#21 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,849 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 26, 2009 - 10:40 AM

This is what happens when you rely on statistics alone and let a machine do the thinking for you.

Logically illogical conclusions.

Besides, this is Hollinger we're talking about.

#22 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted February 27, 2009 - 01:22 AM

Fact is stats alone can't determine the team's play...how many times has ppl stressed that through?

#23 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted February 27, 2009 - 01:29 AM

Why do people care so much about rankings? Excluding this one, all the other ones are all opinion-based anyways.

The only rankings I care about is league record ranking.

#1 @ 48-10

Besides, Hollinger is an idiot.

#24 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted February 27, 2009 - 02:18 AM

Hollinger is an idiot. Guy should rename it to "ESPN Celtics & Cavs weekly rankings"

DOUCHE.

Yea I remember a few years ago, he used the same formula, so the Cavs and Celts were top 2!

Right? .... wait, am I right?

#25 Samson1987

Samson1987

Rookie

• 539 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Bryant-Gasol-Artest-Brown

Posted February 27, 2009 - 11:14 AM

Bottom line is; if the lakers finish this week perfectly and are still considered a bottom 3 after the Cleveland and Boston upsets then we can safely assume that Mr. Hollinger is quite possibly clinically insane.

I mean the lakers could literally lose 3 games back to back and still retain the best record not only in their conference but the nba. I don't care what the stats say, if that's not considered the best of the best to date... then nothing is.
"If you could stop all the players that get publicized and all the players that the NBA likes and all the players, you know, the players that win the MVP's, you know, for their offense. And some of them, you know, play pretty good defense too. But some of them, you know, they like "this guy he can shoot, he can score, he can dunk." and I want to be the one to stop all those guys, you know, and just kinda spoil the whole party." - Ron Artest

#26 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 582 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 27, 2009 - 11:17 AM

Yes it makes sense.

It's ESPN.

You mean BSPN

#27 Kenrae

Kenrae

Metal Mutant

• 954 posts

Posted February 27, 2009 - 11:34 AM

Bottom line is; if the lakers finish this week perfectly and are still considered a bottom 3 after the Cleveland and Boston upsets then we can safely assume that Mr. Hollinger is quite possibly clinically insane.

No, it means that his equations don't tell everything.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

#28 Samson1987

Samson1987

Rookie

• 539 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Bryant-Gasol-Artest-Brown

Posted February 27, 2009 - 11:50 AM

No, it means that his equations don't tell everything.

Well there's also that.
"If you could stop all the players that get publicized and all the players that the NBA likes and all the players, you know, the players that win the MVP's, you know, for their offense. And some of them, you know, play pretty good defense too. But some of them, you know, they like "this guy he can shoot, he can score, he can dunk." and I want to be the one to stop all those guys, you know, and just kinda spoil the whole party." - Ron Artest

#29 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted February 27, 2009 - 12:24 PM

I guess we'll be pulling off an upset.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#30 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted February 27, 2009 - 12:28 PM

Hollinger is right though, history shows that if you win by more points on a consistent basis, you win more games. Plus, he is adding in strength of schedule, and Lakers SOS is very low for the remaining games left. Power rankings no matter where Lakers are ranked shouldn't matter to us anyway.

#31 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted February 27, 2009 - 12:57 PM

I mean the lakers could literally lose 3 games back to back and still retain the best record not only in their conference but the nba. I don't care what the stats say, if that's not considered the best of the best to date... then nothing is.

Again, his rankings are based on a mathematical formula he came up with. The computer automatically changes the rankings with all the stats and numbers inputted into the formula.

Hollinger's rankings are PURELY stats and numbers based, and he has no control over the rankings a team gets. I don't know why people can't seem to comprehend that.

If you want to see rankings based on OPINION, then read Stein's (ESPN), FoxSports, Sports Illustrated, or NBA.com's rankings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users