Photo

Wilt vs Jordan.. Who was the better scorer?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 02:33 PM

Wilt was triple teamed. Nate Thurmond, Bill Russell were no slouches and you guys just remember there were only like 8 teams in the league. Wilt had to face Russell about 15 games a year not two games a year. Not only was Wilt a great basketball player but he was also a track star and professional volleyball player. This argument reminds me of people who never saw Jordan play and compare him to Kobe. They also would say Kobe was better.
"The way Steve is as a teammate, the way he sets the tone, the way the team kind of takes on his persona. As a coach, that's the best thing in the world. It's easy to coach. He's taking care of the chemistry. You just coach."

Mike D'Antoni

#22 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 22, 2009 - 02:38 PM

Better scorer? Jordan.

#23 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 22, 2009 - 02:41 PM

Wilt was triple teamed. Nate Thurmond, Bill Russell were no slouches and you guys just remember there were only like 8 teams in the league. Wilt had to face Russell about 15 games a year not two games a year. Not only was Wilt a great basketball player but he was also a track star and professional volleyball player. This argument reminds me of people who never saw Jordan play and compare him to Kobe. They also would say Kobe was better.

Thurmond was about 40 pounds less than Wilt. Russell was 55 pounds less, and three inches shorter.

As great as Russell and Thurmond are, they all played against each other, and when it came time to defend Wilt, there was little to nothing anyone could really do.

If you put a 7-1, 275-pound Wilt in there with Dwight Howard and a prime Shaq, he wouldn't be scoring 60s.

#24 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 02:58 PM

Thurmond was about 40 pounds less than Wilt. Russell was 55 pounds less, and three inches shorter.

As great as Russell and Thurmond are, they all played against each other, and when it came time to defend Wilt, there was little to nothing anyone could really do.

If you put a 7-1, 275-pound Wilt in there with Dwight Howard and a prime Shaq, he wouldn't be scoring 60s.

Wilt was incredibly strong and athletic. He would move right around Shaq and overpower Howard. His Length would cause both those two fits. He was ahead of his time with both his athleticism and strength.

http://wiltfan.tripo.../wiltrules.html

Jordan's took more shots than Wilt, yet both averaged 30.1 ppg during their careers. As far as who was the better scorer, there is no question: During Wilt's first 7 years, he scored like no man in history. Jordan never had a 70+ point game. Wilt had 4. Jordan never averaged 38+ ppg for a season. Wilt did it 3 times. I've seen Jordan make ridiculous claims that Wilt was another Shaq, yet Jordan flaunts his ignorance. Wilt came into the league with a jump shot and used the finger-roll and fade-away as go-to moves, whereas Shaq has never developed these shots and spent years with a very raw offensive game made up of dunks. Wilt was stronger than Shaq, a better leaper, and far more schooled in the fundamentals. Furthermore, Cavs GM Wayne Embry disagrees with Jordan. He says Wilt would have no problems against today's defenses. Nearly every rules change has been made to help the defense. Against these rules, Wilt would clearly dominate.
"The way Steve is as a teammate, the way he sets the tone, the way the team kind of takes on his persona. As a coach, that's the best thing in the world. It's easy to coach. He's taking care of the chemistry. You just coach."

Mike D'Antoni

#25 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 22, 2009 - 04:36 PM

Wilt would embarrass Dwight Howard... Wilt could do everything but free throws... He would just run circles around Superman...

Edited by Kwamesaurus Rex, February 22, 2009 - 04:36 PM.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#26 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 04:56 PM

Of all his memories of Wilt Chamberlain, the one that stood
out for Larry Brown happened long after Chamberlain's professional
career had ended. On a summer day in the early 1980s, when Brown was
coaching at UCLA, Chamberlain showed up at Pauley Pavilion to take part
in one of the high-octane pickup games that the arena constantly
attracted.

"Magic Johnson used to run the games," Brown recalled Tuesday after
hearing that Chamberlain, his friend, had died at 63, "and he called a
couple of chintzy fouls and a goaltending on Wilt. "So Wilt said:
'There will be no more layups in this gym,' and he blocked every shot
after that. That's the truth, I saw it. He didn't let one [of
Johnson's] shots get to the rim."

Mike D'Antoni

#27 elpermic

elpermic

Rookie

• 1,021 posts
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:worthy, kobe, magic

Posted February 22, 2009 - 06:54 PM

Shaq weighs more than Yao, but Yao has 5 inches on him.. You don't see Yao scoring 60s..

I'd plow Vanessa Bryant.

#28 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,005 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 06:57 PM

Wilt is the best Center, Low post scorer and possibly one of the best big-man passers EVER! But Jordan is better I guess

#29 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 06:58 PM

Shaq weighs more than Yao, but Yao has 5 inches on him.. You don't see Yao scoring 60s..

I didn't say that Shaq would drop 60 on Wilt, either.

Wilt would be the best center in the league right now, I believe, but he's not the greatest player to ever play the game, and he's the second best scorer in NBA history, and I could argue third.

#30 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 07:05 PM

Darrall Imhoff, who as a 6-foot-10 rookie center for the New
York Knicks had the misfortune of guarding Chamberlain during his
100-point game in 1962, said, "I spent 12 years in his armpits, and I
always carried that 100-point game on my shoulders.

"After I got my third foul, I said to one of the officials, Willy
Smith, 'Why don't you just give him 100 points and we'll all go home?'
Well, we did."

Two nights later, at Madison Square Garden, Chamberlain tried to go for
the century mark again. But Imhoff held him to 54 points. The fans gave
Imhoff a standing ovation.

He was an amazing, strong man," Imhoff said. "I always said the
greatest record he ever held wasn't 100 points, but his 55 rebounds
against Bill Russell. Those two players changed the whole game of
basketball. The game just took an entire step up to the next level."
[Source: Giant Towered Over the Rest, The Los Angeles Times; Oct 13,
1999; Larry Stewart]

Edited by pointguard11, February 22, 2009 - 07:06 PM.

Mike D'Antoni

#31 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 07:16 PM

So you guys must really, really think Wilt could pull down 55 boards in today's game, and score 100, huh? Be honest here.

#32 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 07:40 PM

So you guys must really, really think Wilt could pull down 55 boards in today's game, and score 100, huh? Be honest here.

against Klove or a Chandler less Hornet team YES. Wilt did it against Russell. A hundred points... idk.. maybe. I am talking about Wilt in his prime not the 70's Wilt but the 60's.

Edited by pointguard11, February 22, 2009 - 07:43 PM.

Mike D'Antoni

#33 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 07:44 PM

In Denver, Nugget Coach Dan Issel said, "As I grew up, Wilt the
Stilt was the player. Just the things he was able to do. I guess one
year they told him he couldn't make as much money as he wanted because
he couldn't pass the ball, so he went out and led the league in
assists.

"Watching Wilt, you always kind of got the idea he was just playing
with people. That he was on cruise control and still 10 times better
than anybody else that was playing at that time." [Source: Giant
Towered Over the Rest, The Los Angeles Times; Oct 13, 1999; Larry
Stewart]

Mike D'Antoni

#34 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 07:48 PM

against Klove or a Chandler less Hornet team YES. Wilt did it against Russell. A hundred points... idk.. maybe. I am talking about Wilt in his prime not the 70's Wilt but the 60's.

Come on dude.

And those quotes don't mean much. I've seen highlights of him also. That doesn't mean that I think he can do all of that today.

#35 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 07:53 PM

Come on dude.

And those quotes don't mean much. I've seen highlights of him also. That doesn't mean that I think he can do all of that today.

Russell was no slouch and he got 55 boards off him.

Edited by pointguard11, February 22, 2009 - 07:56 PM.

Mike D'Antoni

#36 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 07:55 PM

Russell was no slouch and he got 55 boards of him.

Russell wasn't a slouch, back then. Again, I'm not saying he would be today, either, but he wouldn't be known for being as good.

So you think Russell would have 11 rings if he was drafted in 1990?

#37 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 07:57 PM

Russell wasn't a slouch, back then. Again, I'm not saying he would be today, either, but he wouldn't be known for being as good.

So you think Russell would have 11 rings if he was drafted in 1990?

They had an 8 team league back then and only two rounds to win a title.

Mike D'Antoni

#38 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted February 22, 2009 - 08:13 PM

Look, both are the better scorers of their eras. Nuff said. But as much as I like MJ's prowess, Wilt's ability stuck it in my mind more.

Bear in mind, we are talking about 2 players in 2 vastly different eras...and also 2 different positions. The game was played differently too in these 2 eras.

You guys would never know how I got to know of the Great Stilt. In 1999, when his death was announced on NBA.com. /slap forehead

#39 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted February 22, 2009 - 08:36 PM

No, actually there wasnt a 3 second violation so wilt could just easily stand in the paint and get rebounds.

The 3 second rule was made during the 1951-1952 season. Wilt didn't play his first game in the NBA till about 1959.
Basketball Reasons...

#40 pointguard11

pointguard11

Starter

• 4,949 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 08:53 PM

. Years ago, teams could pass the ball over the backboard or take a
running start when attempting a foul shot. The former was outlawed
because Chamberlain would use the backboard as a screen, cherry-picking
passes and converting them into layups; the latter was banned after
Chamberlain took a running start, leapt from the foul line and dunked
the ball. Yes, Chamberlain dunked foul shots. And that was long before
Julius Erving or Brent Barry did it (while stepping on the line in the
process) in exhibitions. [Source: Until His Dying Day, Wilt was
Invincible, Associated Press; Oct 13, 1999; Chris Sheridan]

Mike D'Antoni

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users