• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 OxfDaniel

OxfDaniel

Rookie

• 38 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Horace Grant

Posted August 13, 2008 - 09:35 PM

"[Age] is a bigger problem than doping," Bela Karolyi said. "I think it's more cheating than doping. To look in the eye of everybody and to show up with a team underage? My god, it's not good."

Oh jeez, now thats gotta be a bit silly there.
I need to finish my summer homework. DAMMMMMNNNN

#22 tru'tildeath

tru'tildeath

Rookie

• 768 posts
  • Fav. Laker:chick hearn

Posted August 14, 2008 - 07:15 AM

i saw this but i wasen't paying attention to china's 11year olds. alicia sacramone is pretty hot

#23 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted August 14, 2008 - 07:46 AM

^ Lmao, so I am right. Well there's no point in this case cuz we're just gonna' keep agreeing to disagree. I see it & interpret things one way & you another. I don't know how much investigations/research you've done and or how many documentaries or stuff you've read, but based on everything I've seen, that is why I feel the way I do.

You've always had a knack for almost purposely trying to choose the opposing side sometimes just because. It's kinda' funny actually, not knocking your opinion, but I've just noticed throughout your posting time as this & Xepa..

I'm really on the Chinese side on this. They're the underdogs whether younger or older considering they come from impoverished families. If you read on their point of view, you'd take their side too. Unfortunately the US media does not let you see the human side of Chinese people, and makes you think of China as a machine with a bunch of robots.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#24 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 14, 2008 - 09:21 AM

These children are taken away from their families at such a young age, you think they know anything about their family's financial situation? Gimme a break. They don't know what the hell poverty means. All they know is they're being taken away from their family and forced to do what people tell them to do day in and day out. You really think at age 3 these kids parents tell them, "Alright, you're going to live with these people. Now do what they tell you to do or else we'll starve to death." Whatever medal they won is irrelevant to what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the way these kids live and the way their country treats them. You act as if they're being done a favor by taking these kids from their families. If you're at the point where you'll basically sell your kid, then maybe you shouldn't be having kids. I would never give my child away and reap the benefits. If I'm poor, I'm going to be poor with my child at my side. Life is more important than money or fame. All those years they missed out on with their children, nothing can replace that. Surely not a Gold medal or any medal for that matter. They told a story on NBC about the oldest "woman" on the team, age "20", that she called her parents and told them she didn't like it and wanted to go home but her mom said, "No, you're staying there." I'm sorry I don't care how poor you are, that's F'd up.

#25 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted August 14, 2008 - 12:46 PM

alicia sacramone is pretty hot

Most definitely.
Posted Image

What is she? 19 or 20? Around my age..

Edited by Chicano, August 14, 2008 - 12:46 PM.

#26 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,939 posts

Posted August 14, 2008 - 02:46 PM

dude, theres someting off bout her, dont go for it <_<

#27 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted August 14, 2008 - 05:22 PM

^ Huh? Elaborate por favor.

UPDATE:

Gold Medal Tarnished?

Report on Her Age Surfaces

http://sports.aol.co...3081x1200384844

Too Young to Compete?

BEIJING (Aug. 14) - Just nine months before the Beijing Olympics, the Chinese government's news agency, Xinhua, reported that gymnast He Kexin was 13, which would have made her ineligible to be on the team that won a gold medal this week.

In its report Nov. 3, Xinhua identified He as one of "10 big new stars" who made a splash at China's Cities Games. It gave her age as 13 and reported that she beat Yang Yilin on the uneven bars at those games. In the final, "this little girl" pulled off a difficult release move on the bars known as the Li Na, named for another Chinese gymnast, Xinhua said in the report, which appeared on one of its Web sites, http://www.hb.xinhuanet.com.
The Associated Press found the Xinhua report on the site Thursday morning and saved a copy of the page. Later that afternoon, the Web site was still working but the page was no longer accessible. Sports editors at the state-run news agency would not comment for publication.
If the age reported by Xinhua was correct, that would have meant He was too young to be on the Chinese team that beat the United States on Wednesday and clinched China's first women's team Olympic gold in gymnastics. He is also a favorite for gold in Monday's uneven bars final.
Yang was also on Wednesday's winning team. Questions have also been raised about her age and that of a third team member, Jiang Yuyuan.
Gymnasts have to be 16 during the Olympic year to be eligible for the games. He's birthday is listed as Jan. 1, 1992.
Chinese authorities insist that all three are old enough to compete. He herself told reporters after Wednesday's final that "my real age is 16. I don't pay any attention to what everyone says."
Zhang Hongliang, an official with China's gymnastics delegation at the games, said Thursday the differing ages which have appeared in Chinese media reports had not been checked in advance with the gymnastics federation.

"It's definitely a mistake," Zhang said of the Xinhua report, speaking in a telephone interview. "Never has any media outlet called me to check the athletes' ages."
Asked whether the federation had changed their ages to make them eligible, Zhang said: "We are a sports department. How would we have the ability to do that?"
"We already explained this very clearly. There's no need to discuss this thing again."
The International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) has said repeatedly that a passport is the "accepted proof of a gymnast's eligibility," and that He and China's other gymnasts have presented ones that show they are age eligible. The IOC also checked the girls' passports and deemed them valid.
A May 23 story in the China Daily newspaper, the official English-language paper of the Chinese government, said He was 14. The story was later corrected to list her as 16.
"This is not a USAG issue," said Steve Penny, president of USA Gymnastics. "The FIG and the IOC are the proper bodies to handle this."

#28 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts

Posted August 14, 2008 - 05:30 PM

The Associated Press found the Xinhua report on the site Thursday morning and saved a copy of the page. Later that afternoon, the Web site was still working but the page was no longer accessible.

:lol: So pathetic.

#29 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted August 14, 2008 - 05:32 PM

Can somebody say OWNage? :lol:
getting caught redhanded..

#30 tru'tildeath

tru'tildeath

Rookie

• 768 posts
  • Fav. Laker:chick hearn

Posted August 14, 2008 - 06:01 PM

so gold medals to usa right? that sounds fair.

#31 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,668 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted August 15, 2008 - 04:07 PM

If they want to win medals, they are going to do whatever it takes...
Posted Image

#32 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted August 19, 2008 - 12:04 AM

So essentially, that means that team USA got owned by middle schoolers from poor families. That makes USA's loss look more pathetic.

#33 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted August 19, 2008 - 12:04 PM

^ Being smaller & more importantly, younger, gives you an advantage, don't you get it? Regardless though, US still could've won.

#34 Machinehead

Machinehead

BringBackSasha

• 6,671 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:Radmanovic's long hair days.
  • Fav. Laker:Sasha Vujacic

Posted August 19, 2008 - 12:13 PM

All I know is, if it was one of our girls who was younger than 16, she would be getting ripped apart by the media and our country would look bad. But China is so messed up right now and they'll probably get away with it. It's just unfair.
Posted Image

#35 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,799 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 19, 2008 - 12:16 PM

Ugh, Nastia Liuken getting beaten by He Kexin (That 13 year old) is the worst show of judging I've ever seen. How can you deny Liuken a gold medal if she scores the exact same score? And then they showed the tie-breaking method used to determine the standings. Absolute BS. Taking away the worst and best score of each player to settle the standings is the stupidest method I've ever seen. They should've just let them face off with one more routine. In any case, the judges for Gymnastics are incompetent, what do judges from South Africa or New Zealand know about gymnastics? Heck, they haven't had any relevant athletes in the events for a while. Women's gymnastics in the 2008 Beijing Olympics is a scandal.

#36 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted August 19, 2008 - 03:20 PM

Being smaller, also means you are much weaker. Coming from a poorer country also puts them at a further disadvantage. In the opening show, they showed Lunkin riding with her dad to practice in his Porche. I find it hard to say that rich American girls were 'cheated' out of something.

#37 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,668 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted August 19, 2008 - 03:27 PM

Being smaller, also means you are much weaker. Coming from a poorer country also puts them at a further disadvantage. In the opening show, they showed Lunkin riding with her dad to practice in his Porche. I find it hard to say that rich American girls were 'cheated' out of something.

Nope, small doesn't mean weaker, they train hard in China, we all know that, If you add that to young and flexible you get an advantage. The girls might be poor (not the country, that's for sure) but that doesn't take the matter that they are cheating about their age...
Posted Image

#38 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts

Posted August 19, 2008 - 06:17 PM

Wait, they're at a disadvantage b/c their country is poorer? :lol: You honestly think they don't have all the top notch equipment and coaching there is? Gimme a break. Why would China be so serious about gymnastics to where they'd take little girls as young as 3 years old from their families and then not provide them with the proper equipment, coaching, and whatever else they needed to succeed? You're making a lot of sense.

Edited by nameant, August 19, 2008 - 06:18 PM.

#39 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted August 19, 2008 - 06:55 PM

Wait, they're at a disadvantage b/c their country is poorer? :lol: You honestly think they don't have all the top notch equipment and coaching there is? Gimme a break. Why would China be so serious about gymnastics to where they'd take little girls as young as 3 years old from their families and then not provide them with the proper equipment, coaching, and whatever else they needed to succeed? You're making a lot of sense.

I'm sure these girls have dietitians, massage therapists, and father's who drive luxury German cars. You're making tons of sense too, lmao.

These kids only hope out of family is to live in these Gymnastic camps. I'm going to root for poor kids even if underaged over privileged rich kids anyday of the week.

#40 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted August 19, 2008 - 06:57 PM

Nope, small doesn't mean weaker, they train hard in China, we all know that, If you add that to young and flexible you get an advantage. The girls might be poor (not the country, that's for sure) but that doesn't take the matter that they are cheating about their age...

There shouldn't be an age limit in the first place. It makes no difference in reality though. I don't hear anybody complaining when the US takes an athlete from a third world country and puts them here. Lunkin is in America for that very reason.

The fact is, they were better than the American girls, and nobody can let go of it. It's called being a sore loser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users