2.6 assists per game while shooting 52% from the field. Meanwhile, Pau Gasol, playing back at the center position, is putting up season-highs of 22.3 points, 11.5 rebounds, and 5.0 assists per game while shooting a season-high 62% from the field.

With that in mind, consider trading Andrew Bynum.

Some Lakers fans will angrily say that Bynum is dominant and the best center in the NBA. Blah, blah, blah. You can't dominate from the bench, and historically we've seen that big men who get injured early and often usually continue to suffer injuries throughout their careers. As one regular emailer pointed out to me today, Bynum just underwent his third knee operation at age 21 and has a four-year deal worth around $50 million. Is that a sound investment?

Let's say you could work a deal with the Detroit Pistons and land Tayshaun Prince for Bynum and add-ons. Now you have a premier perimeter defender - much more important in today's NBA - as well as another Finals-tested All-Star caliber player. Meanwhile Detroit could put Bynum out there with a young core and try to build for the future, which is their new goal.

The NBA has changed. Sure, dominant big men will always have a use, but the permium in the new generation of run-and-gun offense is quicker, running big men like Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom. If that tandem continues to play as well as they have over the last few weeks, the Lakers should consider letting another team take the gamble on Bynum's questionable health. They can win a championship without Andrew Bynum.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Horry, Van Exel

Posted February 25, 2009 - 11:48 AM

Yeah, I want Bynum on this team.

Bleeding purple & gold...

#3 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,654 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted February 25, 2009 - 11:50 AM

no

Posted Image

#4 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,133 posts

Posted February 25, 2009 - 12:20 PM

i'm still one more injury from this crossing my mind

bynums injuries have been the fault of other players unlike oden who has suffered injuries on his own body breaking down

also shaq missed like 20-30 games a year with various injuries yet still the guy has 4 rings

you don't need the big men in the regular season you need them in the playoffs

if bynum gets to a point where he can get injured and come back at full strength we are set

all we need him for is may and june

not january and february
Posted Image

#5 Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles

Bile

• 280 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Byron Scott

Posted February 25, 2009 - 12:24 PM

As much as I hate to say this, he IS expendable. But I don't think there is a player WORTH trading him for that's available. You can give up Bynum for a premier pg and that list is very short at the moment as it pertains to who would be available in a trade.

If Deron Williams all of a sudden became unhappy in Utah I'd ship Bynum for him in a heartbeat. But for a swing player like Prince? Why? We can get enough out of Ariza and Odom playing the 3 to more than make up for Prince. Fisher on the other hand is getting old, and I'm not sold on Farmar as a starting pg for a championship club.

There ARE quite a few players I would trade Bynum for that would be considered "fair" trades, but when you are set at 3 positions and have a deep bench, it doesn't make sense to ship off a kid who could be here for 10 years to bolster our team for the next 3-4 seasons until Kobe starts to wind down.

#6 Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Rookie

• 700 posts
  • Fan Since:1966

Posted February 25, 2009 - 12:25 PM

Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if they could trade him for a couple of players. I know this isn't a popular stance, but I don't buy his injuries are at hands of other players and just a fluke. I think he is injury prone and time will prove me right on that. Besides, I don't see LA entertaining any thoughts of trading him, but for the right package I would pull the trigger. Someone mentioned Joel P and Lamarcus A of Portland for Bynum. I would do that in a second. As I said, I will get hammered for this but that is fine, just my opinion and besides LA isn't going to trade him.

#7 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted February 25, 2009 - 12:27 PM

Who would Bynum get us?

He's not going to bring us another young seven footer. Yeah we could get a perimeter defender, but the Lakers have shown they have no interest in that since we passed on Ron Artest. And I believe you dont trade a big for a perimeter player/defender. You trade a big for a big.

He's had two freak accidents. But he has already shown what he brings to the hardwood.

The only ones that want the Lakers to trade Bynum are haters who dont want to see the Lakers with another dominant big man.

#8 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,133 posts

Posted February 25, 2009 - 12:30 PM

As much as I hate to say this, he IS expendable. But I don't think there is a player WORTH trading him for that's available. You can give up Bynum for a premier pg and that list is very short at the moment as it pertains to who would be available in a trade.

If Deron Williams all of a sudden became unhappy in Utah I'd ship Bynum for him in a heartbeat. But for a swing player like Prince? Why? We can get enough out of Ariza and Odom playing the 3 to more than make up for Prince. Fisher on the other hand is getting old, and I'm not sold on Farmar as a starting pg for a championship club.

There ARE quite a few players I would trade Bynum for that would be considered "fair" trades, but when you are set at 3 positions and have a deep bench, it doesn't make sense to ship off a kid who could be here for 10 years to bolster our team for the next 3-4 seasons until Kobe starts to wind down.

well yes for a guy like deron williams or if chris paul threatened to leave new orleans yes obviously we would make the deal

but centers win championships and not necessarily healthy ones

most big men get hurt its when you come back and how you come back

there becomes a point where you are so mentally sure of yourself you can comeback and perform close to if not at the same level prior to the injury

bynum isn't there yet but when he does get there it will be better to have him on our side

how many dominant centers have there been since shaq

how many dynasties have there been since the lakers

dominant centers win championships i don't care what the league changes to that will always stay the same

Who would Bynum get us?

He's not going to bring us another young seven footer. Yeah we could get a perimeter defender, but the Lakers have shown they have no interest in that since we passed on Ron Artest. And I believe you dont trade a big for a perimeter player/defender. You trade a big for a big.

He's had two freak accidents. But he has already shown what he brings to the hardwood.

The only ones that want the Lakers to trade Bynum are haters who dont want to see the Lakers with another dominant big man.

exactly the lakers hold what 4 out of the top 10 most dominant centers of all time

people got scare when bynum was throwing up 26ppg 14rpg 3bpg

they said to themselves "oh S#$% another laker dominant big man"

now they are looking for ways to get him out of here
Posted Image

#9 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted February 25, 2009 - 12:37 PM

D-Will hell yes.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#10 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,306 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted February 25, 2009 - 12:37 PM

Trading Bynum will be the worst thing this organisation ever makes... A healthy Andrew Bynum is a top 3 center in the NBA IMO...

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Message From Pac

#11 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted February 25, 2009 - 12:49 PM

Trading Bynum will be the worst thing this organisation ever makes... A healthy Andrew Bynum is a top 3 center in the NBA IMO...

Exactly. I don't believe in Bynum being injury prone. T-Mac is injury prone, he was sitting out games due to tripping over his own damn shadow. Bynum had two freak accidents that would have put anyone out, don't care who the player is.

#12 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 25, 2009 - 12:56 PM

i'll take my chances on Bynum....with the exception of Bron and Dwight, i wouldnt trade him for anyone
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#13 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted February 25, 2009 - 01:04 PM

Yes, Bynum is expendable.

All players have their price, some more than others though ;). If we get a good enough offer for Bynum, then I'd trade him without hesitance. He isn't the next Shaq, or the next Dwight, whilst I think he will be good, he won't be OMFG good and therefore he is expendable.

And we would have to be drunk not to trade Bynum for Deron Williams :yes:
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#14 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted February 25, 2009 - 01:07 PM

Yes, Bynum is expendable.

All players have their price, some more than others though ;). If we get a good enough offer for Bynum, then I'd trade him without hesitance. He isn't the next Shaq, or the next Dwight, whilst I think he will be good, he won't be OMFG good and therefore he is expendable.

And we would have to be drunk not to trade Bynum for Deron Williams :yes:

Well obviously players have their price. But you only trade him for a really good offer. A superstar.

#15 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,133 posts

Posted February 25, 2009 - 01:20 PM

the people we are talking about here are unlikely so no hes not expendable

yes if deron williams, chris paul, lebron james, kevin durant start being offered you would be dumb not to pull the trigger

but since each of those are impossibilities hell no

now if in the offseason detroit blows it up and offers us

rodney stuckey, teyshaun prince, and amir johnson

then i might be inclined to pull the trigger

people don't get the worth of good to great centers

and i see things hes not the next this or that

no hes the first bynum the guy at 21 is better than any center at 21 in decades

since shaq

not even dwight was this good a couple years ago
Posted Image

#16 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted February 25, 2009 - 01:25 PM

i'll take my chances on Bynum....with the exception of Bron and Dwight, i wouldnt trade him for anyone

Co-sign.

You don't trade a center with the potential to be a franchise center, unless you get a superstar back.

You don't need an all star PG to win a championship. It would be easier to build a team around a true center compare to a PG. You can always find a good PG in the draft, free agency, or trades.

#17 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts
  • Name:WILL.I.AM
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba

Posted February 25, 2009 - 01:25 PM

HELL NO!!!

I know Drew seems to be injury prone these past couple years but he is only 21!!!

He will heal and believe it or not , he'll grow to be even better than he already is!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted February 25, 2009 - 01:33 PM

would you trade him in the offseason (before this draft) for an above average combo guard AND a No.1 draft pick which could land you Hasheem Thabeet?

Edited by MDI, February 25, 2009 - 01:34 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#19 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted February 25, 2009 - 01:36 PM

would you trade him in the offseason (before this draft) for an above average combo guard AND a No.1 draft pick which could land you Hasheem Thabeet?

No, then you waste another four-five years of Kobe playing at a high level with a quality stacked team.

#20 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted February 25, 2009 - 01:39 PM

No, then you waste another four-five years of Kobe playing at a high level with a quality stacked team.

Andrew's offense is a bonus, its a luxury, not a necessity...his defense however is a necessity and Habeet can bring it better than Drew on that end of the court. Also, we get to upgrade another position that we've been struggling in which is PG, where you don't need a traditional guard.

I still dunno where i stand on this though. I mean he is young and he has plenty of potential. But on the other hand 3 major injuries before the age of 21 is not a good thing either...

Edited by MDI, February 25, 2009 - 01:40 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users